JJ has surgery?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Cannons, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big deal.

3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is like the one I had...two small cuts, in goes a mesh, you're out of the hospital a couple of hours after you wake up. I was playing the Sunday after I got it. Like a week

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    More early time for other guys, like Dorman.

If it's been bothering him for awhile, this could be a good thing.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    George is right. This shouldn't be a thing at all. A lot hangs on the proficiency of the surgeon. I've seen the mesh sewn in so that it is never comfortable. I assume that JJ will be getting the best possible help.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC there is a women surgeon in Germany that all the big soccer star go to that is said to be the best in doing this procedure. Make no mistake he will make sure he has the very best surgeon. even if it means a quick flight to Germany for surgery and a dose of Sauerbraten.

7. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe TnT went to Germany to have his sports hernia surgery. The US may have learned the techniques, but Germany was certainly the place to go a few years back. Don't recall who the surgeon was, but I expect JJ will find his way to the right person.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  8. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't care who does this surgery as long as it works. Flying all the way to Germany to get operated on would probably have resulted with a happy ending but then he would have to fly back too. Since his Family is in Cali...makes sense to have it done there

9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An old article from the New York Times from when Pat Noonan has his first sports hernia surgery. There is a little description of what a sports hernia is in the article. End of the article also has notes on Gulati's first courtship with Klinsmann.

10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    My concern is not the surgery. My concern is what happens with the start of the MLS Season and the US Nat games - when will he be able to play for the Revs or will he called in for those European games?

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think the plan was to do it in/around LA. That's why there was the quick announcement. He's been in LA, will have the surgery there and recuperate there. If there's a surprise involved, it's that he probably won't see Arizona at all.
    The Revs can't be too dependent on him. I think it's a benefit for them to learn to play with and without him (or any one guy, for that matter). At this point in time, it's good to get Dorman (or whoever) working in that spot and developing within the lineup.

We shouldn't expect (or even want) our best 11 for every game. We want them there are the end, but we should aspire to be a team where different guys can slot into the lineup for any particular game and that no one is indispensable.

As for the European games, Klinsman will probably be looking to use his Euro-based players more. I wouldn't expect Jones to be called up every time.

dncm repped this.
  12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I agree with a lot of this. We cannot let the other teams get the sense the Revs are "weak" without Jones - so testing this depth will be important. Pressure on Heaps and players then to make this happen. If they can't, then pressure on FO to get better depth (I believe NFLPatriot has mentioned a couple of times all the open roster slots...)

Just looks like a lot of activity in the early parts of the season.

As for the Europe games, I agree with you - but if he is trying to convert Jones and get ready for that big Mexico friendly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Klinsmann call him in if healthy to get reps as this CB experiment continues (whether 3 or 4 in the back).

Could mean the Revs miss Jones for final 2 weeks of preseason and 4 of the first 6 games. Yikes!

NFLPatriot repped this.
  13. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who had surgery recently I know first-hand it's not a fun experience so it's great to see things seemed to go well with Jermaine and here's to a quick recover. Because without him, we are having some serious issues again.

16. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now theyre saying 4-6 weeks recover for JJ and missing our opener. This seems like a long time if it were a mesh patch. Im not too happy about this. Imagine if he skipped the Jan camp and had the surgery then... he'd be ready to join the Revs now. Bad timing on his part and I don't like the fact that he chose that camp over being ready to join the team that pays his salary

BERich repped this.
  17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reference please

18. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I think Jermaine sees possibly three plus years with the USMNT in his future. I am not sure he sees as much time in his future with the Revs. This could be a factor of influence.

I agree that it sucks that he will miss time with the Revs, but the Revs can easily absorb this in an MLS where the regular season is devalued.

I wonder how the Krafts feel about it?

20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should be good to go by the time the strike is over.o_O

VTSoccerFan, NFLPatriot and a517dogg repped this.
  22. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have commented previously that the big clubs fight to not release their players to their respective nat teams and this is the reason why! Here's where I agree with the owners, who pays your salary???

Can you imagine; hi, I'm Tom Brady and I'm going to camp cupcake to train and then play a couple of friendlies; because I want to play 4 years from now in the world football championship. Oh, and by the way; after the camp I'm going to have surgery, be out for 4 to 6 weeks and miss the beginning of the season.

23. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's frustrating in that regard. Heck, Jones may be too old by the time 2018 rolls around. But on the other side of the coin, maybe it's a good thing that the Rev's aren't too dependent on J.J.. Last year we obviously were. Basically, for the most part, when he played we won, when he didn't we lost.

24. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    While that's certainly true for the larger teams in the world, I'm guessing the marketing the Revs get from having their players in USMNT games is a big enough benefit to outweigh the possibility of injury. Also, who's to say the players wouldn't have picked up an injury in practice with their club team? Obviously Jones' sports hernia is a different situation. I wonder how long he's had it for?