Jermaine Jones

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by nealesk, Jun 12, 2011.

1. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any news on what went down there at the end?

2. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

huh? I know he was unhappy to be coming of. Rightfully so since he was playing better than some who stayed on:p

3. UndeadFan

UndeadFan Red Card

Jun 4, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    He showed his true punk-itude. Send him back to Germany.

4. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see this is what I wanted to talk about. Because to me, the real punk are the zombies out there sleepwalking through the game taking orders from robobob.

jermaine is a true patriot for showing his commitment and frustration with the lack of focus and determination we showed on the pitch. It was a disaster and I'm proud of him for showing his disappointment - in fact isn't that what is supposed to make america so great? FREE SPEECH>

BB deserves to be called out.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    To be honest, I thought he was probably frustrated with his OWN play tonight. He was really poor, especially by his club standards.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. No big deal. We let Agoos back in the fold after he burned his jersey and shit in the mouth of baby bald eagles.

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The First Amendment. You should read what it actually says.

8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really not joking when I say this...

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves the team.

9. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    that's what i thought.

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I like what Jones brings to the team. It seems everyone has become Bob's obedient student, but Jones is that one kid who always says what is on his mind. He brings some attitude to what seems a pretty complacent team.

11. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Jones play was better than at least half of the team tonight. Guess the wise one, Bradley, thought otherwise.

12. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And once again, I say it.

Who can blame him with this joker of a coach?

Jones could have played a better game. By all accounts, he played poorly. That said, a certain Micheal Bradley looked like a botched third trimester abortion out there. It wasn't fun to look at. At all.

I would take "Poor" before "Abominable" any day of the week.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jones is locked in with America now. He played in a meaningful tournament so no going back. He can of course quit national team duty but the reason he switched was because he wanted to play internationally.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    this will be interesting to follow.

15. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bet it will be. I have the sneaking suspicion that Jones is gone while Bob Bradley is the gaffer. So let's hope he isn't gone for long.

Jones can't switch back to Germany, so we've got him. He can, of course, retire from international duty, but Jones I think is a player that will outlive the current manager.

The problem here is what it means for the future. As long as BB remains coach, I can't imagine anybody with dual eligibility beating down the door to play for this squad. (Chandler, Starikov, Diskerud etc.)

16. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that yellow card was completely bull shit, that take away was the cleanest I've seen from any US player period and he go a yellow for it, and in truth he had to play timid for the rest of the night or otherwise he would've gottin his second yellow so that's one of the reason's he was pissed off and the others we have discussed already I believe, just wanted to point that out incase someone forgot.

17. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see what happened at the end. I like Jones and thought he was excellent. His defensive work in the first half was about all there was to get excited about.

Someone youtube the incident.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I would like for him to tattoo the moment.

19. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't miss him if he does.

20. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexican ref, smug bastard. Very weak yellow.
    Jones is better than 90% of our roster, maybe 98%?
    Jones stays. Coach Bob goes.
    Not only did Jones play cleanly, but Panama did too, surprisingly.

21. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This US inferiority complex has gotten way out of hand.

It's not like Jones is some huge superstar whose career is so awesome he'd quit international duty to focus on playing in Europe and winning accolades. (I'm not singling him out either, that goes for any of our current NT players.) I think maybe people tend to assume he wouldn't have any interest in the lowly ol' USA since he got a nice run going there in the Premier League, but it wasn't that long ago he was being shunted into the Schalke reserves, and observers weren't really interested in whether Magath was right for that or not.

I mean, yeah, he's a dramatic guy, and anyone could be forgiven for being severely pissed off at Bob Bradley right now. Still, I don't think he's temper-tantrum-screw-you-guys-I'm-out-of-here dramatic, especially given the erratic nature of his club situation. If he somehow does decide to pick up his toys and leave, then that'd be more hilarious than garment-rending-worthy to be honest. It's not like he's been Rijkaard out there, you know? We have some depth, we'd survive without him.

22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones came out hard and tough. Appeared to be on top of his game.

In the 18th minute he tackled a Panamanian player from behind as he attempted a shot. He got a yellow card and the free kick, ultimately led to Panama's first goal as Jozy (yes) failed to mark his man on the play.

Jones is not familiar with the Concacaf play, style, refereeing, diving etc.
    His play and confidence deteriorated a bit after that.
    I was concerned he was a risk to pick up a second card.

Hard to say what was going on when he was subbed off. Certainly, he was frustrated.

He reminds me of the typical new kid at school who comes in and expectations are high. I hope he can settle down, plug in and play a match in a USA shirt that he appears capable of. He appears a good player who is a bit reckless, thoughtless and out of control. I am sure he must be frustrated. I think he is trying a bit too hard. I would like to see him get it together, tune in and offer solid performances.

23. MeastFootball

MeastFootball New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays with passion unlike most of these players who don't seem to give a shit.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    As I believe all teams should be built on the 'Major League' model of personality over resumes, Jones is one of the only guys, besides Clint who doesnt act like a pampered suburban kid. He has personality. He is fiery. All teams need this kind of player.

It is a nonsene argument until you start piecing together all the very good and great teams and you start seeing some patterns that go beyond just being a good footballer. You have to have a character that separates you from the rest.

Spain have Puyol, Germany have Schweiny, france had heaps of it not so much now, which might be the problem with them, brazil hasnt won without crazy Romario and Ronaldo and Rivaldo, all guys who played and lived with their own style. All have players who rise above just football and find a way to generate personality. In 2002 we had the craziest player maybe ever on the team. My hope is Jones, along with Dempsey bring this team some much needed confidence and personality.

yes, this is all nonsense, but it doesnt hurt to have some guys bring the crowd with them.

25. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The only reason I think he was brought out was because he was on a yellow and he was attempting slide tackles from behind. Jones is guy who you want on your team when we play physical teams especially when he is playing well and is at thuggish best such as his early elbow to the kidneys.