Jermaine Jones off to LA?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Deep Wilcox, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was going to write:

"Dude's a total mercenary.

He really has no sense of club, just a sense of where he can get a higher paycheck."

But I guess everyone is like that, no?

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it has been brought up by someone else that his family lives in LA, even when he was "playing" here.

Sports Yak repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    He played hard when he played. The statement he made just hours after being bounced out of the playoffs sucked, but I don't think it reflected the effort he gave.

I think we always knew his time with us would be short. He signed here out of desperation, and with the Rapids, his incentives (show he was still a big time player) dovetailed with what the team needed--a quality player to be that intense guy Pablo wanted.

I'm glad we had him for a year, wish he could have played more games. Also glad he helped show what would happen if the team brought in true quality.

5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This comment brings up a thought. JJ was HUNGRY to prove himself while here. When he gets to LA, he will be at home, making his money in the twilight of a career. Not saying he won't be his normal self, but I wonder if he was more aggressive here than he would be otherwise.

rod.

Stuart95, AlbertCamus and wormhole repped this.
  6. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense. The info I got last year was Jones was the one who reached out to the the Rapids. He contacted the RFO directly and instructed his agent to "make things happen" once the Rapids indicated they were interested. The suggestion was JJ was fully aware he was a bit of a poison pill in the MLS and was willing to prove himself so he could move on.

7. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It was a pleasure having him here. Quite a few memorable moments; my favorite was his scoring in the snow game. JJ helped make us relevant again. Wish it wasn't LA, but I wish him well.

I'm hoping the front office enjoyed being complimented for the first time in years and will want to bask in that glow next year.

8. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gave us a spark for the first games he played. Wasn't the same after the Copa America break and injury. I appreciate he made people talk about the Rapids again and hopefully they can continue that momentum by making another big signing this year. In my opinion, LA can have another heavily worn over 35 player.

Totoro and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I had dinner with JJ about a month ago and, yes, he reached out to Pablo personally. Lots of interesting tidbits in the conversation over the course of a two hour dinner and I obviously have a lot of respect for the guy.

He's definitely advocating in his own best interest - that's for sure, and he's done an awesome job at it.

wormhole, zapem_10 and Rod1916 repped this.
  10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Stuart95, SccrDon, fortcollins and 5 others repped this.
  11. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a huge heart in the middle of the formation. Maybe his knee is out and he is transitioning out....Sad to see him go.

R

12. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree. I love the way he plays.

13. Waterboy66

Waterboy66 Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think the unfortunate part about this is that I only saw one player this year who was able to noticeably and consistently improve our attacking ability, and that was Jermaine Jones. The combination of the work rate, confidence on the ball and vision to find players in better attacking position (which wasn't often so it was even more critical) will be hard to replace. I understand that health issues and economics suggest that it wouldn't make sense for the Rapids and a trade was best-case in that respect. Good luck to JJ. He gave everything he had while he was here, and that's more than we can say of others who came before him.

22SteveD, kucsdat, Rod1916 and 4 others repped this.
  14. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
  16. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how I read that link:
    So they must be at DP salary to use TAM on them. So he's making between $480K and $1M.

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar to 2016 with the Rapids when JJ made $650K and was bought down with TAM. $525K was the Galaxy offer last week that was "leaked" by league sources per ESPN.

kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    So about $52.5 k /match ...

rapidogordo repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club: