Jay Heaps after 5 years: still the right guy for the job?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Heaps still be the coach for the 2017 Revs?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    81.4%
  3. Yes - but on a short leash.

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our FO/Manager have stuck us in the Augean Stables. We need a Hercules just to wash all the accumulated crap away.

A Casual Fan and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From your lips to God's ears. Aren't the fans first, and the players second, and other considerations a distant third? Right now your saying to the fans (and the players) that this is OK. This isn't just losing, it's an embarrassment to the franchise (as bad, in my mind as Joe Public or selling the home leg to Alajuense).

TOAzer repped this.
  3. Brian Gockley

Brian Gockley Member

May 20, 2004
    Lewisburg PA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not firing Heaps and Burns just makes them look even more like the worst owners in MLS! Way to prove your critics right!

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Revs took too long to move on from Steve Nicols when he proved adamant about not rethinking his approach to the team even after the decline had run for years. But at least he had a record of genuine accomplishment and of knowing how to cobble a good and cohesive team from seven samurai and a handful of dust....
    ...... Jay's only goddamn accomplishment was playing for Coach K. So why has he gotten 5 years of wasting away a side that was brimming with young and confident talent? The gap between what this team could have been, and what he has done with it, is astonishing.
    The BB&H branch of the Kraft Corporation is a perfect failure, and we are the chumps who invested life and money in it while others run off to the Cayman Islands with their stash.

RevsLiverpool and pwykes repped this.
  5. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it? I think it turns a profit.

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kind of profit Madoff made when he looked the kiddies in the eye and said: "Trust me, kiddies, if you like what you have now then you haven't seen anything yet".

7. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm basing my statement on the numbers Forbes has calculated which aren't (far as I can tell) provided by the Krafts or MLS. The team makes money. In business that's usually a good thing. So from a business standpoint, the Revs aren't a failure.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Well at least we have some clarification.

Per Brad in 72', in regards to the captaincy, Heaps likes to have a "shared load leadership" with more voices because the team is in a tough time and one voice is not enough in the lockeroom or on the field.

I almost fell out of my chair.

There is so much wrong with this, I almost can't even put into words. We know there are NO real leaders on this team like Jones was (and don't tell me Soares - he was a bully to his own teammates - not a leader). But you gotta pick someone who you plan to play every game, and who can be the guy to rally people.

That is the coach's job to get it right - the captain has to the extension of the coach, because the coach himself has to be a leader. Heaps can't get it right because he is not one himself (just like Calvijo couldn't). Both guys will be referred to as former coaches of the Revs.

And this continues the distributing themes that we have read about IMO about his philosophy on other things like Kamara or Agudelo's role - shared scoring, shared this, shared that.

Youth soccer mentality that will not take this team ANYWHERE

Doublecard repped this.
  9. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert Kraft a couple of months ago told Forbes, that after the first five years the Revs have turned a profit every year

10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are plenty of "aren't a failure" companies that have products I won't spend a single cent to procure (cough Chevrolet for instance cough). The REVs fall into that category.

Then there are the companies that make money and I have little choice but to spend money with them (cough Verizon Fios and.or Comcast) because they are quasi-monopolies. Are the Revolution operated like that? I know I will receive dozens of posts about youth, college, semi-pro, division 2/3, alternatives but, for the tens of thousands of NE brains that aren't going to work that hard, the REVS are IT for "professional" soccer in the North East.

They are making money while they are routinely
    1. Failing to make the entire set of off season signings they themselves identify
    2. Failing to fill their roster with adequate talent by pre-season or opening day
    3. Failing to take adequate points, March to August, to have a reasonable chance of making the playoffs w/o a heroic late season march.
    4. Failing to make said late season march.
    5. Failing to sign mid-season talent to fill out the team well enough to make the, at this point almost scripted, late season march
    6. Failing to provide adequate coaching to guide a team, while short on roster depth full of promising pieces, to a successful and, more often than not, winning style of play.
    7. Failing to develop their promising young talent into next level players (Fagundez, Rowe, Farrell, Caldwell, Cropper, Herivaux...)
    8. Failing to win on the road
    With such a record of mediocrity, it is a shame that your comment about them making a profit is correct. One would like to see the Krafts and this management team get the outcome they deserve.

On a different note, an earlier post talked about SN at least having a record of putting seven Samurai together with other chaff to form a team. IMHO, the last several years of the SN era showed he had NO IDEA how to pick/sign players (the responsible parties were always too hard to identify). One thing that I think BB&H have done BETTER than SN is put a (short on numbers) fairly talented set of players together. Sadly, the available coaching means the sum of the parts is far far below expectations. Maybe Burns needs to be fired, Heaps moved to scouting and signing talent and a good coach brought in to concentrate on coaching?

RevsLiverpool and A Casual Fan repped this.
  11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Great post and I know where you were going with the theme of changing - but IMO Heaps has demonstrated that he is not great at scouting or evaluating talent - foreign or domestic or youth. The Revs needs a real scout and some "connections" in other countries.

Now, maybe there is something to this. Put him and his financial background in the back office

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Heaps still has a job, huh?

Aaaaaalll-RightyThen!

CynicRev, pwykes and Feldspar repped this.
  13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that guy applied for the position that Cathol now holds. He had ties to several Dutch, Belgian and German teams but the Revs were not willing to pay him

VTSoccerFan and dncm repped this.
  14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Wow - I must have missed this? Who was this and how far back?

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not going to name names but Cathol was hired when they low balled this particular person. I know him personally and he brought a lot to the table

dncm and a517dogg repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, he had worked with a lot of fairly big clubs, like Eintracht Frankfurt, PSV, and a few others. This was maybe 2-3 years ago.

dncm repped this.
  17. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding, dong, the witch is dead;

Maybe time to lock this thread.

#FireBurns

RevsLiverpool, MM66, metoo and 1 other person repped this.
  18. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Thank you to Jay for the effort, regardless of the results. Based on all the evidence, I suspect a very difficult org to work in. He did so for years, so credit to him for the long slog.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in the other thread, I liked Heaps as a person and I wish him well in whatever he does next in life.

That said, this is a move that should have happened at the end of last season.

TOAzer, MM66 and Doublecard repped this.
  20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps fiddled while Revs Burns..............................

Burnsena Delenda Est!

MM66 repped this.