Japanese un-welcome at China Asian cup2004??

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by LeslieSantosfan, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What are you talking about?!? The police said there are many gathering there by the bus and thought if they start something it may be bad. Its not china's fault the bus left without counting heads. Those two left behind wasnt outside of the bus, I read reports they were in the locker rooms.

-response to Almogavar92

Yobbish?! Maybe you failed to see the photos of large amounts of the crowd waving iraqi flags, you think those fans brought an iraqi flag?! they were distributed to them so there is support for the team. Yobbish people wont go support a neutral nation.

"Rape of Nanking or humiliating pictures from the Boxer's REbellion... cause that's the same thing they're doing there by putting that picture of Sadaam while the new Iraqi team is playing. "

-You are not a very bright individual are you?! How are the two situations the same? Picture of an individual, compared to the picture of mass killing of innocent women and children. If the chinese crowd brought picture of the gasing of the kurds it would be close, but a picture of saddam is prob not even considered to be offensive considering he will never break free and rule iraq again.

If you bring pictures of the Japanese killing Chinese to a game then that would be the reason for the chinese crowd to boo the japanese anthem and really physically hurt the japanese players.

2. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i kinda agree with most your points, but not this. having pictures of saddam was low. its like middle easterners bringing picture of hitler in israel matches. i think there's something wrong with that.

3. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Hell no. CCTV didn't even broadcast the first 2 Japan games live. Also the Chinese media said some fans in the stadium had their banners with offensive words confiscated by the security guards.

4. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So is that why the Chinese were booing the anthems? Please.... there's just been a recent trend in hostile and adverse behavior by some CHinese fans..and there are some Japanese and Koreans here wondering what is the cause of this? It looks childish... then seeing CCTV during the 2002 World Cup just bash Korea when our countries never played a game against each other in the tournament...where the f____ does this anger come from? Seriously? On one hand, Chinese can't get enough of our TV shows and shiet, and on the other, this abberrant behavior in and around the stadia that's becoming more and more prevelant. YOu're taking five steps backwards.

And the analogy I made is dead on! A picture of Sadaam speaks a thousand words... like "your son was the assh***e who tortured us when we lost a game." Or "you killed my ______ (insert family member title)." Or how about "my life was f****ing miserable when you controlled it for the last 20 years." WTF!!? Do I have to elaborate? That one picture will speak more than the thousands of you sitting in the stadium waving your gas station issued Iraqi flags.

5. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A picture of Saddam is a dead on analogy with the pictures in the link I provided??

WARNING EXTREMELY VIOLENT WAR IMAGES...
    http://www.princeton.edu/~nanking/html/image_5.html

YEA Almogavar92? Look at the site and come back and tell me that a picture of the Rape of Nanking is the same as a disposed dictator.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Guys, keep it civil please.

No, I don't think a picture of Saddam compares to images from the Rape of Nanjing. But that doesn't matter - both are offensive, and both are symbols of painful times in each country's history. There's no point in comparing which is more offensive than the other, because they are both tasteless, and they both taunt the opposition in a low, classless way, IMHO.

7. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    As far as the booing of anthems go, I'm not sure if the hooligans of China make fine distinctions, but I don't think I'd be happy about hearing the Kimigayo and seeing the Hinomaru. Japan, when "reborn" after WWII, should have gotten a new anthem and flag. There is too much baggage with these two symbols.

A few years ago the JMSDF (Japanese Navy) visited a Korean port for the first time since WWII. A Japanese friend asked me how I felt about the JMSDF still flying the Asahi flag, espcially in a Korean port. I told him that, to be honest, it does not feel good. However, if both countries can move forward and focus on improving the present and future relationships, then I think I can get over it.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you should have a common courtesy for your opponent and their fans. Even in sports there's a certain etiquette fans should follow. Yeah, the national anthem to you is just a song but don't tell me you won't be pissed if someone started booing and whistling througout the Korean national anthem. There might not be a rule stating that you're not allowed to boo during the national anthem, but have some respect man. It's just something that should be universally followed, and most decent sports fans do.

And no, I don't boo non-sport related issues because well.....it's not an issue at a sporting event.

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Uruguay will surely host the 2030 Cup -- the Centennial of the World Cup, the first of which was held in Uruguay in 1930. I'm sure FIFA will bend over backwards to assist Uruguay in holding the Cup. We know S. Africa will host in 2010, and it's been rumored England intends to bid for 2018. That leaves 2014 for a possible return to Brasil and South America or, as is suggested above, the Persian Gulf in Asia.

Political stability can take many forms. Afghanistan was quite stable under the Taliban's rule, but it would not have been a choice location for a World Cup. Nor would a wealthy version of such a state be a good choice, since many western and pro-western countries would not be welcome -- which is not in the spirit of good sportsmanship as most FIFA members would interpret that spirit.

Ten years is not a long time, one might say it is barley a second on the clock face of China's history. I would look to 2022 or 2026 for a World Cup to be staged in the Gulf region, with a return to North America at some date between now and then.

10. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This whole booing anthem topic is getting twisted and turned all over the place. Bottom line, it is wrong but saying japan is not welcome in china is an overstatement. The chinese fans here who post and discuss on BS are not the type to disrespect the opponents, so posting negative comments generalizing chinese fans is going to be offensive to us.

Just drop it and enjoy the rest of the asian cup.

11. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    [​IMG]
    Some Korean fans at a K-league game. With their "Hitler, Anyang empire" banner.

12. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i wasn't going to respond in this thread but i must sing "oops i did it again" for jamisont and almogavar

13. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    An etiquette by so called "western" society standard? A behavior that is considered rude in one culture may not be the same in the other. The level of emotions or sentiments Americans feel toward the flag and the anthem is very different in Korea, for example. That doesn't mean Koreans are lesser of patriots than Americans, it's just they take it differently. Sort of explains how Kim dong-sung threw his flag on the ground and not many people in Korea blamed him for it. If he was American, he wouldn't have done it.
    I agree that throwing one's own flag or booing other's national anthem are still still tasteless but differences in the tolerance level exist from country to country. And to condemn the deed judging by his own ideology is also tasteless. How many Americans know that it's extremely rude not to take off their shoes when entering Korean's house? And how many Koreans know it's rude to take off shoes when entering American's house? Can't we all be little bit more understanding to others especially when we're dealing with those in inner China whose people have not exposed to western culture? I'm sure if it was in Hong Kong or Shanghai, they wouldn't have done it.

14. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    kc123 picked out a nice example.
    Those who used Hitler's image in their supporters' flag do not know what kind of impact it has toward some other people. They're using the graphics only because they think it's "cool." If someone educates them bout its implications, they would stop and even would apoligize. The world is not as open as many of you think. Most of Koreans or Chinese have never gone out of their country. Cut some slack.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I just moved a post that was blatantly trolling. As I said at the beginning of the thread, we won't allow baiting or trolling in this thread.

Thanks.

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I can understand your argument, like they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

But when you have so many cultures mixing like at the Asian Cup, doesn't we make sense to have some sort of general standard regardless of nationality? I would think that respect for symbols, like flags and anthems, would be standard for all of soccer? I don't know.

You mention western society standards, but soccer is a western sport, and is founded on English concepts of sportsmanship. Does that extend to the supporters?

17. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    sino-iraqi friendship
    [​IMG]

18. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Its like taboo, I've seen some weirdos in both Japan and Korea (also US) who collects nazi symbols, german soldier uniforms, helmet (for motorcycle), shoe etc.

There's huge difference between those 2 pics.
    hittler flag was for themselves (it could be offensive who's been suffered by Hittler) while the photo of Sadam in Iraqi game was to insult Iraqi IMO. (in taste of bad joke)

19. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Yeah, in Korea, having an obsession for eccentric things or activities is called, "Mania (매니아) "

The dudes with the Hitler paraphernalia are "mania" freaks.

20. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    [​IMG]

nice job..two thumbs up :D

21. LiveinYokohama

LiveinYokohama New Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Two Chineses who supported Japan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were surrounded by the crowd.
    [​IMG]

And they were taken out of the stadium.

22. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
  23. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Those pictures cannot tell you anything, The couple couldve shouted profanity at the japanese team, the people around them were laughing, not attacking them. You cant just add caption to photo you find on the internet.

24. riceburner3508

riceburner3508 New Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    all this unrest in the sports comes from thousands of years of history. China and Korea especially hate Japan because of the countless times Japan has invaded those countries.

and then youve got all those recent Japanese abductions at the hands of the Koreans. its just all the political unrest.

25. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe that they did change the flag (slightly). During the 30-40s Japan flew the Rising Sun flag w/ the rays emitting from the central sun.

As far a booing national anthems go...Yes, it is uncivil and is not limited to "hooligans". Look no further than the Dutch fans in Portugal who hissed during the German national anthem. Although some may want to claim that this had to do with the war, the fact is that anti-German sentiment amoung the Dutch has much more to do with football than the World War II. (cf. Simon Kuper "Ajax, the Dutch, and the War")

I work with a number of Chinese nations and they all swear that the team they dislike is South Korea. The three people I spoke to all admire the Japanese style of playing, while the Koreans are dismissed as defensive.