Japanese Team Names

Discussion in 'Japan' started by C-bus, Feb 24, 2007.

1. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    no it was not, i shit stirred everything so i started it and i deeply apologise

sorry everyone

2. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Apology accepted, now, without talking about whales, can anybody tell me why Nagoya is 'Grampus EIGHT' ?

Where is the EIGHT coming from??

3. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nagoya City has eight norms or rules that the local government wants people to follow.

4. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What, you've never heard of the Boya from Nagoya (aka Jaco Pastorius & Kenwood Dennard) or the borough from Urawa? :confused:

5. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The whaling situation has reached at least a talking point in Australia. Unfortunately for the Japanese, because of their continual attempts at deception, their rigs are no longer taken seriously and each one found in Australian water is now pulled up.

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ok, probably I did not make myself clear:

:eek: *** NO MORE WHALES IN THIS THREAD *** :eek:

And no more bad language as well, thanks!! :)

7. cisco80

cisco80 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    yokohama
    "Cerezo" means cherry tree in Spanish? I knew that, but I wonder why? I guess it's because the Japanese have an affinity for cherry trees :eek:.

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Cherry blossoms are a metaphor for beauty and impermanence. A very important symbol of Japanese aesthetic and philosophical ideals.

A really apt name for a team that often blooms thru the season, to fall on the ground at the very end... :p

I hope you know this blog, required reading for all Cerezistas of the World.

==>> http://www.cerezo-osaka.blogspot.com/

9. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    hey! a fellow Cerezo fan! amazing ^^

10. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Pfft, we've blossomed way higher than Sanga ever will u know ;) Sure, u've won the league-cup once, but when it comes to the league....:eek:

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm way late to the party here...
    but to add to this, it specifically refers to the terrifyingly large yellowjackets (suzumebachi) around Fukuoka.

[​IMG]

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Today my Marinos stayed true to the mascot, laying an egg at home.:(
    [​IMG]

13. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    It doesn't work like that. There are plenty of cute pictures of whales on logos, banners, posters etc in Japan. Makes no difference. It's like watching the pig's movie 'Babe' starring his chicken friend. Most people found that movie cute. Then went on to eat bacon and egg sandwich. Whales in Japan aren't as black and white as in the west, where the media bombardment of negative stigma combined with the majestic imagery of whales are propagated. Many english based media is a good example of this. When it comes to whaling, generally the discipline of investigative journalism tends to go out the window, with terms like "endangered" and "numbers have plummeted" being emphasized (which are both abstract terms which strike home without any additional data) and various glorifying adjectives are used lavishly to buff up the holy image of whales. Not necessarily a bad thing, I know. But it's not a news media's job to propagate what it considers to be righteousness - rather, they are meant to present both sides "as they are", and let viewers make up their own mind. When it comes to whaling this element is distinctly missing in the western media (my apologies for generalization), as I've come to find out.

Cut long story short, in Japan whales are not seen as a sentient being as such, which makes it just like pork and chicken. Most countries, especially the ones which built its food culture upon land meat, tend to have a rather rosy tinted vision of the ocean and its marine life due to the distance they feel between them and it. The resulting side effect being all the visions of greatness, majesty, grandeur, mysticism and sheer admiration for "another world" that exists in the vastness of the ocean. Japan, on the other hand, never really had such background because of its deep rooted seafood culture. It's as a backyard as your shed standing behind your house, conceptually speaking.

Who's right or wrong isn't what I'm talking about here - I generally tend to be on the anti side as well, though I'm a lot deeper than that in contemplating this issue - I'm simply trying to provide a level headed perspective of the background to all this. I know it's offtopic, but sometimes I think there is no platform for an even-handed debate on this matter in non-Japanese speaking communities, and mostly it's a passing subject of interest where people take cheap shots at Japan without really understanding the crux of the cultural conflict. So I felt the need to provide another side to this in an attempt to widen the field of vision.

Anyway. Yeah go on with the club naming topic :) See this post as a footnote of a book, rather than a comment to which you reply.

14. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004

thank god i've never been to fukuoka 'cause i'd be running around as if mothra was fighting godzilla if i ever saw those things in the air.