Japan @ Asian Cup 2019

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Dax, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They did , but they lost and they counted cards right. I dont think they went into the Poland game with the thoughts on losing the game. So I really don't like this strategy. It looks bad, it is bad , and you barely win. This wont last for long.

Samurai Warrior and YakYak repped this.
  2. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I wonder how Honda and co. would've reacted if they are still playing. They had a "role" in Halilodzic's dismissal before the WC due to his overly conservative tactics.

seolseol repped this.
  3. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One could say Moriyasu is in no hurry to call up the more ideological veterans for that reason.

4. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Irmatov is not that good any more. I rate Faghani higher than him atm.

5. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Good point. They have frustrated me many times over with how they close out matches. I think part of it is a lack of killer instinct.

6. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Do you guys think Japan will still play conservatively against Vietnam?
    I do acknowledge everything is possible in football but still, it's fu**ing Vietnam!

seolseol repped this.
  7. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't underestimate them. Iraq was almost defeated by Vietnam. Iran was just physically dominant and defensively strong for them to handle. Vietnam plays a similar style to Japan and new Japanese players are not that much physically dominant. Jordan took the fall too.

8. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    https://web.gekisaka.jp/news/amp/?264796-264796-fl

Moriyasu might rest Minamino and Doan tomorrow as he fear that any of them might recieve a second yellow card and becomes suspended for the semifinal.

Supposedly the attacking line will look like this:

J. Ito - Kitagawa - Haraguchi
    Osako

Hiroki Sakai, Gonda, and Shiotani might also miss the semi-final if any of them gets a yellow card against Vietnam.

seolseol repped this.
  9. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting. I would love to see Ito start obviously. Rather see Inui than Kitagawa or Haraguchi though. Even if he is not himself.

10. YakYak

YakYak Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Do they only reset the yellow card count for the final?

11. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    if he does start this is the moment for kitagawa to stand up and be counted. ito can’t do everything by himself.

seolseol repped this.
  12. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    good luck against 'little korea':thumbsup:

13. mushu21_2

mushu21_2 Member

Manchester United
    Vietnam
    Sep 1, 2018
    Vietnamese media reported that Sakai has fitness trouble and Muroya might play.

There may be some lost in translation but Shiotani is basically roasted in Vietnamese media, since he is reported to say: "I will crush this Vietnam team"

seolseol repped this.
  14. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He should sit out anyway because we don't need him getting another yellow and missing the semi-final.

15. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If they're talking about his Japanese interview it is definitely lost in translation:

第3戦目のウズベキスタン戦ではスタメンフル出場、決勝トーナメント一回戦では後半終了間際に出場したDF塩谷司はベトナム戦に向けて「自分にできることをシンプルにやって、周りにうまい選手が沢山いるので任せるところは任せて球際のところだったり、相手を潰すところだったりで自分のよさを出していけたらっていうイメージですね」と自分の持ち味である球際の強さを発揮すると意欲を見せた。
    https://www.footballchannel.jp/2019/01/22/post306190/

相手を潰す -> direct translation would be "crush the opponent", but in this context it just means to break up their plays / stop them from playing their game.

Basically he says he hopes to show his strengths including stopping the opponent from playing their game.

Samurai Warrior and mushu21_2 repped this.
  16. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The defense was solid in the rest of the World Cup too. They conceded only 2 goals (1 goal if we don't count that bs penalty in the Denmark game) in 4 games. I remember Xavi was prasing Japan's defense on ESPN. They can park the bus but it isn't their culture.

Tbh, I don't want to criticize Moriyasu for resorting to defensive football when he can't use tactically the 2 most important attackers (Osako and Nakajima). It isn't a bad idea to rely on defense. There is a big gap in club status between Japanese defenders and other Asian defenders. Even a Ligue 1 starter (Shoji) isn't guaranteed to start for Japan anymore.

teioh and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  17. mushu21_2

mushu21_2 Member

Manchester United
    Vietnam
    Sep 1, 2018
    yeah, that what I reckon it is too

After Japan-Saudi match, all of the sudden the common opinions in Vietnam now become optimistic. There're even some predicts that Vietnam may go pass Japan this time.

The story is completely different just 1 year ago. We had confidence facing West Asia team, but every time we faced Korea or Japan, everyone felt hopeless.

18. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.......:ROFLMAO:

[​IMG]

At least Tomiyasu deserves to be there.

19. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's not what I meant. I mean from a narrow winning position and grinding out the result.

Nobody disputes the defence was fantastic that World Cup as I pointed out it was their tactical set up. But the other games like the Denmark game Japan was never in threat of losing, the Paraguay game was 0-0 and the Dutch again unfortunately didn't get into a winning position.

Cameroon Japan got into a narrow winning position and despite fairly significant pressure closed them down and ground out a win.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  20. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    imho the asian cup is not the place to experiment. if the jfa wants the defence and game management to improve why don’t they have the balls to organise some friendlies overseas instead of the kirin cup.

Kakeru repped this.
  21. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This picture implies that all of these players with their respective team won't win this competition:cool:.

gamban98 repped this.
  22. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Starting line-up against Vietnam:

Gonda.
    H. Sakai - Tomiyasu - Yoshida - Nagatomo.
    W. Endo - Shibasaki.
    Doan - Minamino - Haraguchi.
    Kitagawa.

23. yudum

yudum Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    No changes except for Kitagawa? Extremely stupid decision. He is too cowardly. We are doomed.

24. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The attendance in this tournament is embarrassing. Can't imagine how it is gonna be in WC 2022.

Whispered11, Samurai Warrior and Kakeru repped this.
  25. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    With that supertax on booze, you can forget big attendances. It WILL be a monumental embarrassment.

Whispered11 repped this.