January 2017 USWNT Camp

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by PacmanJr_00, Jan 5, 2017.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Ellis says she wanted a game at the end of this camp, but obviously a game wasn't scheduled for some reason. Possibly because of ongoing CBA negotiations? Or something else?

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Off year...there was no match budgeted for January. I am a bit surprised they didn't sneak one in in February tho.

5. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Carli Lloyd interview mentioned there was no game due to CBA negotiations.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I believe she was referring to a budgeted date in Feb.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 4.19.38 PM.png

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    107 agonizing, torturing, long, excruciating days in between matches.
    Do you realize how many minutes that is!!!!!
    Isn't this what that International Tribunal in The Hague was established for to prevent??????

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In her own words:

9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The great thing about having the NSCAA convention near the January camp is media nearby to interview players. Some of the information in the videos has already been posted, but the video interviews are still nice.

Sauerbrunn on the first camp, CBA negotiations, NWSL draft, etc.:

Dunn on Chelsea contract, diversity in camp:

11. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Her preferred starting 11 played against Boys team during a scrimmage here in LA.

Ellis played 3-4-3. Keep in mind Pugh and Klingenberg haven't been in camp since Olympics ended. They are two of Ellis favorites. Not sure where they fit in now with new system.

GK Alyssa Naeher
    D Casey Short
    D Allie Long
    D Becky Sauerbrunn
    M Tobin Heath
    M Sam Mewis replaced injured Andi Sullivan (ACL)
    M Morgan Brian
    M Crystal Dunn
    F Alex Morgan
    F Christen Press
    F Carli Lloyd

All out attack line up. They won 3-0. Not really sure how this line up will work in March with so many shoot first players. I guess were going find out. Becky looks very awkward as OB. Not convinced about Short being starter. Long can pass but who even knows how she will defend against best. How this front line passes together will be interesting. All want to shoot first. Brian and Mewis connected their passes and played typical safe passes. Dunn was good on outside, Press was better than Lloyd and Morgan. I was confused a lot with Heath, Dunn, Lloyd, Press, Morgan all over place. Tobin specifically plays every side/middle of field. She was good and loves connect with Christen.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    - Other than Short this is the chalk line-up
    - Klingenberg ... not sure she fits this system. Isn't a good enough defender to play in the back and isn't beating out Heath or Dunn on the flank.
    - Pugh ... may be headed for the CAM in this formation
    - Mewis ... I would have guessed that Sullivan injury would have moved Long back to the #6 and let Sauerbrunn try to be the passing CB
    - were there a lot of subs...how did some of the others do?

13. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    The rest of them played in the 2nd scrimmage against another boys team. I didn't stay for that one. It was clear from what I watched that her starting players played in the first game. Based off following team. Very similar to starting line ups that played against Switzerland and Romania. Mewis played holding midfielder role, Allie is her starting center back until it fails. It can fail at She Believes.

babranski and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    question: how do you get in to watch the scrimmages? can public go? i wanna.