January 2017 USWNT Camp

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by PacmanJr_00, Jan 5, 2017.

1. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Well, I bet she feels that the season wasn't what she wanted it to be. I saw about 4 games and not as much magic out there on display as I had hoped to see

Here's a link to the stats

http://www.uwbadgers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=wsoc&year=2016&

Yes tied (powers) for the lead in points at 16 (6g 4a) but frankly those aren't amazing stats by any stretch of the imagination. Michigan, Penn State and Rutgers had 3 players all of whom played significantly less minutes with higher point totals and I don't think any played nearly as many minutes as Lavelle.

Especially considering:
    She played 2055 minutes compared to 1559 from the equally productive Powers
    in fact quick computations I have her at no more than a fairly distant 4th in points per minute played. I might concede some of that would be due to others around her and not possibly being on the ball as much as she'd liked to have been, but the shots statistics would not support that hypothesis.
    She took 74 shots/31SOG and was far and away (next highest a distant 43) shooting more than her teammates with much less efficiency. I personally think that is the most disappointing stat that tells the tale best.

Yup I think her reputation carried her through this year not her play on the field. Just my opinion on that, but I was a big supporter after the u20s and now not so much. Hoping she will regain her form in the pros and with the wnt becausewe need more creative influences above Heath.

2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious to see what Lavelle brings to the table this WNT camp and to the NWSL this season, when she's surrounded by pros. I've not lost faith in her abilities since the 2014 U-20 WWC.

3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

[​IMG]

Zero Nothing Blank Zilch Bupkis Nada Zip Diddly-Squat Void

4. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what's up with Leroux?

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Ellis, she's not cleared for competition yet, which I assume means she's not fit yet and still recovering from giving birth. I'd expect that Leroux might get a call back into camp following the SheBelieves Cup, possibly in April if there's a camp and game in that FIFA window. But Ellis might decide to wait to evaluate her until after seeing if Leroux can come back and make an impact in the NWSL for FCKC.

6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    the whole point of my post is, with all soccer players, you can't simply look at the stats. Especially for a midfielder who is often playing very deep. it's fairly silly.

7. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stats are cool, but even in stat heavy sports they never tell the whole story.

8. ziggy1010

ziggy1010 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Never tell the whole story? I'm currently reading The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis. In men's basketball, it was tested whether an ability to score points in college basketball predicted NBA success. No, was the answer. It was determined that traditional counting stats like points, rebounds, and assists per game could be wildly misleading. It was possible for a player to score a lot of points and hurt his team, just as it was possible for player to score very little and be a huge asset. The NBA has gotten a lot more sophisticated since 2006 on player evaluation. That's what happens when millions of $ are at stake. I can't imagine how messed up player evaluation has been for WoSo. It's even been historically messed up in the NFL, MLB, and NBA -- where they have massive $ at stake to get it right more often than not. In WoSo, no such incentives exist.

9. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    If quoting Stats were "silly" they wouldn't be kept and used as extensively as they are. I watched 4 games this year with specific attention to Lavelle. Do you know that UVA coaches keep every stat on every player including not only pass completions but even how many break lines and a myriad of other nuanced categories? Yes these are taken in context, but much is made of them singularly. Taken in the whole Lavelle did not have a good season at Wisconsin. That is my opinion and I backed it up with statistical evidence. You simple say she is a great player. Ok I might even agree with you there, but my point that she did not have a good season at Wisconsin holds and which was, indeed, my supported point. FYI calling me "silly" makes you appear arrogant and condescending rather than simply superior.

Clearly Lavelle took very many low quality shots this year. Yes she was placed further back on the field, but that was to get her on the ball more with less reliance on her teammates to play her. What she then did with it was sometimes great, but more often pedantic. The stats and my own eyes tell me she took too many low percentage shots and didn't play enough creative final balls. My kid's coach is always telling her that if she is a really great player she will find a way by herself to get the team a result. Maybe Lavelle had too much pressure on her this year to carry the team and consequently fell prey to a try too hard mentality, but I continue to believe that she had a lack luster last collegiate season.

That said, in the right mix of players, I think she could be fantastic. I say kudos to the USSF for looking past her poor college season and testing the potential in her to play at the highest level. Look at Christian Pulisic, less than stellar with the U17 YNT, yet fantastic when placed with higher level players. I continue to worry about Lavelle's physicality. I do not see her winning many balls as a dmid if that's the plan. I would like to see the more physical Brian as the 8 and Lavelle at the 10. Horan should be working hard on her ball winning ability. She is already a solid soccer IQ distributer. As a slower player, the 6 can potentially be a decent fit for her. ( I am assuming a 433 formation which obviously isn't a given) I do not see our FIFA POY as a solution in the midfield. If they want to parade her around let her play up top where she can cherry pick. Hopefully she will be phased out ala Abby Wambach. I think Press would be a better choice at fitting in with the sophisticated game that could come out of that midfield.

I have the same concern regarding Ashley Sanchez at the full NT. She is only 17 or 18 and may fill out some in the coming years, but though short like Dunn, she isn't built like her. Maybe as a flank player she could stay out of the mixer, but in the center of the pitch, I see her getting destroyed. I always thought that Dunn would be a world class outside back. I still think that. She was fantastic in the 2012 I think u20 WC at outside back. Pugh is fast and technically solid. The level of sophistication is questionable, but at least she doesn't choose to slam a shot into the goalie or into the side netting at the far touchline, and instead astutely plays a ball back to the on coming runners. Beyond that she's a straight ahead single minded winger which is not necessarily a bad thing.

So again my position for what it's worth, apparently not much, is that Lavelle did not have a successful last season at Wisconsin, but despite that, she will be given a chance at the next level, during which I hope her sophisticated game is supported.

10. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    yeah, I"m baffled by what you think the role of a two way midfielder is. Rose isn't an advanced mid at UW. The fact she led her team in points in this role is very impressive. Rose essentially plays Morgan Brian role for UW, do you think Morgan Brian should be the leading scorer on the WNT? Morgan Brian didn't score at the 15 WC yet was one of the most important players on the field in the knock out rounds. Yes, i think citing goals for this position is silly, especially when this midfielder leads her team in points.

Regardless, Rose is going to be the number 1 pick in the professional draft today.

babranski repped this.
  11. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Whatever her "role" was as dictated by Wilkins it clearly included trying to score and create goals. Explain to me why she took 74 shots almost twice the next highest player, if her role wasn't to score goals? Morgan Brian's role on the WNT is very different that Lavelle's was with Wisconsin. She is supposed to be playing the ball through the midfield to play the attacking players runs. Then also she is to provide direct offense as a late runner in the box and is expected to take a shot from 20-25 years out if the opportunity presents either through her own creating it or because she has come forward to add numbers in the attacking third. Yes that's an over simplification, but i hope it makes the point. Even if she started more deeply in the midfield than a typical 10, Lavelle was still expected to dribble or combine through midfield and create opportunities and indeed score in the attacking third. Not all "box to box" midfielders have the same role with a team; I just described 2.

The shots and shot percentage is indeed a statistic about which I am concerned. Frankly I am baffled that you seem to think that her shot percentage is acceptable even for a "box to box midfielder". He role was definitely more attacking that a typical 8 or she wouldn't have been in a position to take 74 shots. No one being at all objective would be happy with that shot percentage. Do you think she made good decisions shooting the ball that much with so little production? Were there no attacking runs made by the forwards onto which Lavelle could play the ball so she had no choice but take so many low percentage shots? Nope she did not have a good season and her past brought home her the accolades this year.

That said, as I stated above, I believe she will enjoy greater success without having to carry the team on her shoulders and with better players with whom to work.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

lil_one, MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    At least she got Savannah somebody to show up to camp. Also, Pinto is still 16 I believe.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  16. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Wow hard to believe that Ellis would bring up a 16 year old #8 who was a big part of the problem midfield in Jordan. Not sure how that makes sense.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #44 holden, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Wait... You got your job back after the previous coach was fired for 2 losses too?

(If you don't get it, Klinsmann said he was fired because the USMNT had 2 losses in the 2018 World Cup Qualifiers)

Alternatively: I got my job back after 1 year, it took you how long?

jnielsen repped this.
  20. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Would love to see full results... last year it was HAO 68, Heath 63, KO 62

22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    that's a slow jog.

23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    she: "-- and even when they had the ball and some open space, they never came forward --"
    he: "Well, we're going to stop doing that"
    she: "-- wasn't even talking about you --"
    he: <smirk>

lil_one and RockyTopFan repped this.
  24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally think Pinto was the lone bright spot in a midfield that otherwise gave the ball away or forced it up feild too quickly. She was looking to connect with others like nobody else was.

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTC video mostly of the fitness testing: