Jamie Watson

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by soccerbum23, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Thanks.

But GA has to be funding the program. After all, their name is all over it. They sponsor it, right?

2. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Generation Adidas is sponsored by Adidas and Adidas pays a sponsorship fee.

From what I have been told the league negotiates contracts and pays the salaries.

I believe that Adidas have as much say in running the actual program as KFC has a say in who sits in the Colonels Corner. OK maybe a little more but I think the world may never know!

3. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Interesting. So it would appear with this "new" information, that JK may indeed have had a reason to force the graduation of Jaime as a GA player, after all. He couldn't waive him until he had graduated.

Back to square one?

4. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yes Back to square one... The original argument...

Why would Jason do that? On GA Jamie had clear and tangible value by not being a hit on the salary cap AND as a trade if Jason no longer wanted him on the team.

To me it makes no logical sense why Jason would lobby the league so that Jamie would lose value.

I find it hard to swallow that Jason would do it just because he did not like Jamie. That is just too jr. high school.

5. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Plus, both Jason Kreis & Garth Lagerwey have gone on record denying this. This is the one point of my Watson report they have ever specifically denied. I'm inclined to take their word for it becuase unlike my several other (highly credible) sources--Jason & Garth were willing to afix their names to it.

In the days after the season ended in Oct, Kreis probably jumped the gun when he told Jamie he had been "waived". Mark this up to inexperience. Faced with GA/MLS contract implications, I suspect Kreis attempted to get Jamie's widely-expected/anticipated "GA graduation" expedited (moved up) so Jamie's premature waiver could take effect. That's fine.

But what's troublesome--and a completely different part of this saga--is why RSL yanked his waiver back off the table in an apparent attempt to squeeze a supp draft pick out of Dallas. Was that good business for RSL? Probably--in the short term. Was it good for Jamie's career? No. Was it good for Garth/Jason/RSL's reputations around the league. No way.

Case closed. Turn the page. Thanks for your service & good luck now, Jamie.

6. sanlorenzita

sanlorenzita New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    in my head
    if we are going back to square one.. then honestly, i find it silly that JK would take the time to force a graduation from GA... it makes no sense.

7. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Is this just a theory on your part? I'd be surprised if they'd go to all this trouble for a supplemental draft pick so that they could get a player who might be lucky to end up in the USL. Could they have been doing exactly what they said, and kept Jamie a roster spot while letting him look around for another better opportunity until the point at which it became painfully obvious that Jamie would not be back this season? I have no information on this other than the words of the FO, but if there is evidence to the contrary can you fill us in?