Jamaica travel tips

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nicodemus, Dec 17, 2002.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reviving this thread since the previous one was lost.

2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the notice.

now, hopefully i can secure tickets for the two games. I've heard it's hard to get tickets from USSF. I don't know from experience, just what I've heard.

4. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They set me up nicely for the Trinidad game, but I came to them through Antonio at Soccer Vacations (who I had gone to Jamaica and Costa Rica with directly and to Mexico with indirectly through the Screaming Eagles).

I'm very seriously thinking of going to the Jamaica match (I've got the miles and there is still availability for miles tickets, as of a couple of days ago).

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool, glad to hear a different account. I suppose I will call them tomorrow. Are you thinking about going on your own or through soccer vacations?

6. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Soccer Vacations will be doing this mid-week friendly, since we had less than 20 in the group for the qualifier. I expect I'll be doing it myself. Since there basically seemed to be two classes of tickets (covered general admission = expensive; uncovered general admission = cheap & very hot), I more or less know what I'm looking for (it's GA in both areas, so you have to get there early to get a good seat, so the covered section seemed worth the investment). If the USSF doesn't have any (and since this is a friendly, not a WCQ, I'm not sure they have to get an allocation), I'll probably just call the JFF directly and/or ask about how to arrange for a ticket when I book my hotel.

I don't think the WCQ sold out (although it seemed very close), so I'm guessing tickets will be available on the day, as well, but if I go, I'll try to arrange for mine in advance.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the tip. I thought there was a FIFA rule that there had to be an allocation to away fans, but perhaps not. Since I'm a total novice at this, I would really appreciate any other help you could give.

8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there is a rule about allocations for official competitions. I don't believe I've heard it mentioned in the press regarding friendlies, but that doesn't mean it's not so. Either way, getting a ticket shouldn't be too big of a hassle.

One thing that might make this a bigger draw than normal is that the National Stadium has been closed down for awhile for refurbishing, so it's been a long time since the national team played at home.

After I get my flight booked, then I'll start snooping around about tickets and I'll post anything I find out here.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to get my flights booked too. I'm going to take in the Argentina game as well, what about you?

10. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Tha Jamaican FA raised ticket prices for the WCQ. That is why it did not sell out.
    We got to the stadium early and a couple of us blocked out a section of the stands in the shade so that later-arriving Americans could be togetehr. We wrapped part of the small area with American flags to discourage Jamaican interlopers.
    Jamaicans seemed to be having a huge party in the parking lot before the game, with food being cooked

11. CSC-CrewFan

CSC-CrewFan New Member

Oct 29, 1999
    I travel to Kingston often for business and might make this trip.

Does the team stay at the Hilton? Anyone know?

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this info was in the crashed out thread. I can't remember. I don't think that's it though, unless it has another name, like the "White Sands Hilton" or something.

13. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    In 2001, the team and the Soccer Vacations folks were booked into the Hotel Pegasus, which is part of the Meridian chain. I don't know about this time around.

14. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The England-based Jamaican players stayed there too (and since the US players left on a charter right after the game, we ended up having drinks in the bar with the Jamaican players that evening).

15. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    We were with Atouk and Mike Lastort briefly in the bar with the English players. They were real gentlemen. Perhaps Mike can tell us the rum story again. Not everyone who is posting here has heard it and it bears repeating!

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump

any more folks going yet? my wife and i are sorting out the details now.

17. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    hello I'm thinking about going down, my friends are staying for the week at breezes so I'm gonna try and schedule around them. How many other people are going?

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've actually had to cancel the journey to jamaica as i got laid off from my job on tuesday. :(