Jacksonville Armada F.C.

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Armada FC' started by Mad Hattah, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official! The new NASL team will be known as the Jacksonville Armada F.C. Below is the logo that was leaked on Reddit this morning and then confirmed during the press conference. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. MD-Law-

MD-Law- Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Winona, MN
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's an okay badge, I'd prefer it if it had a traditional shield shape and/or for it now to have the thick gold border but it's not awful.

3. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And they post a new URL (http://www.armadafc.com) for the Armada that takes you to a GoDaddy.com placeholder. Very bush league. If you are going to make an unveil and post a website for signing up for season tickets, make sure the damn website is up.

4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, at least you HAVE a name...I'm still waiting for the "big" announcement from OKC. I've been told it's "coming" for weeks now. I;m starting to wonder if it's even breathing hard...

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the name and colors. Armada is a perfect fit for the city. Normally, I am a traditionalist when it comes to the shapes of badges. However, this one works because it follows the angles and lines of the anchor and looks appropriate and not forced --- if that makes sense. It flows well. I can envision a "blocked" home jersey with both shades of blue that is tipped at the collar or sleeve in gold accompanied by white shorts and "lighter" blue socks. Maybe a white away top outlined w/ gold seams and numbers and a gold version of the badge w/ "dark" blue shorts and socks. Loads of potential combos when you have good colors.

I am exicted for Jax. Congrats!

7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the name and badge. Congrats Jacksonville.

8. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think it is cool. I like the name and the crest is ok too. I'm sure that Euro snobs hate all of it.

9. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God forbid the team doesn't have the website ready the second the team is announced. It was up within the hour.

Have you ever worked with GoDaddy before? They can be quite a bitch.

BulaJacket repped this.
  10. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, god forbid. Professional organizations, wether it be sports or anything else, have their shit together. They make a major announcement and cite a URL that is not active only points a negative light on their organizational abilities.

NASL teams are not blessed with major media outlets. They have almost zero presence on TV, practically nothing in traditional media, and very little knowledge of NASL in the general American sports scene. All they have, practically, is their own website and the NASL website to showcase their own media. So yes, an hour delay of their website, after their one major media showcase, is a huge deal. I'll tell you right now that Mark Frisch (the owner and CEO) is not sitting there going "aw shucks." He should be stomping mad and looking for someone's head to roll.

This website is not just a place to find score results and get a wallpaper for your laptop, it is their main selling tool and portal into the club. This website is where they are going to get interest generated to sell season tickets and where a customer can buy these season tickets. It is the portal to purchase merchandise from the team. An hour delay is major lost opportunity. An opportunity they might not be able to generate again given NASL's (current) near non-existent media presence.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes come on is not like they are starting a health care exchange website :p

Macsen, thomas19064 and sportzfrk99 repped this.
  12. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    I hope this Armada doesn't sink as fast as its launched. Most people here are not impressed. In fact, there were about 50 people in attendance for their celebration. Take away the club officials, employees, the media and a few lookie-louees, and about 10 people are onboard.

Someone commented "Armada ? Are they named after a car ?" This (NASL) is the minor league that delayed the launch of Vrginia, Ottawa and the Cosmos while bailing out Atlanta so they could play in the Soccer Bowl.

Weren't they (NASL) the clubs that left USL to market themselves ? So far Minnesota has had 3 name changes, Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa suing to use their logo and Puerto Rico abandoning the league. The 1st Commissioner resugned after one season.

Well, let's hope the New York Cosmos can carry the league. (Not like they ever did THAT before).

Jacksonville have had 3 clubs in different divisions over the past few years - the last military nickname lost the war (Jax Destroyers), while Jacksonville United (NPSL) and FC Jax (PDL) are nearly non-existant.

I think most of the fans here are in a wait and see mode. (No ones rushing for season tickets). There are some quality and knowledgable fans in North Florida. They deserve better.

14. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smh. I'll give you a chance to clean up your fact errors here. You can start by looking up how long David Downs was commissioner. But that's not the only one I see.

2nd off. It was at 10 am on a Tuesday and I would highly bet more people show up tomorrow night for the party.

All of those other teams have nothing to do with Jacksonville.

I'd say a few hundred deposits in 6 months is pretty good for NASL standards, considering some teams may have 1000 season ticket holders at best.

15. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I hate when people mix politics w/sports. Sports is where I go to escape political yap, yap

16. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    They lost a good opportunity to have a traditional name. Jacksonville FC or Jacksonville City would have been nice. No soccer team in Europe or Latin America are called Armada. I am so sick and tired of mickey mouse names like Armada, Vice or Rowdies that have no history or tradition. Orlando City has it right. Clean and traditional.

17. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rowdies have been around since the 70s while Orlando City has only been around since 2010. Eurosnob anyone?

CAllen91, BulaJacket and evilmonkeycmand repped this.
  18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Your user name is MUTINYFAN and this is the best you can come up with?

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I called it. Euro snobs hate this name. Go me! Go me!

20. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 Darkwing McQuack, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Aw, poor thing. At least they sat down and came up with something creative instead of going with boring insert here euro name. This is a traditional sports name over here. If you want a traditional Euro or South American team name then move to one of those continents. Also you might want to come up with a better insult then Mickey Mouse, lol. Mickey Mouse = success, money and brand recognition. :p

On last thing. How is Armada any different then say Arsenal? Lol.

BulaJacket repped this.
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been ********ing boring and copycat. And boring. But appealing to small thinkers like yourself.

Oh, well THERE YOU HAVE IT.

This isn't Europe.

This isn't Latin America.

You know what Garth Lagerway said? "Cool. Emigrate."

If you think "Rowdies" has no history or tradition you're an even bigger moron than I think you are.

And I happen to think you're a complete and total idiot.

This is just another in the long list of ********ing crosses you're going to have to bear.

That's unfortunate for you.

Idiot.

22. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the presence of the US Navy in Jacksonville, this is the best possible name that fits both the American convention and is vaguely traditional in that it alludes to area the team is representing. All around well done, clean, concise, and original.

FlipsLikeAPancake and BulaJacket repped this.
  23. Otis Campbell

Otis Campbell Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    There are times I love kenntomasch...these are one of those times!

xbhaskarx, sportzfrk99 and Mad Hattah repped this.
  24. ArmadaFC904

ArmadaFC904 New Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Jacksonville Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why some of you are calling "Armada" one of those cheesy American soccer team names. I see it as being in the same style as Arsenal. You never hear anyone claim Arsenal is a stupid name or cheesy. It's not like the Earthquakes, Wizards, or the Galaxy. On another note... The reason few people showed up to the team launch was because it was at 10 am on a Tuesday, I believe. People have to work.

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certain Eurodouches on this forum are lucky I'm not a mod or President, because suggesting ANY new team be called "City" or "FC" would result in a permanent banning or rendition to a blacksite, depending on my powers. We now have two FCs, FC Dallas and Toronto FC, and two Cities, New York City FC, and Orlando City SC... the last thing we need is more of either. Armada is a unique name, and it actually sounds cool. I would have preferred something like "Jacksonville Generals" with the "Jacksonville NASL 2015" placeholder crest replacing "NASL 2015" with Generals, but Armada is a damn fine name and the crest is pretty cool and different.