PBP: J5 - La Liga 18/19 | FC Barcelona v Girona | 23 September 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Sep 22, 2018.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just checking in. WTF happened ???

2. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Idiotic elbow by Lenglet. Idiotic play by Pique in defence and idiotic changes by EV, changing way too much. Good comeback though! Piques goal shows a frickin plan B might save the day, crosses, mayhem in box and headers scored! Still Barca have to pass the ball into goal.

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    VAR is dead, if this goes through without review.

4. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I love Messi, but really bad sportsmanship from Messi at the end --- not shaking the referee's hand.

I hate stuff like this.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Saw the replay ... definitely questionable elbow.

6. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ******** the referee, after the 75th minute, he gave pretty much no Fouls at all. Out of Barca’s last 7 red cards, he handed 4 of them.

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hate corruption more, if this is against corruption I love it.

Rattlehead repped this.
  8. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I hate unfair and plain bad officiating even more. Seems Messi does too. Don’t read too much into it.

9. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Manzano was also the referee who didn't give Marcelo a red card in the Clasico where Marcelo "unintentionally" elbowed Messi and Messi had blood from his mouth.

But still --- you should shake the ref's hand. Just an opinion.

This game was not reff'ed correctly, agreed, though.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Meh, it was kind of a red. On the soft side but an elbow is an elbow..

VAR is frustrating though when it comes to the subjective calls. I mean, is not showing a red such a big injustice? So is VAR really needed on subjective things that the ref is well-positioned to see in live time?

Also frustrating because Busquets was fouled at the edge of the box in the waning minutes but not reversable since it was not inside the box. Yet would’ve been a great chance for Messi from the FK!

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Valverde

12. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    that was disappointing. congrats to Girona for a well earned point. but that red changed everything at a point where we were in complete control, and i'm not convinced Lenglet did much wrong there. the ref was too trigger happy with those cards. it was always going to be a struggle after that (if it wasn't already). unlucky.

13. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #63 Viscaelbarca, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    There was a foul on Langlet first then the elbow happened as the player ran into him. The player in question apparently apologised to Langlet after the red card.

Yes, I am happy that Arthur started but why change the whole MF setup? It was evident that we had no control over midfield. Play with either Arthur or Arturo but don't start them both at the same time and risk having no cohesion in MF... In hindsight.

puyol repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I thought Vidal was quite good though. Also created the first goal.
    Getting Lenglet playing time before the match in Wembley makes sense.

I don’t have a problem with the starting XI. Busy schedule coming up and its a fixture Barca won 6-1 last season. Makes more sense making several changes today than an away match in Valencia or even in Leganes.

unclesox and evil_allan repped this.
  15. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    plus coutinho and rakitic had busy summers and needed the rest as much as arthur/arturo needed the minutes.

BocaFan, unclesox and condor11 repped this.
  16. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I agree! It will just lead to more bad decisions against Barca and especially Messi when idiot Manzano is refereeing. As captain he should know better.

17. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    still messi is the team's captain. he should have shaked referee hand even that man is full of shit

18. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "I did apologise to [Lenglet]," Pons said. "I didn't notice the contact from the elbow and I offered my hand to him because I thought it was a foul by me at first.

"I don't know if it was an act of aggression. We both went in 100 percent, we both caught each other. In the end, it was VAR that made the decision. I don't know it's a red card or not."

http://www.espn.com.au/football/bar...exed-by-clement-lenglets-red-card-with-girona

Bada Bing repped this.
  19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Absolutely not, there has to be line drawn somewhere.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah but he gave Segio Ramos a red in That game. And didn’t give what could have been a PK for Madrid at the beginning of the game.

The Marcelo elbow was hard to see and there was no VAR. And like this one, tough to judge intention ... even more so. With no VAR he probably wouldn’t have given the red.

About hand shakes , don’t really care personally. Happens all the time . But perhaps he should just walk off without addressing the ref.