PBP: J27 - La Liga 18/19 | RAYO v FC Barcelona | 9 March 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Mar 4, 2019.

1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Really ??

Looked like he clearly took his standing leg ..

2. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Exactly, specially the knee.

3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rakitic to Suarez. 3-1.

condor11 repped this.
  4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nice goal Suarez.

5. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    and Raki contribute in 1 minute more than countinho did in 80

BocaFan, ShortyMac and Ozora repped this.
  6. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Goooool! Suarezito!

7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    finally suarez shot and goal

8. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    so sad but thats the truth

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And insurance goal immediately

condor11, ShortyMac and BocaFan repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi losing a lot of balls today.

ShortyMac repped this.
  11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Nothing special though .. he nearly messed up with Pique a few minutes later

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Messi is main culprit in the losing the ball stats .. but you have to take a few negatives with all the positives

ShortyMac repped this.
  13. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 3-1.

Still a 7 point lead. Job done.

unclesox repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    How bout that first touch and pass by Luisito though? Suarez is officially back!

15. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Messi is overdribbling... at a few points he got into the box and created separation. You have to shoot that!

ShortyMac repped this.
  16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not saying he should be dropped. Just making a comment.

TitoTata repped this.
  17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Oh yeah .. I realise ..

18. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I want to see Messi play like he did against Sevilla. Going for the killer blow!

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 minute highlights in English (Phil and Ray):

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Coutinho I think it's not comfortable playing the wing in this system. He has mostly dropped dribbling from his game and when he is passing the ball, if you look around, there aren't many options to be honest. Nobody other than Suarez really moves for him. Rarely Roberto or Semedo are pushing on the right side to give him that over the top pass option as Alba does on the left. His cut inside move to curl the shot in with his right foot is pretty useless if other defenses are packing it in. You can see that even Messi has struggled to get his signature shot off lately. It seems like any other tools he has in his bag have disappeared.

The shot he missed today wasn't bad because if you've played football, you know if the ball comes quick like that and you're ready or not in the right step it's tough to get power behind the shot. But he is playing bad and not bringing anything to the offense right now.

Right now, I'd play him more as a backup to Arthur. I'd even put Malcom in his place on the wing if Dembele is not available.

21. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree about that shot today, it was a bit behind him and very hard for him to take it, get his strides right, and hit it with power. I do feel like there are 3 forwards ahead of him, and could be 4 if we gave Malcom more time to prove himself. In the midfield though I really need to look more at the full game video of those 20-25 minutes when he did replace Arthur. I worry that he doesn't add enough defense (whether his effort, his tacking, his tracking back, his control of the ball and related contribution to our keeping possession when we have it and winning it back quickly when we don't). But my knee jerk reaction is that I'd rather have Vidal or Alena in when Arthur is off.

So then does he not have a role? Or is his role as Messi's understudy? Coutinho's best moments this season were surely when Messi was out injured and we gave him the keys to the car. I think he was man of the match a few times when we had no Messi, but maybe the biggest issue is fitting both of them in the side given similar styles and the weaknesses?

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep, Coutinho is a defensive liability. It'd depend on the opposition. That's why I think he should be bench. I agree that Alena and Vidal at this point are better in that position too. So I don't know about Coutinho really.

Dembele is doubtful for Lyon game now. So I think might see what VV decides to do already in the midweek. Problem is he doesn't want to play Malcom.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Geez, Coutinho + Dembele = €275mn for maybe 25 goals per season combined at best, for players who only contribute offensively. And I am not overly hopeful that goal count will increase in the coming years.

What a disaster!

ShortyMac repped this.
  24. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, did not know about Dembele, but you are right: https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/news/1092544/dembl-with-slight-hamstring-strain & https://bleacherreport.com/articles...dembeles-hamstring-injury-diagnosed-as-sprain

Really like to see Dembele able to go, but he'll probably miss out (and Marcelo too for Lyon, by the same token). Without him, Coutinho the likely starter; Malcom the more direct replacement. Or I could see a 4-4-2 with both Semedo and Roberto getting the start (Semedo as RB), Raki tucking closer to Busi, Arthur completing the 4 man midfield, behind Messi and Suarez.

25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well when all the focus is on what we paid it makes it hard for either to make some fans happy, but it wasn't my money (and the money was spent when we were pretty desperately trying to replace Neymar after his late and pretty sudden departure left us with a huge amount of money). Both contribute to one of the best teams in the world. Dembele may grow into a better player than Neymar (and is already living up to his high price), as Bartomeu just stated like it was already a fact. As for Coutinho, he played well last season and we were bummed he was cup tied in CL, he also played well early this season, especially when Messi was injured.

Pique said this today, With respect to the whistles received by Coutinho from some fans when he was taken off, Pique added: "He's having a good season and maybe the cost of the player has created a lot of expectation, but as his teammates, he has all our support and we need him in this phase of the season."