PBP: J14 - La Liga 18/19 | FC Barcelona v Villarreal| 2 December 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nice goal from Alena.

Promising player. :coffee:

2. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 2-0.

Glad for the win and the home clean sheet.

3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Shame Alena looks a little bit like Diego Costa.

4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Luckily they're two different people.

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Jees I was wondering who he reminded me of :)

6. skalomax

skalomax Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Anyone else notice Messi is losing his godly powers, he's playing like a mortal. Dembele is our future!

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If Raheem Sterling II is our future, we're f---ed! But fortunately, your prognosis is grosly premature. Messi just coming back from injury remember.... (and still has a goal and 2 assists this week).

ShortyMac repped this.
  8. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Messi isn't losing his powers. He had a damn good first half. When you take a couple of good shots on net and the opposing goalkeeper saves them, you say kudos and move on. His dribbling and motor didn't seem to get up to full throttle today but it's ok to conserve a bit of energy in early December.

To be honest, I would prefer to see Barca rely on Messi less. Sometimes when he's out of the match, the other players actually take things into their own hands more. If that happened with Messi we'd be a much better team IMO. At this point every opponent we play comes into the game trying to nullify him and we have to use other weapons like Dembele more consistently.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Seems to be he has lost a little sting off his shot.

Like I said, Dembelé had his best showing today in a Barca shirt specially in the first half. He still made some really careless passes back but overall, his influence on the offense was good and what the team was looking for when they looked at him as a Neymar replacement.

Unfortunately playing on the right creates a problem because that's still were Messi typically plays. But we do need something like Dembelé on the team as long as he keeps improving and sorts his life outside of the field. If he improves his passing he can be really good. Not sure how good he'd be on the left. That would mean dropping Coutinho back, but now we have Arthur and I like the defensive grit Arthur has over Coutinho. That'd push Coutinho to the bench.

I think VV has will have his hands full trying to figure out the best solution if Dembelé starts performing consistently on this run of games.

Semedo has been doing well. Stupidly ran into trouble once today coming out from defense and still a poor crosser of the ball. But overall good. Combined well with Dembele a few times today. Wondering how they do against better defenders though.

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You ,mean 33 year old Santi Cazorla?
    Pretty sure he wanted to return to where his professional career began for the twilight of his playing days.

11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Helmond Cup update:

FC Barcelona 2-0 Villarreal

Next:
    Wednesday 5 December
    Copa del Rey, 4ta Ronda, Vuelta
    FC Barcelona -v- Cultural Leonesa

Twice in one season! :laugh:

ShortyMac and Gilmango repped this.
  12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Fair enough

13. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Funny to see EV getting jeered and booed for Vidal sub! I guess camp nou agrees it was the wrong guy to be subbed.

14. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well, the team invested 100 mil in "Raheem Sterling II", so...

15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #65 Gilmango, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    I think the fans saw that Vidal had a good game, Coutinho did not, and Vidal offers more in terms of defense and protecting a lead, so they did not mind Alena coming on, but preferred that Coutinho (or maybe Raki) get subbed off. Of course Alena wound up being an inspired choice. Just wish Vidal had not made the exasperated face on getting pulled.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, wrong sub IMO. Not only because Vidal was arguably our best midfielder of the day (including Coutinho), but even if he wasn't, is it really worth the risk of creating another squabble in the dressing room?

17. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Vidal is doing many things right currently. A little bit more ability to put ego aside at times, and his quality/value jumps another level.

Gilmango repped this.
  18. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Exactly, all in all EV is not in touch with reality but with pushing his agenda to play players he likes personally in terms of perhaps personal chemistry rather than performance. He needs to get this shit right, Barca can't handle another Roma debacle.

19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think he might be an idiot.