Jürgen Klinsmann vs Bruce Arena ?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Clad, Sep 30, 2017.

?

Who would have be better for the 2018 World Cup in your opinion?

1. Jürgen Klinsmann

35.1%
  2. Bruce Arena

64.9%
  1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Ok....this is a valid topic of discussion but that really isn't what the thread started as and while these topics have entered in at times, it really has been a forum to bash one or the other.

If people really want to make this a forum with both coaches involved, maybe it could be something like "What are the mistakes that Arena and Klinsmann made that we can learn from?", but arguing about whether the Klinsmann was at fault or that Klinsmann would have turned it around because he wouldn't have made the same errors that Arena made is pointless. The other issues that you mention are independent of Arena and Klinsmann....each voiced his opinion but they aren't the only proponents of any one theory or opinion and frankly at least some of the views you mention are something that is shared by Arena lovers, Klinsmann lovers and everyone in between.

If people want to poop on Arena, that is fine he's the most recent failure and I think he is fair game. Klinsmann should be out of the picture in that sense. If people want to say his ideas for changing our system should be followed, that is a different conversation and is valid. You can agree or disagree with what he said and like or dislike him as a coach.

juveeer repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen v Arena doesn't really matter anymore.

My concern is Arena's arrogance and ignorance, supported by a number of his asinine comments seems to be a reflection of MLS/USSF and the powers that be which run this landscape. Arena's not in the picture anymore but his line of thinking still runs rampant throughout our landscape and that means, unless there's serious change, we'll have serious problems going forward.

It was Arena who said we have nothing to learn from Europe. Other countries/coaches are constantly learning from one another. Pep is always stealing little things from others. It's just a crazy statement but is part of the arrogance all around this country. He essentially booted most Euros from the squad, supported our best playing in MLS yet when we were in Azteca he said Mex is greatly improved because they're putting more players in top leagues. So that tells me he was more concerned with being a marketing arm of SUM/MLS than being halfway honest. And that issue also surrounds our league. Then after losing to T&T and not making the WC, he stood up there and said it's not the USSF's responsibility to develop players, while its been a publicly stated responsibility of the USSF and he said we don't need any change here, what we're doing is working.

That's the real concern. The arrogance, the ignorance, the lack of accountability, the protection of a model/system which is not producing players as we could and doing so in order to protect the profit of a few, and the constant marketing/hype which is often incredibly misplaced and meant to distract from problems.

As Reyna said, we're expanding, not progressing. The reason for that is the three headed monster of SUM/MLS/USSF care more about expanding for profit than progressing/developing the American player. And that little cabal will try to protect that at all costs. Arena is simply a good example of how they think.

juveeer and Master O repped this.
  3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it won't change, so there's a high probability that the USA will be missing out on Qatar as well.

4. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #104 RoyalYank, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Klinsmann has an 8th grade education, and a baker for a Dad. Most managers have some formal education or some native sense, Klinsmann misses the mark both ways

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    So is it... he only has an 8th grade education OR he made the team listen to a motivational speaker OR he only has an 8th grade education and made the team listen to a motivational speaker?

Oh wait, I missed the point that his dad is a baker. Does that somehow playninto it?

I don’t really see how any of these three points have anything to do with this discussion. I went to a pretty decent high school and don’t recall anything that would have made me a better soccer coach. It is pretty well documented that many American professional coaches have invited Donnie Moore to speak to their teams and many players claiming to have gotten something out of it. Finally, I don’t think there is anything inherent in being a baker that would imply a person couldn’t be a good soccer coach, and if there was, it seems very unlikely that would be passed down to their children.

These random facts seem incredibly irrelevant.

6. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #106 vaquero28, Nov 14, 2017
    Hey Royal Yank, A couple of things here. One: an eighth-grade education is equivalent to a 12th grade here. I immigrated to the US and left Austria after finishing the 6th grade. Here in the USofA I was put back in the 6th grade and was surprised they were learning simple math. when I had already learned Algebra, trig etc..Biology, beginning chemistry etc. Secondly, after graduating from the 8th grade, at least back in 19hunnert and froze to death, a human has the option of gymnasium or trade school depending on one's career path. It is the reason why education here in the US is generally producing high school students who rate lower than 8 grade educated foreigners.... Talk about arrogance.

juveeer and laxcoach repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now we know why he liked Dreads so much. *X-Files theme plays*

8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    The more BA runs his mouth, the better JK looks in his silence.

DankYank, TxEx, juveeer and 1 other person repped this.
  9. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    I need Bruces brain (without the nationalistic BS) with the "energy/charisma" of JK

Truth be told i was already souring on Arena based on his job as Galaxy coach.. his teams inability to win MLS road games and their "too cool" for school attitude was just annoying...

Yes I was a big advocate for Arena over JK (i still think hes better).. but hes been living off old accomplishments and allowed to many exterior factors affect his coaching/decisions

10. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The less I see of the Cheshire cat grin the better Klinsmann 'looks' in my mind too.
    Glad they're both gone, honestly.

juveeer repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Craig Burley just said "Arena made Jurgen Klinsmann look like Pep Guardiola"

Those comments certainly questions the fans and media who said that Bruce would bring tactical, man management, player selection, player instructions, and game management improvements to the USMNT. :rolleyes:

Also calls out Bruce for blaming the Euros, says Arena is "nothing but excuses"!

http://www.espnfc.us/video/espn-fc-...reno-arenas-lack-of-self-awareness-incredible

TxEx and juveeer repped this.
  12. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    #112 the5timechamp, Nov 14, 2017
    I hope not to see bruce for a long time

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. The ESPN crew ripped Arena.

juveeer repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox asked him to come back as an analyst if this tournament of losers happens this summer.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Why was he on tv? Did he really say that? How could the other guys just sit there? Why didn’t Ashton Kutcher walk on stage and make all of this obvious to everyone?

DankYank and juveeer repped this.
  16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    So did those guys actually talk about the present game at hand or just yuck it up John Oliver style? I don't agree with all of Arena's comments today, but man, ESPN's crew is most often pretty obnoxious. Generally I prefer the FS1 coverage. Too bad they're losing Friedel.

17. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Yep.

18. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    GOBs gon' GOB.

Folks it looks like it is not going to end.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don’t know... it was a meaningless friendly, so don’t really care.

FS1’s post coverage was a good advertisement for MLS. Arena...
    - raged about Acosta’s service,
    - thought it was positive and day and then thought about adding Pulisic (not mls but hard to leave out), Morris (yeah, he did a ton more for you than Wood), and Lletget (if only he hadn’t gotten injured or you hadn’t ignored Hyndman who is more talented and years younger).
    - Brooks could have been used in 2017 and Miazga likely be his pairing in the WC.
    - US soccer system isn’t better but we could do better
    - doesn’t agree that players talented players are falling through the cracks.
    - makes tons of excuses why we didn’t get results and changes he’d have made after the fact but there are no excuses.
    - our system need to find a way to get young players on the field

Gotta love that FS1 coverage. Lalas and Stone didn’t challenge him one bit. This post seems like the exact opposite of what we saw from may 2014 on. We played today, so what, let’s talk about why Klinsmann sucks.... in every thread. We now are in in isolated thread about the past coaches and you want to switch the topic to a game neither was involved in.

20. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Taped the game. I was, frankly, shocked when I found out Arena was going to be an analyst (I know I'm not alone). I couldn't help but marvel at (1) the stupidity of fox for asking Arena and (2) Arena for accepting. I mostly skipped anything with Arena but did catch a few bits. I was struck by how awkward everything was. Stone and Lalas not really knowing what to say and Arena with his typical smile. Like I said, I skipped through most all of it and based upon what people have said, I am glad.

Mr Martin, juveeer and bsky22 repped this.
  21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Threads have room for asides, hence I asked a simple question. You don't have to be a dick.

22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    My favorite part was when Rob Stone asked Arena about the team's strengths and the first words out of his mouth were about how they had veteran experience in the backline. Not that they have a potential superstar in midfield. Tells you all you need to know about him.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I guess I might have misinterpreted your post. You made it clear you didn’t like the analysis of the ESPN guys (they are obnoxious and yuck it up...), so didn’t think you’d really care about what their thoughts were on the game.

Maybe the 2.5 years ending in late 2016 confuses people how to find the conversation they want, but if you were interested in others thoughts on the game, I’d start with the post game thread in USMN&A. Of course two years ago, the usual suspects would be blaming everything on Klinsmann.

Back to Arena, I’m not sure how the whole studio thing today on your favored FS1 could have been more awkward. I guess it isn’t that surprising as his interviews after 2006 were quite disturbing. The guy had a great run in 2002 (quite lucky), but has been more of a detriment to the USMNT and US soccer since then.

juveeer repped this.
  24. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair when that question was asked I answered it the same way before Arena did. Veteran experience with Brooks and Yedlin is different than Zusi and Beasley.

25. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple Jealousy. Arena the ametuer, is already better at color commentary than any of ESPN's professionals. More interesting more knowledgeable more eloquent.