IU Hoosiers 2018

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by stphnsn, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that an IU education saying that? ;)

2. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i didn't wait that late to learn fractions, but when i did learn them, they taught us that 3/2 is three halves. they played 3 45 minute periods, one being a closed door scrimmage in the afternoon and then a full 90 in the evening.

fknbuflobo and ThePonchat repped this.
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    hoosiers lost 1-0 to louisville last night in westfield. it sounds like we outplayed them and controlled big parts of the game, but we couldn't find the back of the net. akron is next on friday in ft. wayne.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  4. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    I'm looking through IU's schedule for the year and I have to pay my respects to them for playing such a tough non-conference schedule. By the time the team gets into playoffs, they will have already seen the best the country has to offer.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  5. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
  6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yeah, we have the same old problem - lots of shots, but no finishes. Also, our intensity is a little low early in the game and then we have to chase it later on. Still, all these games have been exhibition. Big one on Friday!

BRF

7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    1-1 draw against akron in FW. on to the real thing with a tough trip to north carolina.

8. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    The first period was IU's freshmen vs probably the same from Xavier. Second period was more like our starting lineup and Xavier dominated although they didn't get any real shots on goal. Third period we dominated and should have had about three goals. The man of the match was Xavier's keeper.

In the Louisville game, we reverted to our usual problems - lot's of shots but no finish. Muse got chipped on a 45 yd shot <sigh>. That goal was the difference.

We tied Akron in Ft. Wayne 1-1 (Cory Thomas; the Akron keeper failed to clear a cross and it fell to Cory). We outshot Akron again 5-1 SOG, total shots 16-3.

On to NC!

BRF

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    It looks like both of this weekend's games are available to stream via the WatchESPN app.

10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    we had our hearts broken at wake on friday and turned the tables to break tar heel hearts on sunday. one win and one loss on the weekend is a fine result on such a tough trip.

BigRedFootie and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yes, but... We looked lethargic and a step behind in much of each game. We'll have to do better to stay in the top 8. Much of the Wake game was like a tennis match, each team giving the ball away to the other. We started out the same way w/ UNC, but played a much better second half.

We still need to play wider on both offense and defense and our newer players need to work on their passing and trapping.

A big thank you to the Central Carolina IU Alumni Association for hosting a very nice tailgate last night at WakeMed field! They were awesome. There were at least 100 IU fans cheering on the Hossiers.

stphnsn repped this.
  12. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
  13. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    BigRedFootie repped this.
  14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Played a valiant but outmatched Dartmouth team tonight in a light drizzle. We dominated from the outset. The first two goals we scored were nice. The first was a cross from Glass, nodded on by Thomas, and finished by Gutman. The second was scored when Dorsey got behind (way behind) the defense on a very nice pass from Gutman. The third was scored by Panchot on a semi-howler, the ball going between the legs of the keeper during an otherwise routine save.

"Gee, but it's great to be back home." On to UConn.

stphnsn repped this.
  15. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    This game was much closer, but we still dominated for the most part. Muse had to make two significant saves, one on a lunar bounce by a shot taken from distance and another from a good shot close in on a breakaway. Our goal was pretty - another restart by Swartz, finished by a nice header by Gutman.

BRF

stphnsn repped this.
  16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Boy - it occurs to me that we will have a hard time getting into the top 8 of the RPI regardless of our record. The B1G looks fairly weak at this moment and none of the other teams (except ND) will help our SoS.

17. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    It was supposed to rain all night in Bloomington, but we were spared most of it. Not so for VCU. The goals rained in - Glass (actually an own goal), Rennicks, Gutman, Palazzolo, and Buckmaster tallied goals. This allowed time for lots of subs. Twenty one players in all played for IU.

On to ND.

BRF

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    IU is rollin', right now. Four straight shutouts after an OT road loss to the No. 1 team in the country.

An away game at undefeated Notre Dame will be a good test but if they come out of this one unscathed, then we can pretty much erase all doubt as to whether or not they are for real.

19. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    It seems as though they are 7 now... way to soon to focus on RPI with conference and ND/Kentucky still to play. They'll be fine.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    IU v ND. Wow - we pull it out, but not without controversy. Our goal looked offside to me (and the AR), but they decided it wasn't. I didn't have the best angle, but man...

BRF

21. DFLion

DFLion New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Greenwood
    Tony, AR is one of the best and was in the correct position. Looking at the replay it was difficult to see offsides since the camera was way up field. And did Klein touch it?

22. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Klein got an assist, no?

23. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Watching the video there is no doubt that that was offsides. Not taking anything away from their win. They went into ND, played well against another strong opponent and luck goes your way sometimes.

24. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    The only possibility is if the ND back had his back foot on the line. However, the keeper was completely in the goal. Would he count as one of the two defensive players in that position?

25. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    The keeper does count, but I paused the video where you can clearly see the Indiana forward standing on the line and the closest ND defender is a 2 yards off of it. It doesn't matter at this point, Indiana put themselves in a position to win and they did so. To be 5-1 with the schedule they have is impressive.