IU Hoosiers 2018

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by stphnsn, Jan 6, 2018.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    we start the year losing our leading scorer and B1G freshman of the year mason toye. i can't blame him for taking the money while it's there, but i would have loved to see him play another three years for us.

i wonder who else will leave before the fall.

2. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    You know, I've done a very unscientific, anecdotal study of the longevity of IU players who play(ed) in the MLS and it seems to me that the players w/ the longest careers were the ones who stayed in school the longest.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'll be stunned if Gutman is back next year.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I can understand this, but the time to pull the trigger (from a Chicago/Gutman perspective) would be prior to camp which starts right after the draft (1/19). Gutman is not a sure thing to be a starting MLS LB in a mere 3 months. Going through camp and the season preparation would be essential for a successful 2018 season for Gutman and Chicago. It would be much more difficult if Gutman waited until the summer and for what purpose? Certainly not, soccer - perhaps another semester of IU education. Or it might be from a contractual perspective, try-out in Europe to drive up the initial HG contract.

Does Chicago want to hedge their bets having Vincent compete with Gutman for a season and at what salary (even HG)? If Vincent has a fast start without injuries, they may leave Gutman at IU until next year. If Vincent is traded, this will signal that Gutman is signed.

Note. I really haven't followed Chicago in 2017, so perhaps, I'm overestimating Vincent's role.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    lillard signed HG with the fire a couple days ago. it's been fun watching him play over the last 4 years. you knew he was done playing for us, but man, he'll be tough to replace.

6. Fire Confidential reports Gutman will be in Fire camp after the MLS draft. No word whether or not he will sign a HG deal, but it looks like his IU soccer days are over.

7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it would be exciting to see both lillard and gutman playing with the fire. do they have a usl affiliate? with indy 11 now in usl, and the fire having DAs throughout indiana, the connection would be obvious if it hasn't already happened.

fknbuflobo, willydonc and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. USL affiliate is Tulsa. Indy would have been nice to park Cam Lindley for a year, but not with his rights shipped to Orlando.

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    iu released statements saying trey muse AND andrew gutman will be returning for next season. that's great news for the hoosiers, but a lot can change between now and september.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  10. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Are Harrison Petts and Chris Mueller from Wisconsin related? Am I crazy in thinking they look a lot alike?

11. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    we have matches against valpo and evansville listed on the schedule for today, but there are no details. i assume they're just informal scrimmages. does anyone know anything? there's nothing on twitter or instagram.

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009

13. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Was at the game with Swope Park Rangers. Good showing by IU. AJ in the back for Lillard and Warr up top. Dorsey picked up a ding so he didn't play. Glass stepped in and did a very good job.

stphnsn repped this.
  14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I was at both the SLU and Butler matches. The SLU match was much more like a scrimmage - a COLD scrimmage. We played guys that wouldn't usually get on the field in the first half and came back with more of the regulars in the second. IU was riding a comfortable 1 goal lead on a PK by Dorsey (who also earned it) until SLU got a free kick late and put an amazing shot into the upper 90. Game ended tied, 1-1.
    Last night we played Butler indoors at Grand Park in Westfield, IN. Again, a lot of people got in the game, but our nucleus of starters was in for longer this time. We got some goals - 3 - and all were pretty. Seriously nice teamwork-type goals. Panchot from Warr, Dorsey from Panchot, and then we just stuffed the ball into the area with tremendous pressure and caused an own goal. Caulfield, who played the entire game, had 4 saves, only two of which were really of note.

stphnsn repped this.
  15. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    we lost 3-0 to ND on sunday. then lost coach mais to OSU on monday. not a great start to the week.

i wonder how much impact losing mais will have on the program. he stayed with us so long that he must have had a huge role. i'd imagine he was big in recruiting, but i also wonder how much training and game prep he was responsible for. how much of the success since 2010 has been due to mais' input? i hope we can find someone to step in and pick up the slack, but you feel like there's going to be a huge hole to fill.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  16. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
  17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    ACC games meant espn3 streams last season. is that still the case going forward, or will they only be on espn+ now?

18. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    ND: Remember that the day before was the Little 500. I'm somewhat surprised we fielded a team! :cool:
    Mais: He will be missed, but this was inevitable. The perfect job had to come around in order to entice him, and it happened. He knows C'bus well from his time w/ the Crew.

19. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    The Hoosiers rebounded from their loss to ND by playing well against the Mexico U-20's. El Tri was the better overall side in the first half and the Hoosiers were the better side in the second. There probably should have been a penalty against Mexico in the last minute but, in the interest of international relations, the center ref let it go. NBD - spring game.

stphnsn repped this.
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former MLS star Danny O’Rourke joins Indiana Hoosiers staff
    May 17, 2018

https://www.soccerwire.com/notes/fo...rourke-joins-indiana-hoosiers-coaching-staff/

After his tremendous career at Indiana, O’Rourke was drafted by the San Jose Earthquakes with the fourth overall pick in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft. O’Rourke played 11 seasons in the MLS with the Earthquakes, New York Red Bulls, Columbus Crew and Portland Timbers, earning 186 starts in 200 career matches. O’Rourke is a two-time MLS Cup winner, taking home the title with the Columbus Crew in 2008 and the Portland Timbers in 2015.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nice hire.

(I mean on paper. I have no idea if he's actually a good coach but he damn sure fits the profile of a really good coach and I'd be quite surprised if he wasn't.)

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So CONCACAF U20 WC qualifying is in November and that could negatively impact several top teams.

At this point, I'm not sure how many collegians will be on the team - the number shrinks every cycle - but Muse is definitely a contender to make the squad and, as the article says, would have a tough choice to make.

The timing really sucks.

23. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

bhoys, fknbuflobo and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  24. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    the season got underway last night with 3 halves of exhibition soccer against xavier. x won the first 2-0. second was 0-0. hoosiers won the third 1-0.