it's time i said it:

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Nov 28, 2009.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i love michael dawson.

there.

it's done. it's out there, and it can't be taken back. the whole world knows, and the whole world should know. frankly, it's none too soon.

this is nothing to do with the goal*, either, mindst thee. today, i was only able to time my lunch in a way that allowed me to sneak home for the second half, so that's all i saw. i didn't realize until now that daws had been given the armband. and too fooking right, imvvvho. granted, he didn't have a great deal to do (at least in the 2nd half) back there, but what he had was dealt with consumately. whether or not he is 'rated', he is class.

anyway, it got me thinking. y'know, it doesn't seem long ago that daws seemed strong beside ledley, but a bit at sea when placed alongside a 'lesser' centerback. now, it's not uncommon for him to outshine any of his three more illustrious pairings. we've gone out and pegged centerbacks as a 'need' in the last i-don't-know-how-many windows, and seen him get bumped down the depthchart i-don't-know-how-many times ... but he never wants away. he always stays in and fights for his minutes ... and is rock solid when he (inevitably) gets them.

i tell you what. alot of talent comes in and out the doors at spurs. like any other yiddo, brilliance like klinsmann's, ginola's, and berbatov's will turn my head. they are the ones that you love to see ... that get you excited in the here and now. but the players that invariably end up being my favorites are those that come in, stay, are solid ... and are spurs. the perrymans ... the mabbutts ... the duquemins (ok, i'm not that old). sometimes you don't even realize they're your favorites until most of their time at the club is past. certainly ledley's up there. and keano surely would've been, if he hadn't buggered off to liverpool. but daws is slowly but surely creeping his way into my footy-heart. laugh if you will, but he may well be my favorite player in our fairly-star-laden squad.

... and i'm secure enough in my masculinity to start a thread that says so.

*or, more importantly, with anything sexual. except, like, y'know, that kind of 'footballish sexual' whose pull we all sometimes feel ... y'know ... when you're at the grounds ... or at the pub ... or sometimes all alone. i've said too much.

2. LedleybetterthanSol

Jun 16, 2004
    Gold Coast/Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Dawson has proven to be a very loyal player for this club. He never creates a fuss and is never in the news for the wrong reasons. He is a class act.

He could start at most clubs in this league so we are lucky to have him as cover. I think the captaincy was warranted, but is also a bit of a way for Harry to show he appreciates his contribution to the club.

He is proving to be a true Yid.

3. YiddoInAkron

YiddoInAkron Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He had an exceptional 06-07 season but for some reason or another, didn't push on from there to start 07-08 (to be fair, nobody really did to start that season :lol:) but it was plain to see that he had some talent and today was an exhibition of that talent. Nevermind the goal, what about chasing that speeding bullet known as Agbonglahor down in the middle of the park and absolutely merking him from behind and getting nothing but ball? I had to stand up and applaud that tackle.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "pook and Dawson sitting in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g..." :)

Really, I agree. Dawson is worthy of the gushing giving by pook. I have always thought he would turn out to be quality, if not more. Sure, anybody can have a run of 5 or 10 or even half a season of great football. But he did it for a full season. And IIRC, "Steven Hawking" King was not always in the line up (wasn't he even out for a month or so?). When you are that young and can hold it down for an entire season, you deserve to be loved.

Now, about those sexual feelings...

5. LI Matt

LI Matt Member

May 18, 2009
    Lawn Guyland, NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me he didn't get along with Ramos, for whatever reason, and his play suffered. With 'Arry in charge, Dawson has returned to the player he was for BMJ.

6. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the diet wasn't it? I thought I had read that he was having bad headaches (migraines possibly?) and whatnot because of the new dietary system implemented by Ramos.

7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That Villa game was almost flawless for young Michael. I don't know who was the official MoM but he got my vote. Forget about the goal (and to think, he could have got 2 but for the superb clearance off the line!), there was the tackling already mentioned, and the fantastic distribution. In his breakout season that was the one flaw in his game, but it was noticeable yesterday that his passes out of defence are generally not hoofs out of trouble, but intelligent, accurate passes to a midfielder who can push on.

Well deserved thread.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    hey, he could do worse.

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Dawson and Bassong looked good out there. I agree that we don't seem to need any more center backs. Add a solid backup goalkeeper and another central midfielder, and the squad looks pretty good.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But electric has such mesmerizing eyes...just look at his avatar.

11. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This sort of fanboy-ish stupidity is ridiculous. You're making yourself look incredibly weak-minded and silly, being so supportive of this incredibly average player.

Tano, on the other hand..........

13. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    i'd like to think he is at least above average.. i'm a big fan of dawson because he works extremely hard, never gives up and doesn't bitch. i was already a fan of him, but he totally won me over in the carling cup final.

14. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It was tongue in cheek. I too like Dawson, particularly because he plays with a smile and always has time for the fans.

Hauler repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/sendmessage.php

Copy and paste this in to the message box.
    I would like to change my username to "I heart Tano."
    :D

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i'm fairly certain that when fabio capello left the lane yesterday at the 80-somethingish minute, he was thinking to himself, "that's it. i'm done with that worthless piece of shit john terry ... and i've sorted his replacement."

... at least that's what he should have been thinking.

17. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    At this point, if making the England team were based solely on performance, Dawson would be the first name on the list.

Factor in experience, then Terry and Ferdinand get in there ahead of him, but I don't see how anyone else has a real case to be the understudy ahead of Daws. It'll be a fecking travesty if someone like Upson goes instead, and I'll lose a lot of respect for Capello.

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The chant yesterday was the old King one changed slightly, 'you can stick Sol Campbell up your arse, cos we got Dawson at the back.'

19. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would be fantastic for Michael to go to SA, and well-deserved. Sure he wouldn't play much, but he has to be in better form than Upson, Lescott etc. He's been solid all year and has had outstanding games vs. Arse and Chelsea.

20. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On form, is there a better English central defender? Not Ferdinand, Terry, Upson, Lescott, Jagielka even.

21. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ChinaDan

ChinaDan Member

May 29, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Been brilliant this season, but it we be interesting to see where he fits into the team with a fit again King and Woodgate.

Huddlestone has impressed me this season as well.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    woodgate will never be fit again.

24. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it would take a major advance in medicine (or cybernetics?) to make King truly fit ever again.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article also hints at why England won't win the WC, even with Dawson in the squad.