It's Official - The Juan Mata Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So we're just gonna ignore logic and reasoning and repeat the same things over and over?

Cool. Cool.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #428 Ashur, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    We have a difference of opinion. That's all this is when it's all said and done. We can just agree to disagree and just leave at that.
    Cool, cool... :whistling:

And furthermore, I really don't see what you're getting bent about. I said explicitly and numerous times now that I believe Mata will most likely leave because of our contract rule.
    I simply expressed what I would like to see happen in this situation, which probably won't happen. What's the problem here???

4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Yup I would love to see fecking Mr Ed ti break the rule for Mata .. we are continuing with Jose ..whats worst than that..

5. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't know if anyone has done the research in soccer but in baseball there was a similar conventional wisdom that players who did not rely on their athleticism and had "old man skills" would generally age better, except when someone actually did the research (Bill James, the godfather of baseball analytics was the first one to look into it I believe; I know Nate Silver also did some research on this) it turned out to be completely 100% backwards. Players who lack in athleticism actually tend to age worse, possibly because if you get by with poor athleticism already you can't afford to lose a step without falling below acceptable levels.

Different games obviously but I think it's dangerous to make the assumption that Mata will age gracefully because of his skillset.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you look at Matas running style, it's gotten more stiff and awkward each season. He's ageing fast and it's evident in how rigid he is when he moves. His effectiveness is tailing off fast .

Futbol_Head repped this.
  7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Yet he has saved pur faces in recent months comkng off bench... he is still a good player and apart from Pogba we only have Mata who can put/create junction or flow of passes .. He uses the ball well in final third ..we all know his limitation but very good technical player to have in squad...

jnielsen repped this.
  8. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His running style has always been that of a little old man wearing high heels.

johno repped this.
  9. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    lol at Mata outlasting Jose

jnielsen, johno, giggs88 and 2 others repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for some optimism at United - Mata

www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11591144/juan-mata-says-it-is-time-for-optimism-at-man-utd

Preach Juanito! Although thoroughly justified, the constant negativity, constantly expecting the worst and so on, was getting to be toxic. Let's hope that we've really turned the corner, are back on track and looking to some brighter days ahead. That's my main wish, as far as United are concerned. Enough of the carp we've had to endure for most of the last 5 and a half years (!).

Anonymous_United repped this.
  11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Lets hope all the dross and negative football is behind us. Not expecting much from Ole other than getting the squad to work together in positive environment play them as unit on pitch, anything abive that would be bonus.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would expect Juan to have s successful managerial career. Or he may go into politics.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  16. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Writers and journalist sure know how to kill the hype of their article before its read.

Mata's career never promised more. He isnt and never was a Man Utd player. People stick up for him and like him because he is a good person. Not many people have a lot of bad things to say about him outside the pitch.

But he was never going to reach the heights of his best seasons with Chelsea here. Like Fellaini, he is a symbol of the failed transition from the Fergie era.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs are on alert over the uncertainty over his United future.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/47039316

Rumor has it that he has a fresh offer on the table for a year (with possible club option for another).

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Mata should be a 'def keep' as squad player..

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A. Mata should go. He'll be on too high of wages for a guy that's essentially useless to us in Oles system. We all like Mata but we can't keep a guy on top 5 wages because he's likable and a good ambassador .

B. His father is full of shit. Claiming Barca and all these top PL clubs are after him. Everyone knows he doesn't have it anymore. Barca may be an option because his style fits theirs but that's about the only top team that would be interested.

We don't need Mata taking first team minutes from Chong, Gomes, or Greenwood.

24. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don’t think Mata is worth whatever he is getting paid. United need improvement, not stagnation. That is what these re-ups shows. I vote no.

Don’t sign Mata and use that money for Herrera.

J'can, benni... and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really didn't mind Mata staying when Mourinho was still in charge, but under Ole, there really is no point in keeping him around. Great guy and person to have on the team and dressing room, but there is simply a lack of room for him at this juncture. Lingard and AP already can do everything he does and physically, are a better fit to the tempo we are looking to adopt. And then, there is the matter of Gomes potentially being brought up. Minutes and games could be scarce as it is. Having Mata at a medium to high salary makes no sense from all points of view.

jnielsen repped this.