It's not about Pro/Rel, it's about accountability!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by GaSarge, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaSarge

GaSarge Member

FC Dallas, Liverpool, Bayern Munich,
    United States
    Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the argument for Pro/Rel is about accountability in the sense you learn to fight with everything you have to survive and if you are not good enough you go down and those that, can go up. Here are a couple of thoughts:
    1. The problem with MLS is the fact that we just keep recycling bad players (re-entry draft, whatever) with no accountability. When Dallas misses the playoffs this week I hope 6-10 players lose their jobs at a minimum. Instead of us recycling Harris, Grana, etc. who have proven they cannot play at this level and we bring in new "better" players to improve the team. Until teams approach it this way there is no accountability. I hope Kreis does drop 10 players from Orlando as well.
    2. Flip the cards in MLS, if you are bottom of the table it hurts the pocketbook of the owner, do not give them the top draft, and more allocation, this is attune to giving everyone a trophy. Twellman said it clearly, what other league int he world gives benefits to the last place team, NO they get relegated and lose a ton of money.
    Thoughts? Pro/Rel, although beneficial to player development, will most likely never happen in America (owners won't do it, not enough money involved, soccer is not big enough, not enough cities that can support it, etc.)

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you expect to get 6-10 new players better than Harris et al without recycling some of them given the international player limits?

superdave repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are about a billion other threads in the MLS forums about promotion and relegation.

Go find one.

jayd8888 repped this.