It's always Sunny.....

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Father Ted, May 22, 2017.

1. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that guy, he even wears it indoor.

dadman repped this.
  2. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Yeah, can't remember his name. He cracks me up. That visor must be held together with head sweat.

dadman and Mi3ke repped this.
  3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    His shirt is tucked in too! I'm glad he is channeling his inner John Stockton.

Just out of curiosity does anyone use wristbands or sweatbands?

MetroFever repped this.
  4. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do, all the time and usually on both wrists.

5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I do if I think I'm going to break a sweat. :cautious:

dadman and roby repped this.
  6. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Do they help? I live in an area that is a few inches short of rain of being a desert. We have pretty hot conditions. I tend to sweat more then usual. So a friend suggested I use some type of band. Normally I just use my sleeves.

7. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Most daytime games in Houston, I'm going to sweat. I will modify to say that I generally only wear one when I'm an AR.
    But to the question at hand, yes, they help. When I don't wear them I feel the sweat rolling down my hands, when I go on a hard run I see/feel sweat come off my hands and splatter my face, and my whistles end up wet and difficult to hold onto.

8. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I tried wearing wristbands, but they just make my wrists super hot and, therefore, I feel hotter.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    They help me a lot for brow-wiping purposes, not for keeping my hands dry. Never had much of a problem with that. (Or with hot wrists, for that matter. Trying to imagine what that would feel like.) I just wear one on my right (backup watch) wrist.

What works even better is a hat with an effective sweatband, which the new OSI breathable sun hat definitely has. I really like it, but as we know, that's a different discussion entirely.

10. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little bit surprised you haven't been dinged yet for using your sleeves to wipe your brow with the level you ref. I started wearing a wristband after getting chewed out for wiping my face with my sleeve too much at youth regionals one year. I wear a tennis-sized wristband on my dominant hand now, and I don't see myself going back. I can wipe my brow, and it prevents me from losing grip of my whistle and dripping sweat onto the paper in my book when I write. Plus, using the wristband quickly on a dead ball looks way better on camera compared to rubbing your face into your sleeve and looking preoccupied/unfocused.

dadman, IASocFan and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    My wristband always matches my socks.

I wear it with the OSI logo showing for USSF matches but turned under for NFHS.

roby and Law5 repped this.
  12. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Do you put tape on it? And does it match the color?

dadman and roby repped this.
  13. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did the chewer outer chew you out for this? And congratulations! If that's what he found to chew you out over you must have nailed the real stuff!!

dadman, Law5 and IASocFan repped this.
  14. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For basically the reasons I posted above. In stadiums and on tv, perception is reality. Raising your arm to rub your face against your sleeve at a dead ball (or dipping your head against your sleeve) looks like you are not aware/focused on potential issues. A quick wristband swipe across the forehead looks much cleaner. I had never thought about it before, but I agree now.

dadman, Rufusabc and camconcay repped this.
  15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    And all this time, I thought OSI made the sleeves THAT big for that reason.

16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    OR they were one of those youth regionals assessors who major in the minors.

camconcay repped this.
  17. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm sure it does and that his suspenders blend in nicely. :p

dadman repped this.
  18. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be honest I never put much thought into it. I have a tendency to use my sleeve, however, I was concerned with how sanitary the wristbands would be. I also sometimes "forget" to wash my jersey and I'm sure the wristbands would be lost in the labyrinth of my referee bag.
    This will be something I am going to have to reconsider.