It's always Sunny.....

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Father Ted, May 22, 2017.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As a new referee in my 40's, I am enjoying the experience so far. However, I had 3 games yesterday and despite putting on sunblock before each game, I ended up getting a good old sunburn on my pasty Irish skin and balding head. Are hats allowed? I remember reading somewhere they are not.

dadman and Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    They are now. USSF came out with new guidance on that last year, and OSI issued some nice new very breathable hats to celebrate.

In addition to good sunblock, I (and my dermatologist) recommend Heliocare pills.

voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  3. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
  4. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I wear a black Brooks running cap. The USSF OSI caps have teeny holes in them and may not provide 100% UV coverage.

I did tons of games this weekend and despite ample sunblock, and hat (I'm also bald on over 40) I still got some burning, but mild.

DON"T forget to sunblock the back of your knees, that little space between sock and shorts can get right burned up like bacon

Find a running cap if you're not into the OSI one, they tend to breathe really well. I blacked out the Brooks logo on mine. And they're easy to find without logos and designs. Ask your assignor first though, everyone has different requirements. Our cares not one bit.

I work with one older guy who only ever wears long sleeve shirts to avoid the sun, he says the heat doesn't bother him though. maybe something to try?

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thanks guys, I ordered the hat from official sports just now.

6. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm over 50 and balding enough that I just keep it cut tight/shaved down. I wear a hat any time I'm out during the day and always have generous sunscreen on. If I'm doing multiple games I will often wean long sleeves even in summer.

7. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I'll second that! Worst, most painful sunburn I've ever had was after two games as an AR on the same side, with the sun blazing behind me.
    Never again.

8. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a tournament in Atlanta a couple of years ago. The assignor game me four games, 2 ARs and 2 Centers, starting at 10:00 am in July. I was sure I had my hat in my bag, but guess what. I paid dearly for that. I used plenty of sunscreen, but at those temperatures, it only stays on for a few minutes.

9. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    If you have the new uniforms wear the long sleeves, it's what I do in sunny weather and doing multiple games. You'll notice very little temperature difference.

IASocFan repped this.
  10. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    A nice black beret makes a good statement.

Then you can mime your responses to any complaints from the coaches.

rh89, roby, SccrDon and 6 others repped this.
  11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I kid you not, this was the ref at the field next to my son's game.
    Ridiculous
    [​IMG]

MetroFever and seattlebeach repped this.
  12. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    At least he's wearing the two stripe socks. That has to count for something...:rolleyes:

13. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wear long sleeve until the temperature is well in the 90's. When I do one or two games in a day, I typically don't wear a hat, but I do use sunscreen. If I work 3 or more games I wear a hat plus sunscreen on the lines and I take the hat off on my middles. Additionally I always tell my AR's to be comfortable out there.

Doug the Ref repped this.
  14. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I forgot to re-apply to my legs on Saturday. The difference is much more pronounced on my legs now. After my shower my wife said, "You have to come with me to the pool this summer." She also has made reference to me rolling up my trunks so I can wear shorts shorter than my ref shorts.

15. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I'm confused on what's going on there. Are those rolled-up pants? Shorts at different lengths? Does he have a special pocket on the right leg? The mind reels.

At least the hat is strapped down - very little chance of it becoming an outside agent on the field.

dadman repped this.
  16. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    THIS, all day every day, THIS. I never say boo about what someone wears. My philosophy has always been that you perform better if you're comfortable.

cmonref repped this.
  17. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I wear the ref-tan with pride. If nothing else I can hope it distracts folks from my not so slender belly.

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm jealous of you guys with the sun issues. I have reffed the last four days in long sleeves, because it wasn't warm enough for short sleeves.

cleansheetbsc and Doug the Ref repped this.
  19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    He has the shorts rolled under.
    Trying to get some sun on those pasty-white thighs

20. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Couple of weeks ago, CR "Crap, I don't have a hat, I can't see anything with the sun on that side"
    ME: "I have an extra cap, it's drifit running cap, but it's got a Mariner's logo on the front."
    CR "That's awesome, thanks!"
    AR1 " Don't even think of wearing that on my line when I'm in the middle"
    CR "Cool, don't even think of getting upset when I blow every offside and OOB call facing that direction."

Good times

There's an older guy here who wears a visor with a Nerf logo on the front every day, every match, regardless of weather.

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

I believe it was a PL game a couple of years ago in which an AR had sun in his eyes. (I'm guessing it was an odd sun angle that they didn't usually have to deal with.) In order to see, the AR borrowed a hat from a team -- so he was wearing a hat with the logo of one of the teams that was playing.

Those of us who do games where sun can be expected to be a problem (unlike typical stadia a the top levels), should be prepared with an appropriate hat in case it is needed. But as your CR pointed out, being able to see is more important than the kind of hat being worn -- and when it really is about seeing, it's pretty obvious to anyone watching why the hat is necessary.

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  22. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    G JV, dual system a few years ago. Among many, many other issues my partner had with his uniform (and positioning, and rules knowledge, and frankly, hygiene), he wore a NASCAR hat the entire game. There was no sun, no rain.

Second half, I am bench side, the home coach sidles up beside me. "So, ref, I thought you guys were supposed to match with each other?" Me: "Uh, yeah, well....." Him: "So you left your NASCAR hat at home?"

That was also the first time I ever worked with a partner who stuck around for the start of the varsity game because "Usually if you go to the concession stand in uniform and ask nicely, they'll give you some free french fries."

AlextheRef, rh89, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  23. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I'm going to give that OSI hat a look. On a cloudless day I can actually see better with my prescription sunglasses than my clear lenses. But assignors are frowning on me wearing them. And the all black hat I have holds in the sweat really well. I take the hat off and it's almost a waterfall!

24. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    It's why I always carry my hat and an extra. Just in case.

The worst is when you're AR on a sunny day on a football field with a white border. Squinty squintington time

dadman repped this.
  25. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Yup...they'd rather us squint through the sun half-blind than wear a pair a sunglasses.
    Something I've never understood.