It's All Over Now

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Lizzie Bee, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life as I know it has come to an end.

It started out simply enough--"Look how cute! He's trying to climb out of his crib!" It has morphed into, "I've already put you back in your crib 75 times tonight. Please go to sleep." And "You didn't sleep last night. It's nap time. Stop climbing into your twin brother's crib and waking him up. GO TO SLEEP!"

Anybody with advice ... please ... help... Can't hold on much longer... And this has only been going on for 24 hours ... :D

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It always starts off so cute, doesn't it? Over Christmas, my wife and I went from "Look, he's starting to crawl!" to "Uh oh, don't crawl over there!" to "Holy ********ing ********, we have to babyproof everything immediately!" in the space of a few hours.

4. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i live in a split level house and my daughter used to push her highchair around to practice walking. one day, she pushed it right down the stairs, while still holding on to it. she went flying down 5 steps and landed on the highchair. of course, she was only 2 feet from my wife when it happened.

5. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the most concerning things to me is that last night when he crawled out of bed, he didn't beeline for Mom and Dad's room but was headed off to who-knows-where before we became conscience enough to figure out what was happening. He's also very adept at unlocking and opening doors--it's only a matter of time before he pushes a chair over to unbolt the front door. Then we'll be the parents on the news report looking embarrased. "We woke up and couldn't find him anywhere... 20 minutes later, the police found him walking down the street naked."

Did I mention he loves to take off his clothes and diaper? My son is lucky he is so dang cute and happy or else this could get pretty ugly. ;)

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did they outlaw peregoric?

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Our little one, within minutes of being able to stand up in his crib, found the one dowel that he can slam up & down. Better than screaming, but almost as annoying.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our little guy never had much interest in climbing but one day he was sitting on the floor at 7 a.m. crying his head off. though we didn't see it, we assume he fell out of the crib as he leaned over to reach something.
    we bought him a toddler bed that day and took apart the crib. He never skipped a beat.

We're also lucky that he won't leave his room without permission. He'll stand at the door and yell our names until we tell him it's OK to come out. It's pretty sweet.

Of course, it'll all be over when he figures out that if he doesn't ask he can go play with stuff he shouldn't be while dad snores away. then i'll be sorry. :(

:D

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I just cannot believe how FAST they can crawl and disappear on you. Also even though the stairs in my home are barricaded better than many a NATO facility, I still found my barely one-year old half-way up the stairs one day, nearly giving me a heart attack. We've nicknamed him Houdini.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    montgjules: Your issue seems to be a rugrat that won't sleep at night and I have a bit of advise which you may have already partially used... in my experience heavy exercise during the day may lead to silence at night, or at very least, fewer mid-dawn wakeups... try one of those small circular baby crawlers or walkers for baby for daylong exercise and keep him/her in it so they get lots of PT during day... more so is better for developing rugrat limbs.. hold-off on late afternoon and evening naps and force baby to stay up... More exercise during day leads to deeper and longer sleep at night... Hold off on last milk feeding as late as possible and exercise heavily with baby on floor just before putting them down for the evening... good luck...

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think the little guy would fit into one of those clear hamster balls? ;)

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obvious question: are you getting up every time he cries, at the instant he starts crying? Are you turning the lights on?

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My oldest got out of the crib, came into the living room grinning from ear to ear and mom and dad picked him, put him back in the crib and told him he had to stay there until morning. And he did. He never climbed out of his crib again.

Unfortunately, the twins weren't buying that line and basically raised hell from the time they were two until they were 4. They wouldn't stay in bed, wouldn't take naps and trashed their room after 'going to bed.' For them, we tried gates, staying by the room and returning them to bed if they emerged, putting them in the same bed, different beds, the works. Nothing helped except having another baby. Then, when they misbehaved, we ignored them.

14. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son is almost two--do you think I could hold him still if I tried? Except, of course, when he's stuffing his gullet...
    We have been "training" his sleep since he was born, helping him learn how to self-soothe step-by-step since he was a wee one. We ignore him as long as we can, but that's not very long when he wakes up and hurdles into his brother's bed and wakes him up screaming... We're trying to figure a way to move them into separate bedrooms right now so that we can officially sleep through his middle-of-the-night excitement.

Last night he woke up at 4:30 a.m. and woke up his brother. They were both wired ("Is it morning already?? Wheee!!") and eventually we got the twin brother back to sleep but the instigator of the event stayed awake until 6 a.m., then slept until 8:30. I'm tired. The kids get to party all day while I walk around in a trance, trying to remember my own name.

15. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not giving me a lot of hope regarding twins here... Yikes, you poor person!

I know this'll all be "funny" later... but not yet.

16. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick update:

For the first time since we moved into our house, we didn't have any crib set up in our house last night. I put our older son's old toddler bed into his room and let the "good sleeper" twin sleep in his room (minor problems but not too bad). Then I bought a new toddler bed for the "climb out and play" twin and put him in to sleep on his own.

A week ago I wouldn't have believed this was possible--the twins are both sleeping through the night (almost) in toddler beds and going to sleep with only slight hassle. Life is awesome again.

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great news!

18. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

a good shake does the job..slows down the senses and makes them confused..bout time he figures out he was crying..its the next morning.:D

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even joking (I think you're joking) about shaking a baby or a toddler is, well, not that funny.

20. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Well ok.....i have a way of spinning things, and shaking them up.

Naw but seriously...i had that problem with my son..he cried so much the first 2 days...they kept a close eye on him. Then when we got him home ..it didnt quit. It was hard..but he worked and we worked thru it. Nothing you can really do but stick it out.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really knew I was in trouble when shortly after he started walking, my son took a bunch of books from the bookshelf and built himself a staircase to reach on top of cabinets and tables and stuff.

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    He's a born engineer!

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club: