Italy's upcoming friendlies: Saudi Arabia, France, and Netherlands

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, May 19, 2018.

1. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    In our last 2 WC victories, we played a 4-4-2 and a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 if you consider Totti spent a lot of time in midfield. I think we are at our best when we have numbers in the midfield.

We don't have Kroos and Modric in our midfield with that kind of pace and work rate. When we play with 2 or 3 man midfields, we need guys that can cover space quickly with foot speed and skill. We don't have that right now.

Rosay and Hulk_Hogan_Italia repped this.
  2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Agreed. Been saying for some time we need a bit more industry and muscle in the midfield. 3 men is not enough.

3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    You rely on what you believe historically has best suited us. How we best lined up in 2006 or 1982 has nothing to do with what we need to do today. I don't advocate a four man midfield or a three-man midfield, but rather that we utilize the formation that works best for the players we have and we don't become married to any particular formation.

You bring up a legitimate point in that we don't have guys of the caliber of Kroos and Modric bossing the midfield. However, if you believe we need to utilize four true midfielders to compensate for that lack of depth, the problem is that this side struggles to get goals. I'm not sure that a front line that only features two of Balotelli, Belotti, Insigne, Immobile, etc. is talented enough to cause problems to any other big side. Hell, Immobile, Belotti and Candreva couldn't do anything in two legs against a mediocre side like Sweden.

4. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ventura proved to us that 4-2-4 is the way to go.

#bringbackthe424

calabrese8 and gumbacicc repped this.
  5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Whatever we do, I absolutely do not want to see a 4-2-4. Not just under Ventura, but just use your heads, that is clearly asking for danger. When you have 2 midfielders (likely without much experience for us), left alone and 4 going way up attack, and our opponents have 3 midfielders against us, what do you think will happen? Use your heads guys.

6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The highlighted portion is the problematic part; not the formation in and of itself. When you have a buffoon like Ventura managing the team and not ensuring the players understand their respective roles, of course the team is going to have issues. Juve proved this season that a 4-2-4 can be employed against quality opposition and still render results. (See Tottenham return leg). Again, though, that is under a good manager with good players who understood their defensive responsibilities.

7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The problem has been finishing, but also in those friendlies that cost us a 2nd seed and in the Spain game, we were severely overrun in the midfield due to experimenting with a formation we don't have the players for. So, whilst I agree with you that we should build a lineup around the players that we have and are suited for, I don't see it in a 424 or 433. Finishing, in my opinion, has been a nerve thing. After the Spain game and the beating they took in the media there was a clear fear in the team and I think it compromised them, Ventura did it by showing no confidence in their ability to compete with Spain in Spain and then severely handicapped them with a ridiculous formation that they were clearly not suited for.

Contrast that to the Conte era where he got the most out of less by giving them a formation they could compete with, at a high level, and when finishing was almost near perfect. Pelle, Giacherini, and friends didn't miss many opportunities. Confidence was high and they were mentally prepared.

I just want to see a team that, like you say, does play to their strengths and a coach who knows what their strengths are and builds the lineup suited to it. I don't really mind the experimenting in friendlies. I always believed that was what friendlies were for. Unfortunately now they're going to affect your seeding much more than ever before, so it has to be taken into consideration and experimenting recklessly, or excessively is limited now.

8. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yeah but the fact is we need to have the players on the flanks that can track back enable to successfully do that formation. I am a Juventus fan, and against Tottenham with only like 20 min to go, we used Asamoah and Lichtsteiner who are capable of tracking back. More like a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-2-4.

Bernardeschi is the only player we have that I see capable of playing that formation. Who are you going to put on the other side? Don't you dare say Insigne, as he really is not tactically flexible at all. I don't think Chiesa is that good tracking back either. Bonaventura might work, but not sure if he is good enough in general.

9. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Is Bale a winger that one sees as a defensive-minded player? Of course not, but Real Madrid made it work. I think your critique of the 4-2-4 with the players we have is legitimate. I just think that we're taking for granted that we're going to get a bunch of goals which has been our problem. This in large part comes from the fact that rather than players like Baggio, Del Piero, Totti, Vieri, etc., we are fielding Balotelli and Belotti.

On a brighter note, I have more faith in Mancini figuring this out than Ventura and I didn't think we were all that bad over the three friendlies. Our goal needs to be to get back to respectability. We can do that.

Calcio Pauly and calabrese8 repped this.
  10. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Agree 100%. We really were not bad at all.

11. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    you are definitely IAF

gumbacicc and calabrese8 repped this.
  12. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    What makes you think this? Just because we are both Juve fans?

13. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    In the future though, I would like to see how our team does with this lineup:

-Chiesa-Immobile-Bernardeschi-
    -De Sciglio-Marchisio-Verratti-Florenzi-
    -Chiellini-Bonucci-Caldara-
    -Perin-
    Subs: Donnarumma, Romagnoli, Rugani, Jorginho, Benassi, Cristante, Zappacosta, Insigne, Belotti, Cutrone

Perin, Caldara, and Chiesa have proven they are the right youngsters for the key roles in this project. Chiellini, Bonucci, and Marchisio are experienced and are devastating when they are at their best. Florenzi works really hard and is starting to get back to his old form and look pretty solid.

Insigne is a good player but lacks tactical flexibility as it really showed in many games. I feel Bernardeschi is good at cutting in and those assists and long shots and is our future.

Many of you criticize Immobile, but really he literally has been our best striker since the Toni/Gilardino days. He works his ass off, and has converted most of the chances he has. Even under Ventura, he was one of our better players and was the top scorer in our group for World Cup qualifying even above any Spain player. He has also had great consecutive seasons since joining Lazio and is in form. Yes he is not world class, but there are not many world class number 9 strikers these days. Suarez, Lewandowski, Mandzukic, Gabriel Jesus, and Aguero are the best ones I have seen. Even Higuain I cannot call world class due to the chances he always chokes.

The only questionable player I see here is De Sciglio, but since he is at Juventus and gets a lot of coverage from Chiellini and the defenders, he should be alright in a 3-4-3 formation. This gives us 4 midfielders, and the two wide players can track back and forward depending on where the rest of the team is. All of these players are also tactically flexible.

I really want to like Jorginho and Insigne, but I honestly think that Napoli has made them look a lot better than they really are, and how they often fail to adapt to different tactics is worrisome. I've seen it myself.

14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I give you the benefit of the doubt because you said you are not Croatian, not that there is anything wrong with being Croatian, and IAF was.

15. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chiesa can track back. He has a great work rate. The problem that I have with Berna and Chiesa tracking back is that that you are effectively tiring out our 2 most creative and dynamic players. I would be ok with it if we had somebody further up the pitch or in the center who has the ability to create at a high level, but unfortunately nobody has stepped up. That is why I am in favour of playing a 4-4-2 with berna acting as a 2nd strike and focal creator behind Balo or Belotti or Cutrone.

16. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Immobile converts most of the chances he has? ill get my popcorn ready for this explanation

17. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    He was the top scorer in our World Cup qualification group.

His goal vs Israel in the opening game was a good one. He saved us against Macedonia when we were down 2-1. Those goals were not the easiest chances. The third one especially was a great header from the side. His goal vs Albania was also great. Hard to score. Broke the deadlock against Israel too.

Yeah he is not world class, but he works hard and often does convert chances. He has converted most 1 on 1's with the goalkeeper, something I have seen many of our other strikers miss regularly in the last 3 friendlies.

18. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Not bad, I like this better:
    Insigne-Balotelli-Chiesa
    De Sciglio-Marchisio-Verratti-Florenzi
    Chiellini-Bonucci-Caldara-
    -Perin-​

gumbacicc repped this.
  19. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    The thing with Insigne is that he really is not tactically flexible. He has some great qualities, but really Napoli makes him look better than he really is. Insigne is good with teams that pass all around (tiki taka) and like to go out attack, which is clearly something our national team does not do. We will see how he does at Napoli when Carlo takes over, but I highly doubt that he will standout nearly as much with Ancelotti's tactics. Bernardeschi is a player with a lot more strength both physically and mentally and is much better at adapting to different tactical plans. He would really suit our national team much better considering the way Mancini employs his tactics.

Balotelli, we need to see more of, but I really think Immobile is more reliable. Mario has definitely improved from before, but I still see him a little lazy and just walking around, while Immobile runs and tries to win every ball. Mario will always have an advantage with his height, so he should be on the team, but he is not a starting player if you ask me. He screwed up a lot of chances against France.

20. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    how did you know IAF liked Juve when no one told you ?

21. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    It said under his avatar. Do you seriously not know? Under the name it says the date joined and the club the member supports.

22. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    you talk like IAF too. I honestly think you are him. if not what's your story? introduce yourself to the boys and girls

23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I sent you a private message.

24. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    shhhh don't spoil the worst kept secret around

Rosay repped this.
  25. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's all good IAF, just don't go trolling the other boards and you won't get another red card.