Italy's Euro 2008 Qualifying Group [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Jan 26, 2006.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Although the Euro is an important tournament, Italy rarely does well in this Cup...they made 4th place when they hosted it in 1980 then missed in 84 after they had won the world cup 2 years earlier. They did ok in 88 then made WC 90 3rd place & missed the Euro again in 92. Then they made the WC final in 94 and sucked again in Euro 1996...They made the Euro final in 2000 but then lost to France then they sucked again in EURO 2004 while winning the WC 2 years later in 06.

Therefore, if you look at the pattern its almost like they care more about the WC and not the Euros or at least they need the 4 years to recuperate between the Cups. I for one won't be all that disappointed if Italy doesn't make this tournament. This is not because I don't want them qualify and not see them do well because I really do but I'd think they need the time to rebuild for WC 2010. Let's face it, I doubt Cannavaro, Matrix and many others will still be on the team in 2010.....We need to find new young blood and rebuild! WCQ starts next September.

2. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thought people might like to see this report from The Guardian today. Domenech has already started his whining and taking a swipe at Italia. B*tch.

3. L.Vorenus

L.Vorenus New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    NJ, USA
    This guy never ceases to amaze me. Still, he's good for 1) a laugh, and 2) giving the Azzurri some added motivation.

4. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Looks like Gila has started to get his form back...................

5. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    For Milan against a poor Shaktar, but not Italy.

6. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

I don't think that's very fair. The only time we've seen him play for the Azzurri in like the last 6 months was in that friendly against South Africa, and he actually performed very well once he came on in the second half almost scoring twice and creating some decent chances.

I've always been confident in Gila as a player and the prospect of him braking out of this funk that he's been in over the past year. A player of that talent doesn't just stop playing well. With his last few performances with Milan you can easily see the rise in his confidence and I think it will only continue to build as the season progresses. I have no doubts that he will eventually reclaim his place on the Azzurri as a regular.

7. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :eek:, i have huge doubts still. he did this last year where he had like 6 goals in 6 or something like that and then he went back to slumping, so i am still holding out my praise, thugh i have left him on my fantasy team, so that counts for something. :p

8. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    as does the name of afore mentioned fantasy team.. :p

9. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :confused:

10. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    'avirginscoresmorethangila'

11. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    lol, oh that one, i forgot you were in that one, i thought you were talking about another one, i'm an idiot. :eek: :D

12. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
  13. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well if Vieri was in form or even not injured he would probably have got the call to be on the final 23 man roster for WC 2006. I think he would have gone before before Pippo and maybe even before Gila or Iaquinta as he was always Lippi's top choice and main man. If he finds his form he is deadly!
    [​IMG]

15. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Gila always played well for Lippi, but I think if Bobo was fit he would have gone ahead of Pippo or Laquinta @ the WC

But Don' bud Luccerlli probably will be ahead of Bobo

[​IMG]

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    FIXED SPELLING!

Lucarelli has a little advantage because he was Donadoni's man at Livorno but maybe his playing in Russia might hinder his chances. Then again he did scoree recently against South Africa when the CT picked a "B" team, so who knows?

I feel a little sorry for Super Pippo as it looks like his time has passed although I think he is the leading scorer with 3 goals during the Euro Qualifying run. Unless he starts showing something with Milan, I think his azzurri days may be over.

17. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Bobo was healthy I think Inzaghi would have been watching the World Cup from the stands. Lippi always said how he admired Iaquinta's versatility. But then again you never know.

One thing is for sure though, if Aimo Diana was healthy Simone Barone would have been at home watching the World Cup.

18. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I don't at all! Lets face it, in spite of sub-par form with Milan last season (3 goals all season I believe?) he has still been a frequent call up by DOnadoni for over a year! On top of that, he has been quite disappointing in every single match other than that 2 goal performance against the Faroe Islands last summer! Inzaghi got MORE than his fair share of opportunities under DOn, and at 34 years old, I'm afriad it is definitely time to start giving some younger, more in-form players the opportunity to shine.

But as far as it stands, it looks as though Lucarelli may have cemented his place on the NT as Toni's back up at center forward. His history with Don does play a huge part, but that brace against South Africe only helped his cause even more.

As for Vieri, as much as I love the guy and what he has given to the NT in the past, I am still very skeptical with the idea of bringing back a 34 year old center forward that had spent over a year on the injury list. Granted, he worked hard during the summer and has displayed fine form with Fiorentina, but in my opinion dropping ADP and Inzaghi and bringing in Lucarelli and Vieri instead isn't all the much of a step forward for the National Team. Then again, at this point we don't have a wealth of options to back up Toni at center forward. Hopefully Boriello can keep up his strong form though.

19. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

Considering that Inzaghi was on a roll with Milan that season, scoring goals in the double digits primarily as a SUB, while Vieri only managed a handful of goals with both Monaco and Milan, it can be highly disputed as to whether or not Lippi would've given him the nod over a then in-form Inzghi. But of course, we all know full well how much Lippi adored Vieri, so his chances would've been very strong indeed.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with you about 34 year old center forwards starting at the national team level. Its just that you wonder why father time has to step in the span of maybe only 1-2 years and all of a sudden these stars seem to be washed up? You see players like Brian McBride having no business to start in the World Cup at 34 years of age but then they perform well and continue to score at the club level. Club and Euo league play is a much better and higher level than the World Cup teams are at.

Italy is a little different that the EPL. In the end only 23 players get picked with 3 GK's usually 8 midfielder's & defenders and unfortunately, you can only bring 4 forwards. You have Toni, Iaquinta, Totti, DelPiero, Lucarelli,Gilardino,Di Natale,Quagliarella or Rocchi? I mean who do you take??? Let's face it even though Del Piero ,Totti & Inzaghi are washed up in November, I doubt we've seen the last of them at Coverciano.

21. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy can't keep calling up players in there mid thirties, at some point you have to but your foot down and say no, Inzaghi and Vieri as much as I like them dont belong on this team.

22. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    totti's washed up?

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No way! If there is any player in the world who can write his own ticket and walk onto a national team whenever he wants, its Francesco Totti!

24. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

are you schizophrenic? :p