Italy v Germany v England in UEFA Coefficient Rankings(R)

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Deleted User x, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Milan-Arsenal might be the best tie we have seen in a Europa League for so long. Both really want UCL, and are too far down to really get a UCL place in their leagues. They are pretty much the 2 second favorites to win after Atletico. Game will be very interesting and a tough battle.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #302 EvanJ, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    The Europa League qualifying rounds provide a sample of 134 aggregates. Surprisingly, none of the first legs were 2-2. There were 12 first legs that were 2-1 home wins, and those winners had 5 aggregate wins in regulation, 1 extra time win, 1 away goals loss, 2 extra time losses, and 3 aggregate losses. Half of the clubs advanced each way.

I don't like Lazio, but they're 8 points ahead of Milan in Serie A. They could make the UCL from Serie A, but it's not guaranteed. Why do you think Milan is more likely to win the EL than Lazio?

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just feel like AC Milan is in better form at the moment, but Lazio do have a big chance.

At the start of the season, I would have said Lazio is much better, but now I feel AC Milan is really in very good form and Lazio not so much. Milan beat Lazio 2-1 not too long ago. Milan also arguably has a better team on paper. I worry a little about Lazio's defense and midfield. I believe Milan is stronger in those positions.

Also Milan has a great history in European Competitions, Lazio does not. And Lazio still has those days where you cannot always trust them. Don't get me wrong, they are better than they ever have been in the past, and don't have many of those days, but they do have moments where they can get embarrassed by a shit team.

Look at these for example:

FCSB 1-0 Lazio
    Lazio 0-3 Sparta Prague (2015-16)

If they slip up against bigger teams, it could cost them.

4. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Lazio are stronger than Milan.

And the Milan-Arsenal tie could get ugly.

@Italy-Azzurri-Fan With the CL and EL you get to experience what it's like to be a Roma fan. Imagine if you were a fan of them domestically. They are just depressing.

5. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    big crowds too

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really disagree that Lazio are stronger than Milan at the moment. Milan are now seriously getting better and are in better form than Lazio. Of Course that could change over the next few months, but right now I think Milan have a more solid defense and midfield. For Goodness Sake Milan just beat Lazio a month ago, and they will play again in Coppa Italia.

And yes I understand how Roma fans feel. Roma has always been depressing when they slip up against small teams. Gosh I cannot imagine being a Roma fan domestically. I am already worried a bit regarding Shakhtar and while I know they have the quality to turn the tie around, the fact is will we actually see Roma at their best when it matters?

Milan-Arsenal could get ugly yes, but could go either way. Actually very often when you see two big teams face each other, one of them smashes the other. Like in the UCL:

Barcelona 5-3 Bayern (on aggregate)
    Bayern 7-0 Barcelona (agg)
    Real Madrid 5-0 Bayern (agg)
    Juventus 3-0 Barcelona (agg)
    Real Madrid 4-1 Juventus (UCL Final)

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unlike last season, there are alot of good teams in the final 16 of the EL. So to suggest that winner of Milan v Arsenal will take the competition is premature. One round at a time.

I recall people saying the same about the Liverpool v Man United round of 16 tie two years ago and that didn't turn out too well for the team that advanced.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    PSG scoring 3 against Madrid at home isn't exactly beyond the realm of possibilities. Have you seen Madrid try to defend lately?

Madrid are favorites, but PSG do have an away goal which means they can afford to concede an away goal and still have a chance.

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not saying that whoever wins Milan vs Arsenal will win it. I just said whoever wins could be second favorites. I still think Atletico is by far the strongest team in the competition and could win it.

Regarding 2015-16 I expected Dortmund, Villarreal, or Sevilla to win it after Napoli got knocked out.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have a hard time seeing Milan going deep in the Europa League. They're trailing midfield in SerieA. They team with 25 points more than Milan was kicked out off the competition thus round.. it's not impossible but Milan for sure are no contenders.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Napoli would have still been in here if they really were serious. First leg they were not serious at all.

12. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Milan looked awesome today versus Roma. Could have been more than 2-0.

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I really think they are stronger than Lazio at the moment, or in better form at least.

14. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    #314 soccerr9, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Milan also are on a brutal run in terms of their schedule. We will see how they perform directly vs Lazio in the 2nd leg of the Copa Italia.

@ Roma (2-0 W)
    @ Lazio (Copa)
    vs Inter Milan
    vs Arsenal
    @ Genoa
    @ Arsenal

Serie A teams are entering a huge period in terms of the league standings, domestic cups, and Europe at the same time.

Juve vs Atlanta (Copa 2nd leg)
    Lazio vs Milan (Copa 2nd leg)
    Lazio vs Juve
    Napoli vs Roma
    Milan vs Inter
    Juve @ Spurs
    Milan vs Arsenal
    Lazio vs Dynamo
    Roma vs Shakhtar
    Milan @ Arsenal
    Lazio @ Dynamo
    Inter vs Napoli

That's about twelve crucial matches within the next two weeks. The only team that isn't all that affected is Napoli. Napoli did the smart thing by not getting involved in the CL, EL, or Copa Italia anymore than they had to. They don't have enough quality outside of their starting eleven to challenge in multiple competitions. They have the easiest schedule and fewest matches for the rest of the way.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Genoa and it would be good for them if Milan rested players in between their games against Arsenal.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I suspect Milan will advance against Lazio, win the Milan derby and beat Arsenal. Seems like a brutal fixture list, but its a good time to play both Arsenal and Inter (they suck atm).

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Arsenal is like the Roma of England. You can never trust them 100%. Luckily they were already 3-0 up to Ostersund, but they lost to Ostersund at home 2-1. That is more proof that you can never trust Arsenal. I expect Milan to beat them.

18. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Should Milan beat Inter, they would be back in the CL race. That means the Genoa match is a must win.

The league is intense this year. Napoli and Juve must win every match. Lazio, Inter, Roma, Milan probably all do to. Cleary they all can't so something needs to give in these next two weeks.

Imagine Milan making up so many points only to drop a few to Genoa.

19. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Juve were atrocious vs Atalanta at home with Dybala, Higuaín, Bernadeschi, and Cuadrado all out. Dybala was given a few minutes toward the end when the game was essentially over. It would be shocking to see him start in CL as he has played around 30 minutes or so since rejoining the group. Who knows what Higuaín's fitness will be by then.

Between the injuries and bad form, Spurs have it all to lose against a Juve that seem to be holding on. Heck Alex Sandro has been deployed as a makeshift left wing of late.

Even before Spurs, Juve will travel to Rome to confront Lazio. I doubt this version of Juve can overcome so many issues and win on the road back to back vs Lazio and Spurs.

20. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    got to hand it to juve they got the job done not sure they deserved it tho, spurs had the game and got sloppy

21. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Wow.

What a second half for Juve.

calabrese8 and LorneMarvello repped this.
  22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well maybe not the prettiest game, but we got the job done in the end!!!!

23. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    The game changed when Asamoah and Lichsteiner came on. Good job by Allegri.

calabrese8 repped this.
  24. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    3 mins more like

25. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014