Italy v England for 3rd place in UEFA coefficient rankings [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by BocaFan, Sep 17, 2015.

1. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Watch Barca beat Madrid. After watching both Juve games twice, they weren't nearly as bad as people presume they were. Juve are just a better overall side right now.

Barca did lose away to Malaga heading into Juve. That was largely because they rested Iniesta and Pique. Before that they destroyed PSG and Sevilla.

Deleted User x repped this.
  2. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    Ya @BocaFan they beat PSG 6-1 going into the leg ... I think it's safe to say they weren't playing like dog shit.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1328 EvanJ, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    They could make the Champions League Quarterfinals, but I wouldn't say they "regularly" make the Champions League Quarterfinals.

Anderlecht is first in Belgium. A club that's good enough to beat Anderlecht should be able to beat Celta Vigo, who is tenth with a negative goal differential in La Liga. What's the worst league position for a Champions League, Europa League, or UEFA Cup winner?

The last season in which France was first or second was in 2003-2004 when France was second to Spain. That was the previous time AS Monaco reached the Champions League Semifinals (they lost the Final to Porto).

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They also lost to Depor and couldn't get the better of Valencia at home until Valencia went down to 10 men.

They beat PSG 6-1 and the only nice team goal in that game was the one scored by PSG. There were moments of individual brilliance from Neymar and Iniesta, but overall Barca didn't play that well, including Messi. Anyway, its a moot point in the discussion about how Barca were playing before the Juve match since it was weeks earlier (and guess why they had to win by 5 goals in the first place?)

5. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Look I understand your point of view, but too many have come out after Wednesday to suggest that Barca are utter shit. They have 72 points and are 2nd in Spain for a reason.

In the matches after Paris and before Turin, Barca were 8-2 (winning @ Atleti, PSG, and Sevilla). Barca had not dropped a point at home since December 3rd vs Real.

Are they the Barca from 2015? No. Are they still the second best team in Spain and a top 6 side in Europe? Yes.

Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    My point was more about their current form (thought that was clear). And no-way is that top 6 in Europe. Looking at their season overall, yes, they are top 6 in Europe.

7. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    What do you consider current form?

8. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I was talking about their current form as well. At best it's inconsistent. They are 9-1-3 since mid/late February in all comps. It's not the best but hardly crap.

9. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Make that 10-1-3 in all comps since mid/late February with wins away to Atleti and Real to go with home victories against Sevilla and PSG.

The narrative that Barca are shit all of the sudden was way way overstated. They are very very much a top 5 European side still.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, nobody said or suggested that they were shit.

You keep calculating their record as if that helps your argument. Three recent losses does not really help your case that Barca are in great form, especially considering how bad those losses were. They were all well-deserved losses, while many of their wins were unimpressive to say the least.

11. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    You don't just beat Sevilla, PSG, Atletico and Real by luck... Your argument makes no sense, they were killed to PSG in France and then resurrected and destroyed PSG in Spain. They went and got away wins to Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid. They are not only a top 6 side, but most definitely still within the top 4 in the world.

You just keep mentioning losing 4-0 to PSG but given all the other games mentioned clearly that result was just lucky.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I thought it was a commonly accepted opinion that PSG choked more than anything else. In any case, Monaco is better than PSG (league table doesn't lie).

13. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    I don't agree with the League Table doesn't lie thing though, Tottenham is ahead of Man City:whistling:

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Monaco and PSG are level on points, OMG. They are probably around the same honestly. Before I judge who is better, I must see how Monaco performs against us in the semifinals. Then I will judge who is superior PSG or Monaco. So far I'd give a slight edge to PSG, but that might change. I also have to look at the head to head ties especially in the Coup de Ligue final.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Neither of them are that good really. Chelsea is by far the best EPL team. Honestly Man City has been so inconsistent this season. I'd overall say Man City's best is superior to Spurs' best, but on average Spurs is more consistent. They as well are probably quite on the same level.

In the EPL Chelsea is the best. Then you have Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, and Arsenal arguably all on the same level really. I mean maybe Man City is second best, with Arsenal, Man Utd, and Liverpool on par as third, and Spurs fourth. Spurs has just been more consistent which is why they are above. I honestly don't know 100% if you want my honest opinion.

Just like Napoli vs Roma. Those two teams are probably also very similar and on the same level. I honestly don't know who is better, and are very likely pretty comparable. I might give the slight edge to Napoli due to being more reliable and better performance in European Competition however.

16. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    The original point was evaluating Barca's recent form (since PSG). To inform us on that, we need to look at their most recent matches right? A 10-1-3 record in their last 14 minutes is actually pretty good. Their recent key losses were @ Juve, @ Malaga, and @ Deportivo. Even if you want to totally discount the PSG result as a total fluke, their key recent wins are @ Atleti, Sevilla, and @ Real plus a tie vs Juve. They just impressively ran the table vs the other top four Spanish sides, two of which are playing each other in the CL. They are tied on top of La Liga (Real has a game in hand but Barca has the tie breaker). Had they not been perfect vs Sevilla, Atleti, and Real, their season would over.

They are inconsistent and lack depth. I'm not sure what more there is to say about this.

17. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Monaco and PSG are tied on points. In their three meetings this year, they are 1-1-1 (PSG recently beat them 4-1 in one of the French Cups. They look to be about equal as they are both top sides especially on their best days.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    By far? No. League table shows them to be no more better than Spurs than Monaco is relative to PSG. Add to that, Chelsea didn't have to deal with European competition this season so they've been able to stay rested.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not by that far, but I do see them as quite a bit superior to the rest. Its not just the league, but also how they play. First of all Chelsea are the only team that can actually defend. Well Spurs and United aren't too bad but still make silly mistakes. They also have some promising players on the bench which is something the rest of the clubs lack. I know they didn't have to deal with European Competition, but I honestly believe that they are really the best regardless.

Have you seen the way Man City, Man Utd, and Arsenal play? They have been quite lucky not to drop points in a few games actually.

20. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    luck has got a lot to do with it
    https://streamable.com/4d6fc

21. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    That's not a penalty ... He dove, should be a yellow card for diving actually. He was fine, looks up sees Pique is going to get to the ball and drops like a sack of shit.

calabrese8 and BocaFan repped this.
  22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    oh really Mr Pinto

23. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    Your Portuguese bias is showing

24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yes i am Portuguese Mr Pinto
    and it was a 100% pen

25. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    I'm so sorry for that.

Also,
    I don't understand this Mr. Pinto thing you keep saying.. Is that your name is or something?