Italy v England for 3rd place in UEFA coefficient rankings [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by BocaFan, Sep 17, 2015.

1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    With today's tonking of Roma by Lyon, Italy's coefficient average for this season drops behind France's: France 12.083, Italy 11.916 (and England 12.500).

BocaFan repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, I can. Of course they can come-back. I'm just saying they're not favorites. Neither was Barca when they were 4-nil down. In fact I checked the betting odds and they were about 29/1 to win the CL before yesterday.

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah thats true, but you kind of have to use your head a bit and don't always rely on those odds. To be honest I would honestly be surprised if Roma don't go through. They are really strong at home and can be extremely tough to beat when they are at their best. Beating Lyon by 2 goals is not hard, and Roma's defense is rock solid when at their best. Also Rudiger will be back. I am not saying Lyon are out for sure as they did really well this game to take a good lead, but its going to be a long night. I am not sure if Lyon is ready to handle the huge pressure at the Roma stadium.

I'd say the tie is really 50/50 at this point as it could really go either way. Before today's game I tipped Roma at 75%.

4. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Hopefully Roma can have the refs on their side as Barca did.

5. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Remember what I said @Italy-Azzurri-Fan. Never, under any circumstances, put your faith in Roma. They never meet expectations and rarely go out fighting. Last 2 series they played vs Madrid are the exceptions.

6. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    sweet

7. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yes but then you have to take into account your Italian Bias modifier lol

Afghan-Juventus and P to the Wee repped this.
  8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You might be right honestly. I am afraid Juventus, AC Milan, and Inter are the only serious European teams. Well Napoli maybe sort of.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks for reporting.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Italy are also in danger of being surpassed by Belgium. If Anderlecht win next week, the country's coefficient will be up to 12.100 and they would still have 2 teams left in Europe. :geek:

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When 2017-2018 starts, England will have more points drop out from 2012-2013 than Italy will. For the three complete and one partial season starting in 2013-2014, England leads Italy by 0.524. By the end of 2016-2017, Italy could get close enough to lead when 2017-2018 starts.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In the longer-term though it won't even be close, much less matter. As soon as that one-off performance in 2014-15 for Italy drops out of the five year window they'll struggle to stay ahead of France at the current rate.

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A lot of it depends on how far Juventus and Roma go.

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think so. Milan and Inter are on the rise, and once they get back we will be competing at a much higher level. Inter have loads of money now and AC Milan are seriously investing in the youth players.

Deleted User x repped this.
  15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let me just tell you all that last season was a disaster for Italy. The season before we did overachieve but not a lot. This season will likely be somewhere in the middle. Depending on who makes the Europa League next season, I am not sure what to say, but if the two Milan teams make it Italy is in for a good year.

16. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Last season was in line with what Italy achieved in the last 6-7 years. I even said in 2015 that Italy -their best ever - won't overtake England sooner than 2020 (still isn't going to happen)
    So be glad UEFA changed the rules because in this configuration Italy was never going to take 3rd back. Now they have a slightly better chance with guaranteed 4 spots

BocaFan repped this.
  17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah but common it all depends on the draws really. The draw plays a huge part in these coefficients.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    In a particular season, maybe, but over time the "luck of the draw" tends to even out. Given UEFA coefficients are determined over a five season span, draws will have a minimal impact. And let's be realistic here, Italy has only had one exceptional season in the last decade.

19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah thats what I meant in a particular season. I guess they even out. But honestly last season specifically the draws were really harsh on Italy.

Roma vs Real
    Juve vs Bayern

Their groups were quite hard as well.

In the Europa League, Fiorentina vs Spurs, and Napoli vs Villarreal. Villarreal was having an amazing season.

This season the draws are more average for Serie A sides. Napoli got it tough but we got it easy. Napoli had a favorable group, and frankly ours was kind of on the easy side although Sevilla are a world class team and Lyon can be tough on their day. In the Europa League the draws were rough towards Roma and Fiorentina. Roma survived round of 16 and we'll see on thursday if they will get through vs Lyon. Monchengladbach was definitely a tough draw for Fiorentina though.

20. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Struggle to stay ahead of France!!! Ahahahahaha. Italy has 70.998 pts. France has 54.332. It's more likely Argentina win a major tournament than France overtaking the Serie A any time soon.

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  21. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ya the Serie A struggling to stay above Ligue 1 was ridiculous but at the current rate no way will the Serie A take over the Prem.

Ultimately I think the top 15 teams in Europe looks like this (more or less)
    1. Bayern
    2. Real Madrid
    3. Barcelona
    4. Juventus
    5. Chelsea
    6. Atletico Madrid
    7. PSG
    8. Dortmund
    9. Man City
    10. Man United
    11. Napoli
    12. Arsenal
    13. Roma
    14. Monaco
    15. Sevilla

But in terms of quality it's more like the top 5 are elite teams with world class players everywhere (Bayern, Real, Barca, Juventus and Chelsea), followed by 6-8th (Atletico, PSG and Dortmund) who are just ahead of the rest and then I'm confident any team from 9th-15th would be a very balanced affair where the team ranked higher would probably have a bit of an edge.

CLEARLY it's pretty even ( 4 La Liga teams, 2 Bundesliga, 3 Serie A, 4 Prem teams, 2 Ligue 1 teams)

In time Italy will definitely become the top 3 leagues again but I feel we will catch the Bundesliga before the Premier League.

P to the Wee repped this.
  22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spot on, but I would switch Chelsea and Atletico Madrid at least for now. Also definitely switch Arsenal and Sevilla. Maybe even put Sevilla above Napoli and Man Utd.

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Manchester United fan, but I acknowledge that Sevilla being third in La Liga is more impressive than Manchester United being sixth in the Premier League, and they were fifth last season.

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah Sevilla are a really serious team. I am not sure if thats going to far or not but they might even be over Atletico or Dortmund as well.

I'd say Sevilla and Dortmund are comparable.

As of now, I would rate them like this:

1. Bayern Munich / Barcelona / Real Madrid
    2. Juventus
    3. Atletico Madrid
    4. PSG / Dortmund / Chelsea
    5. Sevilla
    6. Man City
    7. Napoli / Roma
    8. Monaco / Man Utd / Arsenal / Lyon
    9. Monchengladbach / Villarreal / AC Milan
    10. Tottenham Hotspur / Zenit / Benfica / Inter Milan / Schalke 04 / Leverkusen
    11. Porto / Dynamo Kyiv / Fiorentina

25. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol I would give liverpool a more then 50% chance then anyone 9 and down lol at you.