Italy 2006 vs. Italy 2012. Who's better?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Jun 29, 2012.

1. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wonder how you think these two squads compare.

2006 team was very workman like. Stronger defensivley and a little more stingy. The goals came from many players. It took a real team effort to win the tournament. The midifeld partnership of Gattuso and Pirlo were in the prime of their lives. Cannavaro and Zambrotta were fantastic and Grosso came out of nowhere to be the top LB of the tournament.

2012 Italy on paper, not as good as the defence in 2006 but are performing well so far. This is the best i've ever seen Bonucci and Barzagli play. There is more control and better passing in the midfield. There is more versatility in this Italy than Lippi's team. I would even say this is attack is much more dangerous. The 2006 Italy had Toni, but he played no where near the bomber he was in Firenze. Balo by contrast is ice cold.

What do you think?

2. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2012 style is better. Talent on 2006 was incredible.

jerrito repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    More goals in 2006.......
    2-0 vs. Ghana
    1-1 vs, USA
    2-0 vs. Czech
    1-0 vs Australia
    3-0 vs. Ukraine
    2-0 vs. Germany
    1-1 vs France

4. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    bang on.

5. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    both 2006 & 2012 team would have destroyed every team if they had saint miccoli ;)

Scorp redded and elvesuvio repped this.
  6. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Ask me on Sunday. The 2006 team had to go through Ukraine (nothing compared to England), a German side that was not nearly as good as this years, and a French side that is not as good as Spain is right now.

This squad has a much tougher road to the Cup. If they win Sunday, I think there is a pretty good argument that this side was the better overall side (as a team). That side still had more individual talent.

totti fan repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It has nothing to do with the thread and he isn't on the national team but what I want to know is why all the Miccoli bashing? I mean he is older now and I agree he shouldn't have been considered for national team duty but I think he is/was a great player and am just sorry Luciano Moggi kicked him out at Juve. In my opinion, he had a wonderful career for a little guy and was overlooked to play for important clubs as he deserved so much more. I suggest we move on.....

elvesuvio repped this.
  8. Italy08

Italy08 Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pirlo 2012 > Pirlo 2006

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was pretty good then too....

10. Italy08

Italy08 Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Offense: Baloteil and Cassano (2012) and are better than Toni and Gilardino
    Midfield: Tie. I still think players like Nocerino and Marchisio have more to offer.

Defense: 2006 was a lot better. 2012 defense is very organized
    Goalie: Buffon 2006 is better than Buffon 2012. He still made a lot of incredible saves in 2012.

11. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    It has nothing to do with Miccoli himself AFAIK, people are just trolling a specific troll member (forgot his name) who kept on praising Miccoli like he's the best player ever lived lol.

el napulitan and elvesuvio repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course Miccoli is a great player and there is no questioning his ability. If we keep feeding this supposed "troll" (whomever he may be) however, we really aren't going anywhere and/or accomplishing anything other than starting arguments. I mean it doesn't really matter to me either way and I guess anyone is free to express or post whatever they want but I think we should all just celebrate Italy's semifinal victory and talk about the final on Sunday instead of talking about a player who isn't and hasn't been on the national team in 8 years. He wasn't even there in 2006 so why continue with this topic?

13. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    On Paper: 2006 by far

On the pitch: 2012. Simply MIND BLOWING.

sempreITALIA repped this.
  14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Why are people still talking about Miccoli???? THis guy's name has been mentioned more on this forum than any other player, and he's not even on the god damn team!!!!

elvesuvio and falvo repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You said it! If we have to compare and contrast who is better in 2012 than Fabio Cannavaro was in 2006?

16. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tough call....better playing style now, more possession and better passing but the talent of 2006 was something else. Their defense was certainly better than now. Although 2012 has managed to concede not many goals, but there have been many scary moments and some times luck involved in not getting scored on.

17. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2006 pretty easily for me, at least on paper. The squad was not only more talented individually, but it was more adaptable with a better defense. People forget that the only goals scored against us were a fluke own goal, and a penalty converted after a dive.

Toni really was unlucky and should have had a couple more goals. How many times did he hit the post, or the crossbar that tournament?

18. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Talent-wise I think Pirlo 2012, Marchisio, De Rossi, and Montolivo are better than Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso, and Perrotta. It's close though. This midfield seems to control the ball and possession much better. The other team though was a little more timely in their goals.

I still think you have to look at the competition...England, Germany, Spain. That's a rough road.

19. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First choice strikers were Totti-Toni, not Toni-Gilardino. Totti-Toni or Balotelli-Cassano?

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe its a sentimental thing with me but the WC Totti-Toni combination of 2006 was a lot better than the Euro Balotelli-Cassano duo. Just my preference but also because IMHO, a World Cup is a lot more important and means so much more than a European Cup......

21. Italy08

Italy08 Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Toni had a disappointing Euro 2008. He just scored 2 easy goals in 2006. I am a fan of Toni. Totti is a different story. He played well in Euro 2000 and World Cup 2006.

I am so excited about Balotelli. He was under so much pressure. I am glad player like Buffon, Pirlo, Cassano gave Balotelli all the support to be a world class player

22. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This question is a bit like asking which is better...

A.) Spaghetti Con le vongole.
    B.) Alici Indorate e Fritte.

The answer clearly, is yes.:sneaky:

Daei_10_Iran and falvo repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Buono.....too bad they don't know how to cook it out here on the west coast.

Pero, si ci spera sempre vero Gennnnnnnnnaaaaa? ;)

Rossonero23 and jerrito repped this.
  24. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spaghetti con gamberi (grandi) salsa di pomodoro :) quando sono andato a casa in aprile o mangiato le lumache con il sugo rosso :eek:

[​IMG]

Sorry for completely hijacking the thread, oh and my vote goes to the 2006 team!

jerrito repped this.
  25. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Off the top of my head:

Buffon 2006 > Buffon 2012
    Zambrotta > Abate/Maggio
    Materazzi > Bonucci
    Cannavaro > Barzagli/Chielleni
    Grosso > Balzeretti/Giaccherini
    Gattuso > De Rossi , as much as I love De Rossi, Gattuso was in beast mode, literally
    Pirlo 2006 < Pirlo 2012 He was amazing back then too, he just didn't stand out that much since he was surrounded by other world class players.
    Perrotta < Marchisio
    Camoranesi > Motta
    Totti > Cassano
    Toni = Balotelli

With that said, both teams are awesome, the 2012 team is doing SO WELL because they're so united and doing an excellent job as a TEAM.

St. Michael's Sword and elvesuvio repped this.