Italia vs Norway. Sept. 9 ECQ (R)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Deleted User x, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Can't say I'd have a problem with Jackareenie as a sub to inject some energy into the game, or help minimize risk when necessary. I don't think he's a starter when Marchisio is healthy, but every team needs players who work hard and cover space. He's not useless.

jerrito repped this.
  2. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I love how Giaccherini has this reputation as a hard worker and energy guy. It's as if players like Verratti, Baselli, Florenzi, Jorginho, etc are not as 'hard working' or active as him.

Bottom line is that he is taking up a valuable roster space from guys who are not only hard working but also quite talented on the ball and off.

Let's go back to the Verratti discussion - why is his reputation that of a slow, static player when he is a better (read: aggressive) defender than Giaccherini?

Can someone here tell me what Giaccherini brings to the table besides the cliche and fallacy riden notion that he is a 'hard worker'?

Sure, every team needs those hustle, gritty players but players such as Verratti and Florenzi and Marchisio (and Baselli and Poli if we need to stretch things further) bring those qualities as well.

Why does Giaccherini deserve their spot?

gumbacicc repped this.
  3. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I didn't say he deserved anything, just what I thought he did effectively.

4. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wasn't referring to you. Just generally speaking to those who insist he deserves a spot on the side.

Though you did mention how he is a hard worker and 'every team needs a player like him on their team'.... Soooo... haha

5. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice edit there Pauly ;)

Id love to see everyone's top 8 central midfielders. Get idea of how people are ranking players at that position:

Pirlo
    DDR
    Marchisio
    Verratti
    Jorginho
    Florenzi
    Baselli
    Poli

6. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    giac is a hard worker because its easier to pull that out of your as than it is a rabbit, its not good when someone pairs your name alongside hardwork,

Q; what was maradona like as a player

A; he was a hard worker

not what you want to spring to mind is it? especially when its not your mediano you're talking about

7. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly...

No one here can say exactly what Giaccherini does well...

Sooo...it must be his incredible work ethic!

8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Why the wink? Are you suggesting I added something after the fact to be sneaky? All it was, was how I thought he was effective...no big sneaky secret there kiddo.

What have Poli, Baselli and Jorginho done thus far? IIRC, and correct me if I'm wrong, weren't you big on Bonaventura before the World Cup? Now no more? How come? Is he not popular enough?

Haha what? You have some other private conversation going on in your mind or something? What's wrong with players that cover distance and help out defensively, are reliable for certain roles, etc?

No one said he was starter material. I don't think he'll continue to be, and I thought he only started in Marchisios absence.

And not just directed at you... But what do people have against role players? Some people here act as if everyone needs to be a finisher, or something. Do you only evaluate his performance in the attacking zone?

jerrito repped this.
  9. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who farted in your oatmeal? Settle down Old Man..

Popular enough? Since when are Poli, Baselli and Jorginho popular choices?

Bonaventura is more of a winger than a central mid. Being a Milan fan, I'd assume you do your homework a little better than that..

Again someone fart in your oatmeal while you were typing this? Tell them together ease the farts old man! Hahah...ha
    Read my post again. Nowhere did I say that.

I'd throw a pic of cheese on here but you're way too sensitive. Put down the fart filled oatmeal!

Haha....ha...haha..ha

10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You obviously spend too much time on goal.com kid. I'd advise you to just watch more. Having 11 strikers on an XI just isn't going to work, no matter how much you shout about it.

You overly sensitive national team only fans are amusing. Tell us your XI for October.

11. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Verratti is a goalscorer? Jorginho too? Strikers..? What are you going on about. .?

You're a perfect example of the ignorance of some posters on here - "Giaccherini is a hard worker, blah blah..."

Like I already stated but you either chose to ignore because of ignorance or unable to comprehend because of level of intellect, Verratti is as much of a hard worker as Giaccherini and a much better defender.

My starting 11, because I'd love to see your biased and uneducated retort:

BUFFON
    BARZAGLI BONUCCI CHIELLINI
    DDR
    DARMIAN VERRATTI MARCHISIO INSIGNE
    ZAZA BERARDI

Key subs being Florenzi, Pirlo, El Sharaway, Donati, Immobile and Murru - best 3 depending on the game.

That not enough 'hard workers' for you old man?

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ohh gee, here we go. How long before you start crying and threaten to leave the forum again?

Throwing a temper tantrum isn't a great way to convince people that your goal.com musings are relevant, you know that right?

13. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL says the guy who spent all of last night arguing with a guy posting pictures of cheese.

Great way to argue against my starting 11. Obviously you can't because there's nothing to argue. Bravo.

I left the forum because aside from @Nek Sanalet and a couple others, there isnt much intelligent conversation here unfortunately. Just a lot of name calling and bickering, as you showed last night (he made you look like a fool by the way as you were arguing with pictures of cheese).

You failed to debate properly and resorted to being an overly sensitive, condescending, immature and most likely uneducated individual. I got nothing more to add since your retort will most likely be one of immaturity.

Fun chat but unlike you, I don't feel like going back and forth on here about nonsense. You obviously had enough of that with tottifan and it looked pathetic and immature.

If you want to talk about calcio and Italia football, that would be of interest. Otherwise, have fun debating with pictures of cheese.

totti fan repped this.
  14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #264 Calcio Pauly, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    About the only thing you said that was accurate.

15. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #265 Stamos, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    LOL! You edit your responses like 4 times...all different points haha

Its ironic you're saying I'm mad when your post about me winking and 'haha's' made you get all mad. Hilarious

Anyways, I'm done here man...I feel like I'm talking to someone with the intellect of Forest Gump...it's a waste of time.

You keep supporting Giaccherini and whoever floats your boat and I'll keep supporting talent like Verratti. I prefer it that way, reassures who's actually an intelligent fan

:D

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm old remember? Sometimes it takes a while for better things to come into conscious awareness Jr. :)

How many posts ago did you say this?
    Over/Under on how many more follow, anyone? :D

17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Wouldn't it be something if you actually addressed the right person, or something I actually said? One of you national team warriors thinks I just love Verratti, the other thinks I don't. lol...

at least you two share one thing in common.

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I absolutely think Germany were defense first in the latter stages. They started playing nice football and then just tightened up in the knock outs. I remember being quite disappointed in them. I think if Italy makes the final they win it. And this 5-3-2 in my opinion is nowhere close to what Juve were playing. Berthold/Reuter and Brehme didn't have the kind of attacking roles that Lichtsteiner and Asamoah did. I was 12 in 1986 and probably didn't care about formations so I don't remember. All I remember was Maradona being king of everything. Oh and that France v Brazil game. Wow.

Calcio Pauly and jerrito repped this.
  19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Conte's comments .......

“Verratti was coming from Serie B and went to PSG for €12m. We know Verratti, but we already have De Rossi and Pirlo in that role. Daniele told me he’s available to play inside midfield, but there I see people like Marchisio, Giaccherini, Florenzi, Parolo, Poli, Montolivo or Aquilani.

“The main problem is that if you have quality and do not run, that’s not enough for me. You must also provide intensity. De Rossi, like others, has a positive rage within him.”

20. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    lol Giak....Aquilani. Maybe Conte is starting to lose it.

21. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Conte is not very high on Verratti. We already knew this based on his first two fixtures, but this totally confirms it.

Stamos repped this.
  22. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I love how he starts his little opinion by saying he went from Serie B to 12m. Really? That's how he begins it?

Hearing names like Aquilani and Giaccherini and Montolivo over Verratti is puzzling.

One of the first times so far that I've been reallly disappointed in Conte.

gumbacicc and Deleted User x repped this.
  23. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #273 Calcio Pauly, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    I'd argue that this is pretty much the case for almost all teams in knockout tournaments. I'd add that similarly to this years final, Germany were more of the protagonist vs Argentina in 90 and they attacked Holland and England more than the other way around. In both finals, Argentina were more defensive. I remember one questionable red in 90 and Argentina being dropped to 9 men and still Germany couldn't unlock their bunker, needing a dive to win. That was by far the shittiest final of any tournament that I've seen.

Anyway, point was that just because a team is playing 352 or 532 doesn't automatically = sit back and counter.

Yeah, I thought (hoped) so too.

Argentina too were no sit back and counter 352 in 86, again confirming that the formation isn't strictly sit-back and only counter attack like some seem to believe it is.

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who is saying that by the way?

25. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It was back in the Italy vs Holland thread IIRC.