Rumor: It just does not stop... - The Summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Woody was happy to buy Godin so not sure how that fits your narrative.

johno repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We've seen what happens when Jose fights with top brass. It happened at Chelsea and Madrid and we know exactly how its going to turn out. Shit is going to get toxic and very public until he's finally canned. Hopefully Woody has learned and doesn't let it get drawn out.

3. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I was referring more to the fact that he recognized that Mou’s targets, Toby excepted, are shit.

cr7torossi repped this.
  4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    @johno my guy.... fred, dalot and grant is doing his job?! your 90 mil figure fot alderweireld is wild.

i dont care for mourinho but its mind boggling to me that people are standing behind ed freaking woodward just because hes clashing with mourinho.

because you didnt get varane and bale, you stood pat? what makes you think you'll get them next summer? will it be mbappe ot nothing then (i.e. nothing)?

WE HAVE AN ACTUAL ACCOUNTANT RUNNING FOOTBALL OPERATIONS.

Kakeru repped this.
  5. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    then get toby. im hearing a lot of excuses.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1956 Ashur, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    It's hardly a surprise. Give Mourinho carte blanche in terms of targets selected and a blank check to get them, would be truly scary stuff.
    It spoke volume that with 3-4 reasonably attainable up and coming options at RW (attainable if we had made real efforts to go after), Mourinho was stuck on Perisic or Willian. I was ok with Willian for 40mil (if he refused to look young), but he probably would have paid the 70 Chelsea wanted, if it was up to him.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not getting the likes of Alderweireld or Alex Sandro, were clear mistakes. And in the case of Sandro, I'm curious as to whether his fee was really too much for the club.
    The guy is one of the very best at his position (one of vital need for us), he's in his prime at 27. 60mil is a lot for a FB, but it's worth it considering the quality we're getting. Sure, he's got no resale value, but who cares in this instance.
    Same goes with Alderweireld: no one was asking Woodward to pay 90 or 75mil, or even 60 for that matter. But we had a chance at one of the best CBs around.
    Would love to know what is Woodward's rationale for passing on them. And hoping he didn't pass on them just because they were Mourinho's targets...

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    The big issue for me was players had to go before new ones came in we couldn’t get players out so we couldn’t bring many in. Squad is already to big and I imagine in the eyes of the board the wage bill is to high. Given net spends in previous summer I guess the owners wanted a summer closer to break even so rather than spend £150m and get nothing in if he wanted to spend £150 he needed to generate £100m from sales that didn’t happen.

Woodward needs to have that responsibility taken away from him but Mourinho, Woodward and the board need to sit down and agree the profile of player the club should target because it needs to be a united front and that last should be being worked on from February.

As soon as January shuts the summer should be getting worked on why did it take until April for a list to be generated?

Still think before end of August Darmian & Rojo will go possibly even Martial as I reckon the squad can cope without the first 2 and I think Mourinho knows keeping Martial happy is a problem for him as he’s not his first choice

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't trust Woodward (a business man) to judge players footballing abilities.

Don't trust Mourinho (a short-term manager) to chose players for the long-term good of the club.

The obvious DoF need aside, what is the point in having a scouting network if you are not going to make use of it.

Shame on both of them that we are at a pointless impasse.

Anonymous_United and Dirichlet repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1960 Ashur, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I dunno but I'm not getting too hyped up about the lack of signings. Ye all are watching too much Sky news or twitter or whatever. We did get a CM and a RB for the future yet I don't see many complaints about the likes of Spurs who signed noone or City who only signed Mahrez if they have eyes on the CL.
    Plus after all we did sign Fellaini to an extension which in itself is massive :p

johno repped this.
  13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Martial is going nowhere @Anonymous_United

Club has repeatedly briefed that they believe in his long term value.

14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is no way in hell Woody is making these evaluations of players footballing ability in a vacuum or alone.

As I said yesterday, I'm convinced Woody is going around Jose to some degree and seeking input direct from our scouting department.

15. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    not sure about anyone else but i am actually a fair bit more optimistic about Fred than when the news first broke.

he looks quite tidy in midfield thus far. hopefully it continues.

the bad news is if he gets injured we're literally back to square one in MF

johno repped this.
  16. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    I think that multiple things are true simultaneously.
    1. Club doesn't want to back Jose in the market after his failure at building a title challenging team with the signings he's requested and received
    2. Woodward bungled this window whichever way you look at it by either:
      • Not sacking a manager he won't back and considers a lame duck, and bringing in someone better.
      • Not going out and nabbing the best high-end young talent there is at any position (as the Guardian article states was his mission).
    The club is certainly suffering from a lack of real leadership in the offices right now.

Either way, I'm not that upset about the lack of signings because it wouldn't matter who we brought in. Our biggest problems are our tactics and morale.

Chaz Striker, Dirichlet and cr7torossi repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The big failing is not sacking Mou. Truth be told, Mou didn't start acting up till the end of the world cup. Would have been hard to replace him at that stage. Given that, hard to sign promising young talent with disgruntled Mou at the helm.

Pulp, cr7torossi and Dirichlet repped this.
  18. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woody seems to be saving his transfer money for the next manager which is great.

19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    On paper
    DDG
    Valencia Lindelof Bailey AY
    Magic Fred Pogba
    Alexis Lukaku Martial

Is not poor if played and used properly and that is the issue. There is a team that can compete for the title but it is on the manager to squeeze out the performance. Jose has to go earn that check now.

20. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Woodward is a ********ing idiot because he signed nobody when our needs are glaring. There's nothing else to say.

21. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And watch the Chuckle Brothers (Smalling and Jones) screwing us up every time we need them to be calm and composed like title-winning CBs normally should be? No, thanks! We handed them the keys to our back 4 from the moment we ditched Rio and Vidic away, and look where we are now. We still haven't properly replaced what was the best pair of centre-backs of the entire footballing world.

By the time Alderweireld becomes available, we will have wasted one more season, and Alderweireld will probably move to another big club that knows how to get a transfer job done. Seriously, Woodward can stick the marketables - Varane and Bale - up his arse because those guys are not helping us at all while other players could have helped us NOW.

And last but not least, ******** the Glazers!

22. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Sad.

This club has lost its way. Woodward and Jose need to go.

Bring in a DS and Eddie Howe and use the damn academy.

There's so much deadwood it's pathetic, the transfer targets are all in their late 20's, and the football is brutal.

When Fergie left it was obvious that United would never be the same , but it's become the antithesis.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    I actually quite like Eddie Howe and rate him well. I don't know if he's ready to be given the keys to Man Utd, but then he would still be an improvement over the past three guys (low bar).

24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Im not sure given how Mourinho has treated him post sanchez. Its either Martial or Jose ?? The club will have to decide and if Jose stays for couple more seasons i simply dont believe Martial will sign extension. Ibra came took his shirt nr then Sanchez arrive and he is warming bench.

25. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Woodward should pass responsibility on to someone with the skills required for that job.

Woodward should stick to what he knows brokering the commercial deals, he is a banker after all not a football expert.

Utd need a DOF who understands the transfer market and knows the emerging talents and has the right contacts to get the right players in. We’ve had more misses than hits in 5 seasons its time the club sort that part of the club out.