It’s a bird! it’s a plane! it’s a cash grab? Concacaf League of Nations Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USA-Zebuel, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but most are first or second generation Mexican immigrants so money and time is probably tight.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellency repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Even if that is true, going to see the Mexican National team in an official semifinal is more important than a friendly or a club friendly.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2010 Census

The 2010 US Census reported that the Latino population in Miami accounted for 70% of its total population,[56] with 34.4% being of Cuban origin, 15.8% had a Central American background (7.2% Nicaraguan, 5.8% Honduran, 1.2% Salvadoran, and 1.0% Guatemalan), 8.7% were of South American descent (3.2% Colombian, 1.4% Venezuelan, 1.2% Peruvian, 1.2% Argentinean, and 0.7% Ecuadorian), 4.0% had other Hispanic or Latino origins (0.5% Spaniard), 3.2% descended from Puerto Ricans, 2.4% were Dominican, and 1.5% had Mexican ancestry.

And here

66 percent of Miami’s Latinos are foreign born

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who. Cares?

STR1 and Ironbound repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It matters in the context of support for the Mexican team in Miami, which is what I was commenting on.

8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which also does not matter.

Offhand anecdote was challenged and then defended. It's whatever I guess.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There's Mexicans that live outside of the greater Miami area. I think I heard down in Homestead there's a huge community. But I don't want to make this a thread about populations.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nielsen describes the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood radio market as 52% Hispanic and 21% Black.

When CONCACAF picks sites to host, do they go by general statements such as how many Hispanics there are in Texas and California or go into more detail including where the Hispanics are from?

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who. Cares?

12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    These CONCACAF LoF should be used to try out players and to cap tie others. Calling in players who are on the fence on which country to play with should be an opportunity for USSF to cap tie them and see what they offer to the NT.

Pl@ymaker and 2in10 repped this.
  13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If they're serious about representing the United States. I'm against the practice of "predatory cap-tying," a practice that can harm our reputation among dual-national prospects in the long run.

Nonetheless, yes, the LoN should be used in much the same way that first division clubs tend to use their Cup competitions, rotating their squad and giving opportunities to their prospects trying to break into the first team... until silverware begins to loom. Winning silverware is always a good thing and is to be taken seriously.

14. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official Schedule for the First Window

US Virgin Islands host Canada at the IMG Academy in Florida

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caribbean nation on a good field? Adios pelota.

I wish we could play T&T, Jamaica, et. al. on good fields in the away legs...

16. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is this a home game for US Virgin Islands?

17. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Seems like from Wiki they have played at a baseball stadium or a junior high school's cricket field in the past but I guess neither was up to the standards for a game like this.

Several teams are playing "home" games away from home. Dominica host a game in Guadeloupe. Bonaire and Aruba both are the home team but playing in Curacao. And Saint Martin are playing in Anguilla.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Maarten, Dominica and the Virgin Islands got flattened less than a year ago and probably have more important things to spend their aid money from than rebuilding stadiums.

onefineesq repped this.
  19. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Back when CONCACAF had a single home-and-home knockout round prior to the semifinal group stage, some Caribbean minnow got drawn against Mexico and played their "home" game in Phoenix or San Antonio or somewhere. Got stomped of course, but probably not much worse than they would have at home and they collected a fat payday. Of course, I assume that payday also made its way into the senior FA officials' bank accounts rather than actually being reinvested into developing the sport in whatever island that was.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dominica's stadium
    upload_2018-8-11_14-43-41.png

I don't think they've played at home since.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there, outside that stadium (and above the stadium of an hill/mountain overlooking it) several years ago. Locals told me that China built the stadium for them (it is really built as a cricket oval). Beautiful place. To see the state of it now … just sad.

22. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least there will be 4 more teams added to the Gold Cup, should really up the competitiveness of those group games.

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico beat Dominica 10-0 on June 19, 2004 in San Antonio and 8-0 eight days later in Aguascalientes. The 18 goals were more than the 16 we scored in 2005 in 10 games to win the Hexagonal, although we won the head-to-head tiebreaker and Mexico would have won with the current goal differential tiebreaker. Mexico scored 67 goals in qualifying for World Cup 2006. I wonder if that's a record.

24. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Actually, it will. The quality of group stage teams will be basically the same (the quality of the last GC group stage would hardly have been dragged down any further by adding T&T, Haiti, Guatemala, and Cuba) but teams will be forced to finish in the top half of their group in order to advance, whereas the 12-team format gives 3rd place finishers a 2/3 chance of backing their way into the quarterfinals.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Considering the region, the ideal number of teams in a Gold Cup would be eight, not sixteen.