Is Vela a bust? BSMX you decide!

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by Don Boppero 3000, Dec 22, 2018.

?

Was Carlos Vela's career a bust?

1. Yes for sure.

44.4%
  2. No Imma tell you why.

55.6%
  1. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Vela is a bust if the expectation was him becoming a world class player. Then sure.

But with that being said, he carved out a solid career (pre-MLS). Especially with his stint with RS -- which was real good. Maybe not world class but real solid nonetheless.

He was neck-to-neck with Griezmann throughout his Real Sociedad play. You can argue he was better than him during those times. I believe Vela should have pushed harder for a different (European) team when his RS was ending. He was still a good player to play at a mid-to-high level team in the top leagues in the world. But at the end, he said fk it and decided the early retirement in MLS.

Gio is a more of a bust than Vela.

Neymadres, SerenPerro and LGRod repped this.
  2. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Failed expectations =/= Bust

3. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For me Vela wasn't a bust. Many of those kids from the 2005 U-17 winning squad were hyped up to the max to be the next big thing by the few media/programming companies that control Mexican soccer. Those media companies used all their platforms in TV, radio, print and on the internet to build up several of those kids to unrealistic expectations. It didn't help Vela caught the eye of Arsene Wenger when Arsenal where still in a golden age and were Wenger was signing young prospects left and right to see if they panned out and possibly be sold for a great return on investment. I think many (or some) would disagree with me when I say signing with Arsenal/Arsene Wenger in the long run was detrimental to Vela who despite him developing world class technique was never given the real chance at Arsenal and that hindered his growth and more so his footballing reputation tremendously.

Before the ACL tear Real Sociedad was his high point , but powers out of his hands hindered a move to a more financially strong team.

In hindsight Vela could of handled the National Team situation better during various points, but at the time he came out looking like the bad guy every time though with what we know now I think FMF was also wrong in various aspects. Of the various aspects, one in particular is the forcing of players to commit good amounts of time to do all sorts of media for the companies controlling Mexican Football rather than focus on the football whenever they come to the FMF camps.

Philip J. Fry and chivamex10 repped this.
  4. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Let's see...

Was once considered a top 3 striker in la liga.

Scored 20+ goals in a season in a top league/champions which is rare for a mexican player

helped his team secure a spot in the champions league

scored 4 goals in one game

scored a goal against the best teams (barcelona, real madrid, atletico)

He did all of this while skipping training to watch concerts. If he is a bust then 99% of mexican players are busts. Under no circumstance is he a bust. The fact that that the yes vote is close shows how emotional people are in regards to him

5. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought bust meant total failure, if it does, then obviously no, he's like a top 3-4 all time best Mexicans in Europe.

6. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bust is Giovani Dos Santos, 9 years in Europe only 2 ok seasons in La Liga to show for it.

7. chivamex10

chivamex10 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    your mom's house
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes:

So basically 2013/2014 season was enough to consider him a success?
    Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.19.07 AM.png

He never had a 20+ goal season. Nice try though. Seriously though everyone likes to cling onto that season like he was messiah.

Memory seems to fail once we start looking back at his career in full.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.27.50 AM.png

He had 3 successful seasons in Europe before he decided to call it quits and move to the mickey mouse league. Dude, his talent in undeniable. At one point he outshined Griezmann. But his career defining choices during crucial moments is what makes him weak.

Neymadres, Hecho en Chivas and DankYummy repped this.
  8. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Did you not read my sentence? He scored 20 goals in la liga/champions league in 2013-2014. He had 3 successful seasons but after that he busted because he had multiple knee injuries. He was the most consistent Mexican in europe prior to it.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-striker-Carlos-Vela-season-knee-surgery.html.

9. chivamex10

chivamex10 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    your mom's house
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Did you see my screenshot?

He never had a 20 goal season like you claimed.

Try again sweetheart.

10. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    those don't tell the entire story. what about the 2 goals he scored to qualify + other la liga tournaments

11. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Let me warm up this thread..

:devilish:

Could be a lot egg on faces.

azulcremaporvida repped this.
  12. chivamex10

chivamex10 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    your mom's house
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Guys if this deal goes thru i'm taking 100% credit for this deal happening. I sent him this DM on instagram when he had that photo of him and his wife watching a lakers game on the couch.

[​IMG]

I cleary got into his head.

13. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bust.

He's an asshole for not wanting to play in the 2014 WC when he was clearly at his best.

chivamex10 repped this.
  14. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Is he? I would have been the same way if I was treated the way the FMF treated him.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  15. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #40 Award Tour, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    People REALLY under estimate that knee injury. He had a ton of momentum going into the first half of his career at Real Sociedad. Remember his return game against Netherlands? That was around his peak. He got injured shortly after that and then he went through two seasons of dealing with the surgery and nursing the after effects. He’d show up for big games but you’d hear constant chatter that he couldn’t make practices due to his knees.

Moves just went away after that. He stuck to a club that believed in him and then eventually went to the MLS over moving to another European club that had zero chances of winning anything and that wouldn’t hesistate to dismiss him if things didn’t go smoothly. Plus of course the pay day.

So Vela wasn’t a bust. He just didn’t live up this potential. Some of it came from his lack of desire, but more, I believe, was due to his knee. He got the rug pulled under him just as he was hitting his peak. If that injury didn’t happen, he’d be at a decent club right now. I’m sure of it.

At the end of the day, he was a top La Liga attacker before his injury, and even after he became a loved, key figure and captain in a mid table La Liga club. That’s not a bust.

If he goes to Barcelona, I wouldn’t have any expectations. That said, I think he’s fully capable of completely surprising everyone. I’m just not sure if he’ll get the chances to do it even if the move does happen.

16. dreamtheater_21

Oct 19, 2007
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Y’all seen his insta pics lately?? One thing about MLS, they had him fit. Really slim and athletic.

17. dreamtheater_21

Oct 19, 2007
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Non of that barrel chestedness people said about him.

18. AMLO2018

AMLO2018 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I will take back what I said about him being a bust if he signs with Barcelona :inlove: