Is there an anti-soccer bias from the U.S. sports media?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by italiancbr, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Never read the comments but, one of the people who responded to him pointed out that in his sport a long time the National Champion was decided by a poll.

2. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It should be pointed out that Kanell also hosts a radio/TV ESPN show with Russillo, thus showcasing ESPN"s march to the bottom.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair to Kanell, the players don't decide whether a sport determines its champion with a regular season record without regards to strength of schedule, a playoff, or a poll. The leagues, schools, NCAA, NFL, MLS, etc. make the decisions.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Francesa hasn't been on Fox Sports in months.

7. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    With comments like that it's no wonder. If a national sports talk show host can't competently talk about the biggest sport in the world, he shouldn't be hosting a show in the first place.

8. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    As it currently stands, the shot-callers in U.S. sports media (especially talk radio) is still dominated by traditionalist curmudgeons stuck in their US/Canadian sports bubble. ESPN president John Skipper is a huge soccer guy, which is why it's perplexing how the "worldwide leader" can have incompetent SportsCenter anchors, who can't even bother to get basic rules/player names right when doing highlights of the worldwide sport--this lack of the most basic understanding of the game is even worse among local sports media outlets.

9. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Well according to this article someone at ESPN must've convinced the soccer-loving president to massively overpay for NFL, MLB, and NBA rights. No mention of overpaying for soccer though. And those huge investments are obviously going to dictate what's discussed and shown on their sports programming. If they had invested heavily in soccer I'm sure that even those hosts that didn't know anything about soccer would've learned quickly to love it if they wanted to keep their jobs. And it's not like it's that hard to learn such a simple sport. But how does talking about soccer help their ratings when Fox Sports and Fox Soccer devote more coverage to the sport? They would just be helping their competition.

You can also use a simple eye test to determine what importance they place on soccer. I remember a friendly between Brazil and Italy that I thought would be on ESPN or ESPN2 and they were airing Little League baseball instead. Not only do they have way too much non-sports programming for a sports network, if you were to add up the number of hours for each sport they do show, I bet you'd find they have more coverage for tennis, women's softball or the WNBA then they have for soccer. They could probably make a bid for NASL or USL games for next to nothing.

I think the writing is on the wall for ESPN which is why so much talent is leaving for Fox Sports.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A guy who managed to play professionally just long enough to earn a pension, but who has no significant accomplishments. The only ring he has is for a schoolboy championship he got backing up Charlie Ward in 1992. Typical BMOC/NFL nobody.

Chesco United repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports have special events. The NCAA Softball Tournament will be prioitized over soccer, and so will the Little League World Series, but not regular season games in those sports. I don't know if Fox Saturday Baseball has a fixed time anymore, and they might not have a game on Fox every week. Sometimes Fox Sports 1 would have a game instead. A few years ago when Fox Saturday Baseball was normally in the afternoon, Fox made it a night game the day of the UEFA Champions League Final because that's a special event. Should baseball fans have complained that a regular season game was considered less important than the Champions League Final?

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I know that it has been policy at ESPN for many years now to stick with the live event - no matter what it is - until its completion and push the scheduled start to one of the other channels or even delay if the league agrees to it.

13. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yet another one...but this time it goes on for 8 mins:

15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In Philadelphia, Angelo Cataldi is another infamous soccer basher.

16. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    #66 Tom Ado, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Spends 8 minutes bitching about something he supposedly doesn't care about. :ROFLMAO: The demographic of your inner circle is showing, Mikey.

Amazing how many sports personalities are willing to reduce themselves to caricatures just to stay relevant.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say that his contract runs out sometime in 2017 and I don't believe it will be renewed...so his time is soon coming to an end. Not soon enough in my book...

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Francesa said that at the end of 2017 he will leave his radio show but continue to be involved in sports.

19. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why now? Why not 20 years ago?

20. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I couldn't have said it any better myself. Straight and to the point. Effective and efficient.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN Ratings
    2014 Little League World-Series
    South Korea vs Chicago 5,343,000
    2015 USMNT soccer friendly
    USA-Brazil 1,012,000

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Ron Popeil infomercial vs. last episode of M*A*S*H

23. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Aside from the fact that you picked the most watched Little League final ever, which even beat out MLB ratings, you do realize the Little League final is on ABC, not ESPN, right? Not to mention it falls on a Saturday afternoon. While the friendly you mentioned was on ESPN2 on a Tuesday evening. The 2015 Little League final had 2.8 million viewers (also on ABC). ESPN only shows the regional Little League games and even an MLS game would garner better ratings.

But aside from strictly ratings, isn't there something exploitative about showcasing 11 and 12 year olds on national tv for a sporting competition?

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely not a good thing for youth sports in general.

25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that any different from America's Most Talented Kid, MasterChef Junior, or other reality competitions for kids?