Is the "lobbying" in the UK?

Discussion in 'International News' started by JBigjake, Feb 22, 2015.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #2 JBigjake, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Hmm ... thought the thread title was "Is there "lobbying" in the UK?" ...
    Anyway, looks like Conservatives are unhappy about this
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-31589202
    MPs "are forbidden from acting as a "paid advocate" - taking payment for speaking in the House, asking a parliamentary question, tabling a motion, introducing a bill or tabling or moving an amendment to a motion or bill or urging colleagues or ministers to do so."
    How about after retirement? That's how it works here.
    "The government is in the process of setting up a register which would require third-party lobbyists to declare their client lists and meetings with ministers"
    From the linked document:
    "Consultant lobbying, as defined by this legislation, means the business of representing the interests of a client by communicating with senior Government decision-makers on the working or function of the Government.
    Lobbying is a key part of our democratic process. This Register is intended to enhance transparency"
    "the Transparency of Lobbying, Non Party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Act 2014"
    Looks like there are some significant loopholes, especially in that only contacts with top ministers, etc., need to be reported, not contacts with the rest of the MPs, including shadow ministers.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking for a UK politics thread, I guess this will do.

May even as a liberal, I recognize this is a good smack down (edited to look that way of course)

Here is the full video with more topics.