Is Pele's dribbling is too underrated?!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Sir_Artur, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Louis Soccer

Louis Soccer Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2017
    #501 Louis Soccer, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Reviewing the performance of these players in WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS + WORLD CUP, Pele has an advantage not only over Jairzinho, but also over Maradona and Messi.
    DRIBBLE GOAL AVERAGE
    1. Pele, 6 dribble goal/20 games= 0.30 per game
    2. Jairzinho, 4 dribble goal/22 games= 0.18 per game
    3. Messi, 7 dribble goal/59 games= 0.12 per game
    4. Maradona, 3 dribble goal/29 games= 0.10 per game

PERCENTAGE OF GOALS DRIBBLING
    1. Pele, 18 goals, 6 dribble goal= 33.3% of goals
    2. Jairzinho, 12 goals, 4 dribble goal = 33.3% of goals
    3. Maradona, 3 dribble goal= 27.3% of goals.
    4. Messi, 59 games, 26 goals, 7 dribble goal = 26.9% of goals

DRIBBLED PLAYERS PER GOAL
    1. Maradona dribbled 9 players to score 11 goals, or 0.82 players per goal.
    2. Pelé dribbled 12 players to score 18 goals, or 0.67 players per goal.
    3. Jairzinho dribbled 6 players to score 12 goals, or 0.50 players per goal.
    4. Messi dribbled 8 players to score 26 goals, or 0.31 players per goal.

CONCLUSION:
    Analyzing the data presented, it is clear that Pele's dribble was more efficient in the definition (above Jairzinho, Maradona and Messi), despite not having completed his great play against Bulgaria in 1966 (3 dribbled players) and the " manikin "to Uruguay in 1970. Had he completed the 1962 and 1966 World Cups, his advantage would be much greater.

Maradona despite scoring only 3 goals using the dribble, has the first place in dribbled player, due to two emblematic performances in 1986 (5 dribbled players to England and 3 to Belgium)

The dribble of Jairzinho is very respectable and competes with Maradona for the second place.

Messi with its great quality, has lower scores.

Tropeiro and Caspian repped this.
  2. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    Sorry for the late reply. I don't have the stats for 1974 WC. So can't answer your question.
    Maradona had a toe injury and would suffer a severe ankle injury early in the tournament. Look it up
    http://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/03/09/diego-maradona-at-world-cup-1990-the-weeping-angel/

Pele 70 was certainly better than Maradona 90 not denying that.

Messi's dribbling in 2011, 2013, 2015 in UCL, Copa 2015 against modern defense is more impressive than anything Pele did back then

3. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    Pele had 2 dribble goals in World Cup (1958 against Sweden, 1962 against Mexico)
    Care to share the other goals?
    Brazil didn't had to play the WC qualifiers in 62, 66 because they were the defending champions.
    Those teams they faced in 1970 qualifiers i.e, Paraguay, Colombia, Venezuela weren't really a thing back then.

Goals aren't the only important factor to determine who's a better dribbler. For example 1974 WC final goal was a result of Cruyff's dribbling though he neither had the goal or assist in his name.

Pele had 12 goals & 6 assists throughout 4 World Cups (Correct me if I'm wrong)
    How many of those assists were after completing a successful dribble? 0

Clearly most of his assists were a simple pass or cross. Similar to Cristiano or other center forwards we see today.
    Which doesn't prove your point how he's a better dribbler than Messi, Maradona, Cruyff who had plenty of dribbling assists.
    Now you'd say what does assists has to do with dribbling? It shows the effectiveness & versatility of his dribbling

One may not be the best in every single department & still be considered the greatest. Like the other guy said

4. Louis Soccer

Louis Soccer Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2017
    #504 Louis Soccer, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    I already explained this before, if we see the video of Maradona in the key matches of 1990, he does not see anything hurt
    To Pelé 1966 if he is clearly hurt, he limps for 55 minutes !!!, therefore your argument is just a justification
    We agree, Pelé 1970 was superior to Maradona 1990, but was also superior to Jairzinho 1974. In those tournaments the three were 29 years old and were already world champions.

Pele 1970 scored 4 goals + 5 assists in 6 games = 1.50 per game.
    Jairzinho 1974 scored 2 goals + 1 assist in 7 games = 0.43 per game
    Maradona 1990 scored 0 goals + 2 assists in 7.7 games = 0.26 per game

I only have data ( Champions League + Club World) of the Finals - Messi, and data (Copa Libertadores + Intercontinental Cup) of the Finals - Pelé.

DRIBBLE GOAL AVERAGE
    Pele, 5 dribble goal / 6 games = 0.83 per game
    Messi, 3 dribble goal / 6 games = 0.50 per game

DRIBBLED PLAYERS PER GOAL
    Pelé dribbled 10 players to score 10 goals, or 1.00 players per goal.
    Messi dribbled 3 players to score 6 goals, or 0.50 players per goal.

PERCENTAGE OF GOALS DRIBBLING
    Pele, 10 goals, 5 dribble goal = 50.0% of goals
    Messi, 6 goals, 3 dribble goal = 50.0% of goals

Here, Pele also surpasses Messi in efficiency and production.
    Although Messi has an advantage because the Conmebol teams are much weaker than in the 60s.

Tropeiro and Máximo Artillero repped this.
  5. Louis Soccer

Louis Soccer Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2017
    #505 Louis Soccer, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Pele completed 3 dribbling goals (Wales 1958 + Sweden 1958 + Mexico 1962) in 14 WC games. Maradona also completed 3 dribbling goals (England 1986 + Belgium 1986 + Greece 1994) but needed 21 WC games.
    Pele in the 1969 qualifiers scored 3 dribbling goals in 6 games against Colombia, Venezuela and Paraguay, this may seem small, but Maradona in 1985 played with almost the same rivals (Colombia, Venezuela and Peru) and could not score any dribbling goal in 6 games. The difference in favor of the Brazilian is clear !!!!
    I agree that goals are not the only factor, but it is clear that Pele's dribble was more efficient to score, over Maradona and Messi. Many scoring opportunities have been the result of the dribbling of great players such as Pelé, Cruyff, Maradona, etc. But are you implying that Pele was not so good at this? Do you have evidence? Or it is only your visual impression, (your desire?) Remember that we must analyze and review performance, we must be objective.
    Pele has 8 assists in WC and 4 assists in QWC, playing only 20 games (average of 0.60 per game)
    Maradona, has 8 assists in WC and 4 in QWC, playing 29 games (average of 0.41 per game)
    5 of the 8 assists of Maradona in WC were with stopped ball (63%) and the 8 assists of Pele in WC were during the game (100%), this due to the greater tactical intelligence of the Brazilian.
    hope you show Maradona's supposed highest number of dribbling assists, it's not enough just to talk.
    Pele has more assists than Maradona, I think this does not seem to matter. I leave you a sample of Pele assists in various modalities (touch, cross, dribble, wall, cue, etc.), with the right, left and head. A whole arsenal of possibilities.

One may not be the best in each department, I agree, but Pele's dribbling and assistance was more effective and versatile than Maradona's

P.D. CR7, is in another category, you have to compare it with Gerd Muller, Marco Van Basten, Romario, etc. Not with Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, etc.

Tropeiro repped this.
  6. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    I'm not aware of the stats but Messi surely has more dribbling goals in the knockout stage than in the final. Again you're comparing UCL with Copa Libertadores which is just great....

Just a question would you be coming up with new excuses after he completes 20+ if not 30+ dribbles in World Cup at the age of 31? :rolleyes:

7. Louis Soccer

Louis Soccer Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2017
    I do not understand why it is difficult for you to understand, Pele and Maradona suffered strong injuries, that's why at 30 they were already veterans. It is easy to see the difference between Pele's physical condition in the 1962 Intercontinental Cup vs 1970 World Cup. The facts are clear:

Jairzinho 1970 (25 years old), 48 dribbles / 6 games = 8.0 per game
    Maradona 1986 (25 years old), 53 dribbles / 7 games = 7.6 per game
    Pele 1966 (25 years), 9 dribbles / 1.5 games = 6.0 per game

Pele 1970 (29 years), 16 dribbles / 6 games = 2.7
    Maradona 1990 (29 years old), 14 dribbles / 7.7 games = 1.8
    Jairzinho 1974 (29 years old), 12 dribbles / 7 games = 1.7

Messi with modern medicine and the protection of this time seems to be longer lived. Even so, its tendency is to decrease.

Messi 2010, (23 years old) 34 dribbles / 5 games = 6.8
    Messi 2014, (27 years old) 46 dribbles / 7 games = 6.0
    Messi 2018 (31 years old) 23 dribbles / 4 games = 5.8

Tropeiro repped this.
  8. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    its the fact that pele was not among world cup top dribblers. hazard 2018 world cup is better dribbler than any pele's world cup

9. Louis Soccer

Louis Soccer Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2017
    Yes, Pele is not among the best dribblers of the World Cup, in the same way that Maradona is not among the best to pass the ball of the World Cup, as also Romario, Van Basten or CR7 are not among the greatest scorers.

Eden Hazard is a great dribbler and is in the TOP 5 of the World Cup:
    1. Jairzinho 1970 = 8.0 dribble per game
    2. Maradona 1986 = 7.6 dribble per game
    3. Mazzola 1974 = 7.5 dribble per game
    4. Hazard 2018 = 6.9 dribble per game
    5. Messi 2014 = 6.8 dribble per game

In the case of Pele, I explained that his best dribble was between 1960-1968, where it is clear that he is one of the best dribblers in history, judging him only for the 1970 World Cup is biased and absolutely ridiculous.
    In the 1962 World Cup he missed the opportunity to see the best Pele, was the figure of the first date and then suffered an injury. In other contexts, Pele exhibited his best dribble defining titles and scoring a greater number of goals through dribbling than Maradona, Messi and also Hazard.

10. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    I can also make an argument that Brazil had much more time to prepare for the world cup in 1970 than the European nations. Not to mention the busy schedule of modern football which is detrimental for the player's performances. But I don't want to go there. As it's incredibly difficult to compare players from different generations with so many factors in consideration

It's more logical to say that Pele was the best dribbler in the 60's just like Best/Cruyff in 70's, Maradona in 80's, Ronaldo in 90's and Messi in the modern era

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're not wrong. Brazil's lengthy preparation is brought up in Brazil quite often. More as a point of admiration though. They were much better prepared than other nations. However, I don't think the European schedule was as grueling back then as it is today.

12. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    pele was very good dribbler. but i dont see any case showing he was at the "greatest level".
    can you show official sources or video about his dribble goals?
    as for goals, it is not just dribble but also finishing ability as well. hazard is a better dribbler than pele, but not finisher

Bavarian14 repped this.
  13. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Watch Bella Kona videos on YouTube. You'll realize that Pele is obviously among the greatest ever dribblers, if not the greatest.

Máximo Artillero repped this.
  14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    George best’s dribbling prime was actually in the 60s so I’ll give him the nod for best dribbler of that decade

From what I’ve seen and I must admit it isn’t that much cruyff looked a more dangerous and direct dribbler in the late 60s compared to his ballon dor winning years in the early 70s
    If considering prime only pele would definitely rank behind Garrincha in the early 60s(certainly in terms of dribbling)and in Europe Omar Sívori.in the latter part he would have to contend with George best and cruyff

Maybe there is an argument he was the most consistent dribbler of the decade but he was never imo at any point THE dominant dribbler in the world

15. Caspian

Caspian Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    MVP MITSUI MVP has updated a new version of Brazil vs Bulgaria in utube.
    Here are the stats for Pele:
    63 touches, 5 shots , 1 goal, 33 passes and 27 succeed ,3 key passes ,10 successful dribbles 7 interceptions ,Meets 7 times a foul ,Meets 22 tackles ,Ball control time:3‘02’‘.

16. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    Ball control dummies and feints. Those are bread and butter for Messi.

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #517 carlito86, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019

This iconic move was just too sick
    this was actually nanis last good/great season
    It may sound far fetched now but in 2010/11 he was legitimately one of the best players in the EPL

18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You can list 50,000 players if you want
    There is no conventional striker in the history of football with even 50% of the skill set of prime Cristiano Ronaldo

I have yet to come across a brazilian poster here who did not prove to be totally clueless about CR

Bavarian14 repped this.