Is la Liga the best league this year? [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Redfuria, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Re: Is la Liga the best league this year?

That's what I like to see. Defend your league. :D

2. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I take it you haven't watched the games.

3. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Bayern took their chances but Fiorentina didnt? THey each scored 4 goals a piece. So, do you take more chances by scoring more away than home? Is that what you're saying? If so, that is more retarded than your first post that Bayern didnt look bad because of a goal Robben scored.

4. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

so it was the refs fault Van Bommel and Robben scored was it?

Yes Bayerns two goals shouldnt have been allowed but Fiorentina are out as they couldnt hold on to a 2-0 lead at home.

5. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Im retarded :eek:

Bayern away from home = 2 goals

Fiorentina away from home = 1 goal

Therfore if Fiorentina score one less goal away from home they took less of their chances than Bayern did. Also Fiorentina lost a 2 goal lead, stop making excuses if they were that good they would be in the quarter final draw.

6. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I'm not talking about losing a 2-goal lead; never brought that up. Let's get back to why you said "Fiorentina lost because they didnt take their chances." They scored 4 goals a piece, Bayern scored more away. So... please tell me HOW Fiorentina made less of their chances than Bayern did. Please tell me.

7. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I did watch the game actually courtesy of Sky Sports. I saw Fiorentina outplay Bayern Munich but failed to make their advantage pay. A team cant be defended for this imo if you dont take your chances then the other team does you cant bitch and moan that you should have gone through instead. Fiorentina are out because

A, Bad Referee

B) Failure to convert their chances

C) Bad Defending

A bad team that gets a result, is a sign of a good team. A team that plays well and loses is still a bad team.

8. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hmm lets see since you need it spelling out.

Under Uefa rules away goals count more than home goals. Therefore wouldnt it be a good idea to try and score a desirable number of away goals? You following me??

Yes both teams scored 4 goals each but Bayern scored more goals away from home. therefore scored more important goals than Fiorentina. You still with me?

So Fiorentina failed to take their chances as they did not score enough goals away from home which knocked them out. Bayern took two chances away from home, Fiorentina took one. So Fiorentina failed to take their chances, is that nice and clear for you.:rolleyes:

9. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You don't need to spell it out for me if you used correct terminology. "Making the most of your chances" =/= "Scoring more in the away leg but scoring an equal number of goals as your opponent." Very different concepts there buddy.

Anyway, IMO, Bayern and Fiorentina was a very even tie. They both played well offensively but both were not the sharpest in their defensive duties. Personally, I think Fiorentina looked the better side but Bayern goes through solely because they benefit from the away goal ruling, though I have to think, and I know some Bayern fans have admitted, that a poor refereeing decision helped them progress.

10. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Different concepts when the games are weighted equally yes. However a 2-0 home win is a worse result than a 2-0 away win so my theory is correct thank you very much.

Im not saying that Fiorentina were played off the park but this is the Champions league, if you cant see out a 2-0 lead its all your own fault you arent in the next round.

11. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I dont even know what your theory is to begin with because it was a misnomer. If youre saying Bayern go through because of the away goal rule, it's correct. If you're saying that Bayern go through because they made the better of their chances (i.e., more than Fiorentina did), then your theory is wrong.

Again, I never brought this up, never argued against it, dont know why you keep saying this.

12. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

My theory is not wrong though, you keep thinking of the games being weighted equally.

Bayern took more chances away from home than Fiorentina, they made the better of their chances away from home so my theory is correct. Fiorentina are out partly due to the fact they didnt take their chances as well as Bayern did away from home.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

I'm thinking Robben is at the top of that list. :p

Wasn't that also the case last season though? How did the 2008/9 CL play-out again?

Just because Madrid's style isn't suited to European football doesn't make Barca weaker than they are. Barca matches up very well with both Man Utd and Arsenal.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Fiortentina never had a two goal lead. Therefore they never squandered a two-goal lead.

Simple facts.

15. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hmmm

Fiorentina did lead the second leg, 2-0 till Van Bommel scored. At this point they lead the tie on aggregate 3-2. They concede one more goal and it goes to extra time and arent eliminated. However they conceded two goals and are knocked out.

So I think you will find Fiorentina did squander a two goal lead.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

It's interesting how they squandered a 2-goal lead while only being outscored 2-1. :rolleyes:

Bayern were never more than a goal away from equalizing. We call that a 1-goal deficit.

17. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The thing is though they didnt even make extra time they conceded two goals and got knocked out. In the game they let slip a 2-0 lead at home and thats unforgivable.

18. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008

That's because of the nature of the away goals rule. They didn't have a 2 goal lead.

19. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

In the game they had a two goal lead, aggregate they did not. A team who throw away two points in a league game would be critcised for going 2 up in the second half and then letting the opposition equalise with only 30 mins remaining. They did not lead Bayern by two goals but the principle that they were knocked out by losing there leading position in the game is still all their own doing.

20. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008

Well yeh i agree with that. They showed naivety for both goals, but most of the players had never played in the CL KO stages so that was to be expected.

Shame they won't make it next season, would've been good to see them again with after their experiences this season - they play good football.

21. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan

Might as well close this now as we're on the 2,000 post limit. Whoever starts up the sequel can they remember to stick an [R] in the title please?