Is la Liga the best league this year? [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Redfuria, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Re: Is la Liga the best league this year?

I might go with you there if ManU would be the only dominating team, but they aren't, there were also only 3 other serious title contenders in the last 15 years (and Liverpool only really came close once). 75-85 Liverpool had to fight off QPR, ManU, ManCity, Ipswich, Southampton, who came within 5 points of the title in at least 1 of the 10 seasons, in addition Everton, Villa and Nottingham won it during that time. Liverpools main competitors changed almost every year, and looking at 74/75 and 85/86, there are new teams again (Derby County winning in '75 and West Ham 4 pts behind Liverpool in '86).

English football structurally changed with the EPL. It happened all over Europe, actually, thanks to the CL, the Bosman ruling and rapidly increasing tv and sponsorship revenue, but probably nowhere as much as in England.

2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I hear you about the structure. However, we've been challenged by more than three teams in the last fifteen years. Newcastle and Blackburn were also serious contenders in that time. I mean Blackburn actually won the thing!

The fact is, Sir Alex Ferguson is an excellent manager and his spell at the helm has given us an unprecedented run of continuity. Don't judge the premiership til the Manchester United Fergie era has come to an end.

3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

This is actually a fair comment, though think about who throws that out there: it's basically the Premiership promoting itself and commentary soundbites. That doesn't mean that the rest of us don't know and recognise the actual facts. You think United fans consider the team to be the most successful in terms of league titles? No. We've caught up with Liverpool, but if they win it next season, the aforementioned soundbites might mention it being the first "Premiership" that they've won, but far more will be made of it being the 19th title. Ditto if United win it this year.

Anyhoo, the fact remains that while the media might laud "premiership" records (or whatever sounds good at the time - like "Wigan have never beaten Liverpool" or "Liverpool haven't won on Monday night in 13 games") the fact is the league has existed for over 100 years and no team has won more than 18 titles.

4. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)

Well, once this season is over, Blackburn is out of the 15year span, and it's more than doubtfull that anyone else than ManU, Chelsea or Arsenal will have anything to say in the title race... but I'll give you Newcastle, they were finishing 2nd as recently as '96 and '97.

Like I said, I'm not talking about the dominating team here, I'm talking about the main competitors. During Liverpools spell in the 70s and 80s, they changed every season or 2, in the last decade, they haven't changed at all. And that's despite the squads changing rather fast these days.

5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yeah, you're pretty much right.

I would say that it's gone from it being United & another in the '90s, to being a one-horse race at the start of the decade, then a two-horse race between Arsenal and United, then Arsenal took over and competed with Chelsea briefly, before the newly-monied blues had a couple of dominant years. Since then, though United have won three in a row, it's been any one of four in the race. So there has definitely been an exclusive pool of competitors, as you say.

However (and I know you touched on this) in the context of this thread, I don't see that the Premiership is truly any different to the other top leagues. If anything it simply took England longer to slip into this mode of having a perpetual elite few that hog the lions share of the honours.

Like I said, Fergie's inevitable retirement and how it is dealt with could see a reshuffle up there. New management always has a bigger effect than new playing personnel.

6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US

Lyon showing how to play Madrid in Madrid, Spanish teams should take note.

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

No doubt EPL is the best league in Europe. And it's not even remotely close.

8. omnione

omnione Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

**giggles**

9. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Oh my........:eek:

10. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY

close this thread

11. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Funny every year the Euro media try and say the EPL teams are not as dominant anymore.

All hail the mighty Serie A and La Liga comeback this year. :D

How many Euro's was that down the drain tonight?

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

It's settled. The only non-English team with a chance of a top three finish in the EPL is Barca. I'm intensly impressed.

13. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

220 I believe :D

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

This is going to cost RM €100m in lost revenue, easy. I wonder what this summers shopping list is going to look like.

15. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Real Madrid have been a joke for 6 years now. I wonder if they will buy some defenders now.

16. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US

Fun fact, Madrid have never beaten Lyon.

17. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I do think Inter still have a chance of knocking out Chelsea.

It could go like the Fiorentina Bayern game. 2 killer away goals.

18. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Inter is not Porto.

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007

What's funny is that you, a Prem fan, is defending Inter while the supposed "fan" of the league doesn't think they stand a chance.

I don't know why Duck bothers to watch this sport.

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I do too. But that don't mean Inter would finish higher then Chelsea in a league. I think right now EPL have the top three teams in the world.

21. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Personally I think Bayern have an excellent chance. Chelsea could go out, Arsenal are inconsistent and Utd havent played well all season despite their success.

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Where did I say that?

23. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007

Now you're saying Barca is not among the top three? What happened to a few posts back?

Your whole argument about league finishes is moot, because league play involves a long combination of home and away matches against teams not in the top 3. Chelsea might finish above Inter, but it's not as clear cut as you make it. By the way you speak, it's as if Inter doesn't ever stand a chance against the top English teams, even in the CL.

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Bayern are complete shit. With a even average ref in that first game Viola would have knocked them out.

25. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Why don't you read what I said again and put to use at least two brain cells. If you have 'em.