Is It Too Late To Say Sarri? The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Jul 13, 2018.

1. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ole good striker but no Lamps by any means in any way what so ever, the striker had over a 100 less goals than the mf-er though; not like Jose did any better with their half-shit team team, verdict still out on him really.

10-15 points I actually watch the matches. That is 4-7 matches where zonal marking, starting Luiz every second despite being inattentive and at fault for so many matches, the same effing midfield and sub's near every match, playing Kante wrong, the least goals in top 6, 8 losses, shiite road record, losing points to so many teams we ought not, being so predictable with zero flexibility/adaptability, 20 points worse than Conti's first year with near same team, and u I think and so many here railed against Conti for his 2nd year, and now 2 more point is the holy grail.

You disagree with me, you don't rate Lamp, you are frustrated, so nothing new.

2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Time will tell how Cech does, but he speaks several languages fluently, a plus in dealing with players from so many places, he knows football and his experience has to rate higher than coaching U-14 teams like the last guy or being really good at business, but give her her due on the last 2 deals negotiating money.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Christ, this is even worse than the "I go to the matches" argument. We all watch the matches. That's not a reason for "knowing" Sarri cost us points. There's very strong evidence he's a good manager. It's hard to reason he turned to shit overnight.

Some of those reasons are downright preposterous. Zonal marking is employed by Liverpool and Citeh and seemed to work out OK for them. Luiz is our second best defender. The same effing midfield is due to us......not having other midfield options (Barkley being bad and RLC being injured half the season), the least goals in the top six was coupled with a great defense in the top 6, shiite road record was matched by a good home record, "losing points to so many teams we ought not to" is just garbled nonsense, he was clearly adapting later in the season and playing far more reactively, which is what many wanted from him.

As for being far worse than Conte's first year, given where we finished this year and last, perhaps it was Conte's first year that was the outlier and not the last two? It's bizarre to think that when we have two good/mediocre years and one great one the argument is that the one great year is our "real" accurate standard. There's no reason to think that. Nor do the numbers support it - metrics suggest we're the 3rd or 4th best club in England, and our title winning season was an outlier partially caused by having no European commitments.

Don't rate Lamp - on what basis is there to rate him?? He's had ONE season as a manager! Did you watch Derby this season? Have you done a deep dive into the numbers at Derby? You've been railing against Sarri all season yet you're arguing I"m "frustrated" despite wanting a completely untested manager appointed because..........there's literally no good reason to appoint Lampard other than he used to play for Chelsea. Again, if Lampard hadn't played for Chelsea, he wouldn't even be sniffing this job.

Ninjatend0, Blueallthru, Kazuma and 3 others repped this.
  4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's dumb.

I know because I watch the games.

6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Solid post describing how I feel about bringing in ex-players as managers/executive roles.

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wait, who did we have in Conte’s first year that made us so devastating aside from Hazard? Right, Diego Costa. Who scored 20 goals that season. Oh, also helped that we didn’t have any European football that year, either.

Lobo, Sarri wasn’t a good fit for us. And he got the club to two finals, winning one of them. This is despite al the flaws we have in our midfield as mentioned. And the lack of a striker that can score. Whoever comes to this club now is going to have their hands full with the transfer ban.

I love Lamps, but man even when Pep was appointed Barca manager there were questions asked about that appointment then. And he had similar, if less experience then. It’d be great in a TV script sense but come on!

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Message from Lamps

[​IMG]

Acting like it was y'all Zani left his "reading inside a future sealed envelope tool" to when it is sitting right here on my desk

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I hope the result of hiring Lampard is a good one. I hope that because I support Chelsea and he’s likely going to be managing Chelsea. But the process of appointing him is not good.

Bad process in the hope of good results rarely works out well.

Wrath, JimWharton and truefan420 repped this.
  10. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sarri has gone. Jury still out on him imho. I quite liked him, but I cannot see past of his willful stubbornness and his refusal change players and tactics that honestly did cost us some points this season. He was incredibly frustrating at times. Sarri left, to manage the old lady, citing that he was homesick. With a budget to buy some new players I would have given him another season. He didn’t want it.

His replacement.

1. Lampard has not been given the job yet.

2. Former players who have enjoyed short successful times as Chelsea mangers include: Roberto Di Matteo, Gianluca Vialli, Rudd Gullit and Eddie McCreadie.

3. There is a lot of hostility here towards Frank Lampard. Strange.

4. The bigger problem we face is having no permission to register players. We need some new strikers, because we don’t have any worthwhile strikers in our pool of yoof players. Tammy Abraham is not good enough.

5. We are yet to appeal.

6. Why haven’t we appealed?

7. Looking at the long-term plans of Roman is that he is aiming to sell the club. Apparently he is not in a rush to do so - but that is his plan. He is not selling this summer. But when he does sell the new owners will want to be able to ‘play’ billionaire God in the transfer market.

8. IF not Frank who do you blokes fancy as manager?

9. Without being able to make any moves in the transfer market, the Chelsea job is going to be tough for anybody to take on.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  11. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #186 StamfordBridgeLions, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    The Eddie McCreadie story for those too young to know. . . As a manager with no money to spend he put together a decent youth team. A talented and pacy attacking full-back with impressive timing, McCreadie featured strongly in the flamboyant Chelsea sides of the 1960s and 1970s alongside the likes of Ron Harris, Bobby Tambling, Peter Osgood and Charlie Cooke. McCreadie scored a memorable winner in the League Cup final of 1965 in which he dribbled 80 yards up the pitch before slotting the ball past Leicester City goalkeeper Gordon Banks to give Chelsea a 3–2 win.

Upon his retirement from playing in 1973, McCreadie joined the coaching staff at Chelsea having made 410 appearances for the club. In April 1975 he was appointed manager but by this stage the team was in decline with the club heavily in debt and he couldn't prevent relegation to the Second Division. Nevertheless, McCreadie re-built the side - taking the captaincy from Harris and giving it to 18-year-old Ray Wilkins in the process - and with no money to spend put together a team of youth players and veterans from the club's heyday. Chelsea were promoted back to the First Division in 1977. It was then that he lost his job in somewhat bizarre circumstances. Having won promotion, his request for a company car was rejected by chairman Brian Mears, so he resigned. Mears then relented and offered him the car but with his sense of pride he did not come back to the club as he had already made his mind up.

Eddie McCreadie was a decent manager. He would have had somme success imho, but he lost the job and the momentum. Ended up coaching in the NASL.

Ray Wilkins was a Chelsea legend, captain of the club at 18, he also had two spells as a Chelsea manager. He managed Chels for 2 games in Sept 2000 and in Feb 2009 he managed Chels for one game.

Dr_Intoxicated and Crawleybus repped this.
  12. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    there was also, David Webb, who had the managers job before Glen Hoddle arrived to turn things round. . .I was not a fan of David Webb as manager to be honest, But he had personality and charisma that is certain.

It was with Chelsea that Webb really made his name in football, in particular for his role in Chelsea's win in the 1970 FA Cup finalagainst Leeds United at Old Trafford. During the first game at Wembley, Webb, playing at right-back, had a nightmare and was tormented throughout the match by the nimble and tricky Leeds winger Eddie Gray as Chelsea were somewhat fortunate to emerge with a 2–2 draw. Manager Dave Sexton made a tactical switch for the replay, moving Webb to the centre to partner John Dempsey while the more uncompromising Ron Harris was detailed to mark Gray. Webb – and Chelsea overall – performed markedly better in the replay and it was he who proved the unlikely hero, heading in the winner from an Ian Hutchinson throw-in in extra time.

The following year Chelsea beat Real Madrid in another replay to win the European Cup Winners Cup. Although he spent much of his Chelsea career as a right back, he also played in central defence (his original position) and occasionally as a centre forward, once hitting a hat-trick against Ipswich Town in December 1968. He wore every shirt from 1 to 12 at Chelsea, except number 11. Ipswich were once again witness to his versatility when he played as a goalkeeper for an entire match, on 27 December 1971, keeping a clean sheet in the process, and then scored two goals in the return fixture as a centre forward in March 1972

Webb returned to Chelsea as manager in February 1993 on a short-term contract to replace Ian Porterfield – another former player. The club were in freefall, without a league win in over two months and threatened with relegation. Under Webb, performances and results gradually improved and the team eventually finished a comfortable 11th in the Premiership. But the club's board did not renew his contract and appointed Glenn Hoddle instead

Crawleybus repped this.
  13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From the bbc
    all about our managers. .
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48435162

It can be said to be a winning formula, top players on big wages with decent managers, when it all goes south chop the manager out of the equation.

It's the easiest & also the cheapest option.

14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #189 lobomojo, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    As Stamford asked above, how about now, the Lamp naysayers, the process naysayers, and, everyone else also, take a little risk, put their chips on the table and give 1 or 2 realistic actual names you want.
    Allegri who was my other choice but did not want to be considered for job reportedly to either rest or because of lack of transfer control (an issue for many since Jose 2, and especially Conti), would have kept Sorri not acceptable answer now, he is Juve coach

So let's hear who?

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s the issue... with the way we operate there are no top coaches with top track records that are going to come here. We don’t spend like we use to and they’ll get a year at best. No top class coach is going to subject themselves to that. We’re only going to be able to target potential up and comers or coaches with a chip on the shoulder unless we change our approach.

We can say we want Allegri or Tuchel if fried from PSG or Zidane mid season last year or Pep a few years ago but none of them will come. Not with how we do business.

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We apparently spent 189 million last year, set record on spending on a GK, , well spent I think, and 40 million times 3 or 4 on so-so midifielders the year and year before and a huge chunk on Morata. 57 on Jorginho, not ready to give up on him, myself, in a better higher spot, protected by Kante, in a better system/approach he might come real good. The issue has been on spending wisely and in quantity rather than quality perhaps. Think the we won't spend theory is a bit of a false flag tbh.

We pay really well, we pay really well when we fire one, so I do think we can still hire name, top managers. But one issues is we have already hired and fired so many of them, who is left and available, and, as you say the way we have operated, with Emenalo, Marina, Board, exercising so much first team transfer control over the manager, while indulging each with a couple, hinders pursuing some of the top ones.

But our manages usually leave with $$$ and a trophy.
    from article cited above:
    "In fact, no Chelsea manager hired by the Russian has been in charge for a full season and not won a trophy; and the Blues have never gone more than one season without winning a trophy in his reign."

17. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well we all the know the problem issues with being a manager of Chelsea. We can dwell on the negative. But Chelsea managers win trophies. Even Sarri won the ONLY trophy of his career while being a Chelsea manager. Chelsea has a squad of great players and a wealth of players on loan and a lot of talented youth players to coach. Chelsea Football club also pays their managers decent wages - more than they would get elsewhere most likely. Chelsea FC is in the Champions League.

Forget the problems, what is the solution?

what are the managerial solutions that you blokes want?

I get it, you feel it is too soon for Frank.

Who do you want to be the manager of our great club?

Crawleybus and lobomojo repped this.
  18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a 1 in 1 out policy. We spent on Kepa cause Courtios forced our hand. Conte wanted to keep Matic but we had to sell as we brought in Baka. Jorgy was bought for Sarri and part of the deal to get Sarri in the first place. Morata came as Costa left. 1 in 1 out is generally the policy. We’re not flexing our financial muscle like United, City, Pool do or like we use to do when Roman took over.

FFP only seemed to slow Chelsea none of the other top clubs.

19. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, it's tough out there. And again - the fans will give Lamps HUGE leeway in terms of a first season especially with a transfer ban. That's one benefit.

Another thing about Lampard - the Championship is no ********ing picnic, man. It's not like he just got Scunthorpe relegated to League Two.

In terms of options:
    1. Simeone (no way he comes with a ban)
    2. Eddie Howe has been mentioned a lot.
    3. Erik ten Hag (He would need a lot of time to implement philosophy)
    4. Santo
    5. Joey Barton
    6. Ha

lobomojo repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The solution needs to be top down. We need for Roman to meddle less. We need for a real board to be in place. We need to a TD with a vision and the power to put it into affect. We need the funds to build a team to match that vision (even if it means eating a few contracts cause they don’t want to give up their wages). We patience to be able to build that in more than 1 season.

21. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Joey Barton, but ONLY if he brings in his mate Morrissey as an assistant.

22. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes, we can all concur with that as admirable long-term goals and maybe a lot of that depends on Roman. If Roman sells the club, then the new owners take that on board, IF Roman stays then he has to put in his money.

In the short-term we are currently a manager-less team, any thoughts on who you would like to see as our next manger?

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of my point is it doesn’t matter who we want. We want the best but we’re not going to get it until those things are in place.

Brock’s list is likely the best we can do. Tho Simeone wouldn’t come whether we have the ban or not. Maybe add Silva instead of his joke of Joey. I like the idea of Frank, hope it goes well but think it’s too much of a gamble on our current state.

24. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think if we were replacing Conte with Simeone it might have made sense, but Sarri has been moving us to play in a more creative direction and Simeone is in the other direction. I am very glad we are not going to get Simeone.

So, who do you think we should make our next manager?

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need to sort out more important issues than who the next manager is going to be otherwise it doesn’t really matter cause they’ll be gone at the end of the year.