Is Heaps Another Bust?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I just want to track back on this statement about all the teams who are worse than us. Do you still feel that we're better than all of those teams you listed only a week ago? I don't think we're even close to Dallas right now. Colorado and Chivas are far from impressive but still better than us IMO. Portland and Toronto is our only competition for last place, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one out of those two teams catches up to us in the standings (we're only 3 points out of last).

Kraft Out repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop it, you're being too realistic (aka whiny).

Crooked and cml1394 repped this.
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. Has this been added to the MLS Standings page? Do we get another point for this? ;)

4. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No difference in losing by 1 goal or 2 goals? Still got 0 points

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one-goal loss. Revs can continue to use their excuse.

6. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Honestly, given the way Heaps has been talking the last few postgames, I wouldn't be surprised if he steps down after this season. He still has better-paying options outside soccer, he might admit he gave it his best shot but is out of ideas.

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal differential is the second tiebreaker

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    LMAO!

9. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has always been the #2 tiebreaker and not once in MLS history has it been used to break a tie for the playoffs. It has been very unimportant in history of MLS. And with goals scored being the #1 tiebreaker now it will continue to be unimportant.

And that wasn't my point people keep using look they are close because they are only losing by one goal. You still get 0 points for a loss.

10. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys just don't "get it". This team is great and it's going to back into the playoffs, and those tiebreakers are gonna start mattering.

And if it's never been done before...well, Kraft is a Trendsetting Businessman

11. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm sorry, was that supposed to be funny?

12. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, mostly just the kind of depressing that comes from realizing that your hopes and dreams were built upon pillars of sand

13. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Was that supposed to be funny, too?

14. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to give Heaps another off season and another year..even if 2013 is our last..LOL
    It's very clear from 3/4 of a season that this experiment has failed..!

..give him his color job back and be done with it...

RevsRule and patfan1 repped this.
  15. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

Running a professional sports team is not the position for a first time coach. He has brought in a lot of people but has not put together a team that can produce any better results.... end of story is fail

RevsFanDan repped this.
  16. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not that, please. not that.

patfan1 repped this.
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    A lot of people think Ben Olsen is doing a fine job. And just about every team in MLS would jump on Jason Kreis if they could. So, to say it's not a job for a first time coach has been disproved at least a couple of times.

That's not to say that Heaps is of that ilk, but we shall see.

I was critical of his hiring and don't think he's doing very well at the moment, but he's convinced me enough of his character, intelligence and fortitude that I am convinced he will turn himself into a very good coach (like the two mentioned above) if he's given the time.

The possession game of this team has improved dramatically under his leadership and I've felt that is a necessary step in getting competitive again. The next challenge is getting the payoff from all that possession on the scoreboard (which would take a lot of the pressure off the defense). I don't know if Heaps knows how to do that, but I have little doubt that he'll figure out how - if not this season, then in the off-season.

18. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that it was Coach Stalin who said "lose by one it's a tragedy; lose by five it's a statistic".

Sachem07 repped this.
  19. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly..!

We went from a 10 year legend of MLS, Nicol to a color guy and former, so-so defender, Heaps? Really??

And, weren't we supposed to be making a change from the old school to a real winning side?
    So Krafty, in his infinite wisdom, goes out and gives the coaching spot to a guy he probably had never ever sat down and had a nice long talk with? Why? Because "some" college b-ball coach(yea, "SOME"..don't give a flying cazzo who he is) calls Bobby boy and gives Heaps a "recommendation"? Really??

I know most of you are like..Hey, I'm a good fan and I think we should give Heaps a chance(wahh wahh wahh) We might even win half of the rest of our 10 games and everyone will be, Yay! Heaps is the savior..!

Not! Experiment is over... Kiddie game is down the street..down the street!

pwykes repped this.
  20. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The only reason they would even consider going down that path is because it's been successful for some other MLS teams (while many coaches with extremely impressive resumes and track records of success around the world have failed miserably in MLS).

And, FWIW, the fact that Heaps was a so-so defender (you're being generous IMO) has no real bearing on his coaching potential. In fact, many people feel that the players who carved out a reasonably long career with marginal talent may be best equipped for coaching - they've already learned about getting the most out of the least and survived by intelligence, adaptability and determination.

22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed. On the flip side, I was disappointed that just because he played for, "studied" and then got a recommendation from Coach K did not mean he was going to be Coach K which was what broadcasters and journalists were spewing early in the season. That talk has dried up awfully fast.

We are 17 points out of a playoff spot.

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big difference being the owners and FO. Heaps was set up for failure simply because he works under two people that have a proven track record of incompetence and an Absentee owner

RevsFanDan and NFLPatriot repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If you believe that, then it probably wouldn't matter who was coach.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why when Heaps was hired, I asked this...
    Because #1 at the end of the day was the biggest component. Without giving him the money/authority to spend, he didn't really have much of a chance to succeed.