Is calcio dead?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Gatorbomb, Jun 24, 2014.

1. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #76 phat, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    You're barking up the wrong tree with me. But I will entertain you for a little. Ber4ardi, Marrone and Zaza to name a few. All Juve owned, I can also mention more than a few that are born and raised in Torino and are/were first team players coming out of their academy recently. More then any other Italian team and only recently equaled by Bayern out the big clubs in EU.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  2. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Excellent I look forward to them appearing for Juve in future Serie A and CL fixtures.

3. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You sir have recognized the obvious. Ital-Juve is the problem because those players are either past their expiration date or just not good enough hence the reason why Italy have failed miserably two world cups in a row. In the past they got credit when Italy won so they should take the blame when it goes it wrong.

4. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well now with brazil 7-1 loss at home, spain losing 5-1, portugal losing 4-0.....italy shouldnt be ashamed of anything

5. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I could not completely disagree more.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agreed. There is not one club team in either Sere A or B who would have lost by 6 goals.

Daei_10 repped this.
  7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Brazil's melt down in 6 minutes, should not take the pressure off our own issues that need correcting. Complacency is not an option. Who cares what the others do, it's time to get back to winning!

Scorp redded repped this.
  8. Toro89

Toro89 Member+

Jul 6, 2014
    Southern Italy
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Only one man can save italian soccer [​IMG]

Falc repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. Toro89

Toro89 Member+

Jul 6, 2014
    Southern Italy
    Club:
    Torino FC
    jerrito repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Da campioni ai bidoni! :)

Toro89 repped this.
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here are some worthwhile changes that Serie A can implement that will motivate clubs to invest in youth and which will increase Italian youth participation in the Serie A. All of which can be done without violating European labour laws:
    • Bundesliga teams operate under tight restrictions on the use of debt for acquisitions (a team only receives an operating license if it has solid financials).
    • The German Football Association (DFB) and the Bundesliga mandate that all clubs run a youth academy.
    • The DFB have a system of fines and points deductions for clubs who flout rules and those who go into the red can only buy a player after selling one for at least the same amount.
    Investing in foreign talent is more successful (short term) but has its financial risks, it is cheaper to develop local talent but it pays off over the longer term.

Most clubs companies etc focus more on short term results, these rules make it harder to do so.

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Are there a number of Italian clubs that do not have youth academies? The problem has been not promoting their youth products.

Calcio Pauly, Toro89 and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  14. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Siena and Padova bankrupt
    By Football Italia staff

Siena and Padova have officially gone bankrupt after failing to register for theSerie B and Lega Pro seasons.

In Italy each club must prove its financial stability before beginning a new campaign and failure to do so results in not being registered for the season.

Siena had been on the verge of collapse for several years, as their main backers the Banca Montepaschi di Siena were caught up in a financial scandal.

President Massimo Mezzaroma resigned earlier this month in order to help find a new buyer quickly, but Siena could not be saved.

They missed today’s deadline to provide paperwork covering taxes and unpaid wages, as their debts amounted to €70m (£56m).

Siena had been founded in 1904 and were in Serie A most recently in 2012-13.

The club title can be bought by a new owner, but they’ll have to begin again from Serie D.

Padova failed to register for the Lega Pro campaign after their relegation, so will be able to resume under a new owner from the amateur Leagues.

Padova Calcio were founded in 1910 and were most recently in Serie A in 1995-96.

Grosseto were also at risk, but were able to prove their solidity before the deadline.

It now remains to be seen whether a club will be plucked from Lega Pro to fill in for Siena or the division reduced.

15. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Vergognatevi.

16. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would agree, but we did not make it out of the first round in 2010 either. Two consecutive tournaments along with players arguing etc...We are 4 time champions, no?

17. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A comparison of champion by league:
    ------------Nationals in team--------Total U25 Nationals---------Av age of national
    Juventus:---------5--------------------------0------------------------------32
    Bayern:-----------6--------------------------3------------------------------25.5
    PSG:---------------1--------------------------0------------------------------27
    Atletico:----------5---------------------------1------------------------------27.8
    Man City:--------1---------------------------0------------------------------27
    Ajax:--------------5--------------------------4-------------------------------23

Why is Italy so far behind Germany in promoting youth for NT readiness?
    I don't "blame" the clubs it is not their responsibility to develop players for the NT. It is the role of the club to win titles and sell season tickets.

The FIGC is responsible for developing the framework which should incentivise behaviour by clubs which promotes youth. The German system does exactly that.

The problem is that Serie A would weaken if access to foreign players was restricted. But again this would only be over the short to medium term.

This is essentially a power struggle between clubs and the FIGC which at the moment clubs are winning.

Deleted User x repped this.
  18. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    A lot of interesting comments and points made. I think talk revolving around the demise of Italian soccer is greatly exaggerated.

Some commenters brought up the economic issues - yes, I definitely believe the crisis is having an impact on calcio. However, it is certainly not the national team that is being affected.

A decline in the competitiveness of Serie A teams in Europe is largely attributable toward the economic crisis. Not that these rich folk don't have the money to spend on teams - they'd rather spend it on other things.

Plus, let's examine the teams that have done well in Europe - either full of spending and debt (Real Madrid, Barca) or rich foreign ownership (Chelsea, PSG, Man City). The Germans are an exception because the German economy is the strongest in Europe and their attendance/revenues are through the roof as a result.

Serie A hasn't attracted that foreign ownership in large numbers (except Roma) and due to economic reasons and Financial Fair Play, many of the top teams can no longer afford the best players in the world.

So, Serie A is struggling with revenue issues, attendance declines, the lack of retaining top foreign talent and even the inability to hold on to great Italian players (Verratti, Sirigu, Immobile, Criscito).

In the years preceding the economic crisis:
    2003 - 3 of 4 teams in Champions League Semi Final are Italian
    - first all Italian final - Milan beats Juve
    2005 - Milan loses in final
    2006 - Italy wins World Cup
    2007 Milan wins Champions League again
    2010 (just after crisis) - Inter wins Champions League

So, its quite evident that since the economic downturn and the rise of super spending clubs, Italian clubs have suffered. It's pretty evident that nowadays if you have the money, you will generally dominate. Teams like Atletico Madrid are temporary blips while long term spenders Real, Barca, Chelsea, PSG will become the consistently successful teams.

The national team actually has a brighter future than most think. Yes, eliminations in two consecutive group phases at World Cups is horrible. But, the Italian player pool is deep and the passion amongst youngsters for future growth is still there.

Plus, everyone seems to have forgotten that Italy reached the U-21 Euro Final not so long ago. So, the talent is there for future generations.

Plus, Italy's senior squad reached both the Euro final and Confed Cup 3rd place in the past few years - so, it's not been a total decline.

I actually think England or Brazil are in much deeper problems than Italy. If Serie A isn't the "best league in the world" - that's more than fine. Right now "best" is defined as having the most money and buying the top talent without regard to youth development or fielding players from your own country.

The Premier League can take place in any country in the world, it's "English" identity is basically being lost with the exception of the physical locations that the teams represent.

This economic crisis (in combination with limits on foreign talent) may lead to an improvement in La Nazionale - as youngsters will hopefully get a chance to play more and shine.

jerrito repped this.
  19. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    i agree with most of your post
    but i dont agree with this, napoli signed verratti but fcuk face mazzarri wanted to send him on loan because he's a chiciken shit manager, torino could have kept immobile but they cleary wanted to cash in but why wasnt he given a decent chance to be the focal point of attack previously? criscito was wanted by napoli but was asking for more money than what lavezzi and hamsik were earning and he simply did not deserve that fee, no one went for sirugu but not because they couldnt afford him,

and here lay the problem with calcio, we have incompentent people in roles who shape our football, old fashioned chicken shit managers who have no faith in the young or cant spot talant and go with old foreigners who dont even get them great results, we need a new breed of managers, thankfully in 20 years coksucker managers like mazzarri will be extinct in italy

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  21. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I tried to ask my cousins about what everyone is saying after the first round exit and this is what they say....

23. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I find it extremely frustrating that Italians are throwing their hands up in the air and saying "meh".

With this shit attitude mark my words the worst is yet to come for calcio.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was the same thing when I lived therein 2002 after Italy was eliminated by Korea. In the end, most fans care more about their club team rather than the national team.

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    but you can love both.

There have been times in the past (after '66 for example) when league officials made administrative changes to the league to promote local talent. As long as the same rules apply to all teams in Serie A it shouldn't matter.

Although Serie A would weaken in Europe, but that's happening anyway.

edit: And if Italians don't care why did we have the 3rd most expensive coach at the WC.

jerrito repped this.