Is calcio dead?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Gatorbomb, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I keep hearing that it's illegal having those types of quotas in the EU. Major decisions about Italy are not made by Italians anymore. They are made in Belgium by unelected officials.

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Why do the rags quote them so often. Either they get a blog or sign up for an account with BS if they have something to say.

ctruppi repped this.
  3. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah I had considered that possibility. Strange that everyone agrees it's the right thing to do but nothing happens.
    Those guys hate anything that even smells of 'nationalism'.

4. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There you go. Everything that is wrong with the modern industry in one news bit.
    30 yrs old. 7 caps with Argentina. Plays in Mexico with Monterrey.
    Now, you tell me why we can't bring Camporese back from the Cesena loan and start him at 21-22 yrs of age instead of buying this guy. (may turn out to be great, but that isn't the point)

Basanta, offerta di 3,2 milioni, il Monterrey vuole 4 milioni. C'è il si del giocatore
    • Pubblicato il: 27 Giu 2014
    • Autore: Redazione Fiorentina.it

[​IMG]
    Altri sviluppi rispetto al probabile trasferimento del difensore argentino Josè Basanta dai messicani del Monterrey alla Fiorentina. In questo momento ballano circa 800 mila dollari: i viola offrono circa 3,2 milioni, la richiesta è di quattro milioni secchi. Basanta ha già detto si ai viola, è un centrale di sinistra seguito con grande attenzione: piace per personalità e rapidità. E adesso non resta che definire gli ultimi dettagli, la Fiorentina ha molta fiducia. Così riporta ancora Alfredo Pedullà.

5. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

30 years old? Monterrey? Really?

6. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    really we dont need to limit foreigners, we just need the people in calcio to stop being retards and only buy good foreigners or ones that fill positions they cant find suitable italians for them,

a lot of our youngsters are going on loan, these youngsters are 22-24 years old, this is a joke, they should be in the 1st team squad at that age,

7. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    The money isn't there because the infrastructure isn't up to snuff with the rest of the top leagues in Europe. England has modern, world class stadiums. Germany has modern, world class stadiums. France is building a plethora of modern, world class stadiums. Portugal has a few modern, world class stadiums. Real Madrid and Barcelona make an incredible amount of TV money and get 70,000+ every single game and are in the process of renovating their stadiums. Attendance in the Serie A has been dwindling year after year after year. Juve and Roma have made the right steps in building a new stadium in order to increase revenue which will enable them to strengthen the club with key transfers and be able to pour more money into their academies which is critical to the future of Italina football. Milan and Inter are bleeding money playing in the San Siro, and one bad year each has crippled the clubs as CL money was making up for an abundance of lost match day revenue which was barely able to keep them afloat. Now without the champions league we see them struggling mightily. Terrible match day revenue, no Champions League money, an ancient stadium which isn't pleasant for watching a football match in this day in age and it's a recipe for disaster.

It's the reason why Serie A is on the down turn, the stadiums aren't where they need to be which means the revenue and attendance cannot match the other top leagues who just so happen to have incredible academies right now. It's not a coincidence.

jerrito repped this.
  8. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #58 Pietro Calcio, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    attendance in serie a has always been a problem...for the last 20 years...

Italian football is much less regional when compared to Spain, England where their fans are more willing to support the local town in abundance. Where as in Italy most people in Campagnia would more support Napoli or even Juventus over a town like Avellino or Benevento where they live and are from. In Italy many people from all over the country support different teams. Juve is a big example, as more of their fans are from southern Italy. Juve sells better in away matches in the south.

Also a big part of it is the price of tickets. Many Italians don't really have the money and/or they are not willing to spend it compared to England and Spain. Culturally Italians are more content to watch on TV compared to England and Spain where going to the match is seen as more special. Not the case really in Italy anymore unless a derby.

And last but not least the Ultras/Violence have stopped many families going to games.

Mainly in Italy only the derbies will sell well.....Italy has to find ways to correct these problems.

jerrito and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  9. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    tv and delinquents are one of the main reasons for poor attendances, i believe abother problem is dinosaurus managers, would you really be willing to pay to go and watch chievo for example? even if you're a fan you'd surely after a certain would just think this is shit why am i torturing myself, you support a club because you enjoy football, we need a little montella's and a little less mazzarri's.

we have to find a way to make the games more attractive to people who arent morons and erradicate the douchebags without killing the true ultras and atmosphere like they've killed it in england

10. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Those two teams are also alleged to owe a few hundred million each in unpaid taxes. There are also investigations about those two and two other teams in Spain getting EU bailout money to the tune of 1.2 billion. La Liga is a house of cards.

Calcio Pauly and el napulitan repped this.
  11. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    completely true...and waiting to fall

12. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    #62 Deleted User x, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    totti fan repped this.
  13. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #63 Garibaldi, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Until we start scouting and developing brilliant playmakers in our youth system and Italian league, we will suffer for a long time. We have been spoiled and become lazy by importing all these players from other nations ( all very good by the way - this is why some of our players tend to look good when they play for there respective teams, but put them together - useless ). Look at what is happening now, we have become dependent on players from Latin America and Africa to make our game.

I've been saying it for hundreds of years...and frankly I still cant believe a nation like Italy have not figured this out! with all their brains and tactical awareness. The game of football is won in midfield!!!! Control the midfield and you've got the game in your hand....The focus is all creative attacking midfield - the link between feeds and creating spaces with the balls to the front.

Why do you think Brazil, Argentina, Holland and Spain are doing well ... they field some of the most brilliant playmakers around ( Messi ) - and attacking mids to boot plus, some heavy duty attacking forwards. ( Please have someone shout this idea out over in Italia PLEASE! - bunch of knuckle heads).

Italia has all the technicality and flare like our south american brothers ..but - the big but! is that the italian league, clubs and federation have stifled our Italian midfield and attacking play - we encourage ball pushers basically and have you noticed that our players dont't know how to challenge and dribble past players, they are completely useless with the ball when it comes to dribbling and shooting - these are the players that we are putting on the field - my god what a shame.

This is why when we ( Italians ) watch our game = we suffer and become nervous wrecks. The games don't flow - there is no creativity being played out. Its all counter attack style and defending more or less. Its a lazy way of getting the points ( although it works well in theory but in tactic why do all the work yourself when you can get the other team to do all the work and then you come from behind and snatch the goal ) This is very Italian in nature - sneaky and slick.

I cant believe that we haven"t figured this one out yet - Brazil have shown us over and over throughout the years how to do it...if that system of play works then it must be good! The funny thing is that they are now learning how to defend and goal keep very well from us and we haven't learned a god damn thing from the best teams or nations that play a brilliant progressive game.

BTW, I've been enjoying this world cup tournament in Brazil very much and I feel sad, disappointed and upset that our beloved Italia is not playing and it ********ing sucks!!!!

Viva La Roma
    Viva L'Italia

jerrito, ArtemioD and totti fan repped this.
  14. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I was just on the Udinese website and saw that the roster for the 2014/15 season only has 7 Italians out of a total of 29 players. Another 7 players are Brazilian. I know it's not the clubs responsibility to groom players for the Italian NT so it's up to the FIGC to make a plan.

15. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I agree the midfield is important but it's not that we don't produce technical/dribbling/creative type players... it's that most of them become second-strikers rather than play as attacking midfielders. Most teams today are reluctant to use even 1 SS, but they'll put 3 AM's on-- the difference being mostly workrate.

It's good to see that more and more, players like El-Sha, Insigne etc are being forced to work more in the midfield and then hopefully contribute more.

16. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, I haven't been reading this section much. But I found this interesting regarding youth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jerrito, falvo, Scorp redded and 2 others repped this.
  17. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It sounds a bit like what they are protesting about in Brazil. "Hey I don't have a job and I can't afford to feed my kids but at least my football team is successful."

When it comes down to it social justice should be prioritised over calcio.

If I was living in Italy I would be more focused on the nations politics and economics at the moment because therein likes the real cause of the problems with calcio.

jerrito repped this.
  18. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Seems like just an all around mess.

19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You need to start somewhere.

Failing that, burn stuff.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  20. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #70 phat, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    It's not that complicated. The top teams coaching staff and management tell their youth academies and scouts what type players they need and the development and molding begins. In the last decade or more AMs have not been a priority because they aren't used. Creativity is not needed, role players are.

It is not a money issue nor a lack of talent issue nor a coaching or development issue. But more related to concentration on specific needs of a what a club needs today. Now if you take out of few of the garbage teams that should never be in Serie A and then allow clubs to have a second team you immediately release pressure from the development aspect and allow a wider range of players competing in a structured pro league and who are already harden. The A club also needs a smaller squad, suffers less injuries, is more competitive and less expensive to maintain. They also will profit more from sales of youth.

As far as the FIGC is concerned the other main issue would be to sell the league internationally, meaning they need to modernize it. I firmly believe English broadcasts and pre and post match in English is required. Not that they eliminate Italian but sell the rights to a secondary English broadcaster for an international audience. They could double the TV revenues for the teams.

21. Toro89

Toro89 Member+

Jul 6, 2014
    Southern Italy
    Club:
    Torino FC
    I'm Italian. I'm very very disappointed by this Italy. Calcio is not dead,FIGC is dead. The system is old. Back home the "senatori": Buffon,Pirlo,Cassano. Why Cassano Why? Cassano is a flop. This "Ital-Juve" is a very flop. I wanna Mancini..or Guidolin ;) Sorry for my english.

Garibaldi repped this.
  22. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With the avatar that you have I'm surprised that you think that money is not an issue.

Rubbish in, rubbish out. If you don't invest in the youth academies then of course the quality that it produces will diminish. You have some other good points but money makes the world go round and impacts just about everything we see and do. Calcio is no different.

Do you really think it a coincidence that the wealthiest Eurozone countries are the ones that have progressed furthest in the tournament: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium etc.

23. Anthony212

Anthony212 Member

Aug 8, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok what's with all these reports of all these new foreign players (Ashley Cole, Coman, Yedlin, etc..) coming to Serie A? I'm all for making our clubs stronger, but at this rate no Italian team will have Italian starters.

24. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Italian teams have invested in their academies. They have developed very good talent recently and in the past. Academies are not expensive, hence money not the issue. The issue is the system because the vast majority of the players don't get consistent playing time in pro leagues. They are usually loaned out or sold to another club and playing in a completely different system then where the grew up. If they are kept in the same system and with the same team unit in a pro league their development would further instead of stalling or worst.

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What under 25 Italians would you like to see in the Juve first XI?