Irish Home Kit

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by Chicago1871, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize for having to ask this question here, but I'm out of ideas.

I'll admit that this is partially due to an upcoming holiday here in the states, but it is also due to the fact that I feel guilty. I have a US National Team home shirt. I have the home shirt of Holland. I do not have the home shirt of Ireland. Two out of three of my heritage isn't bad, but it isn't good enough, so I went in search of a long sleeve Ireland home shirt.

Turns out they're pretty much impossible to find. I'm curious if anyone knows why this might be. I can find the away kits (short and long sleeve) in two seconds flat. I have even stumbled across a short sleeve home kit. But the long sleeve home kit has thus far eluded me. Does anyone know (1) why it is so hard to find a home l/s shirt, and (2) where I might find one?

Any advice or tips would be greatly welcomed

2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I am usually vehemently against you people (USA/MLS fans) but I will make an exception because you are a fellow Chicagoan...I admit I only read the post because I saw Chicago, if I had seen 1871 immidiately (the year of the Fire for you non-Chicagoans) I may have had 2nd thoughts. Luckily I saw your signature and I like Chris Cohen's songs as well.
    Anyway, this is what I have to guess is the reason. I don't believe it ever really gets cold enough in Ireland to force them into wearing the long sleeves (certainly not as cold as its been here over the past few weeks). I remember we wore them away in San Marino which was played in February last year, but not against Brazil earlier this month in Febraury. The only time I can find us wearing long sleeves in the past few years was Stan's first match (against Sweden), and only a few players had them on (Stephen "Sleeves" Elliott for one, Liam Miller another). I was there a week before that match, I was bundled up and it felt pretty cold though its just because of the wind (which we have no shortage of ;)). They told me it was colder than usual though.

P.S. Support a real team, like the Blackhawks :) (Or the Cubs or Bears, though they aren't in season, Wolves are worthwhile as well).

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    1st piece of advice - not everyone on these boards is an asshole. ;)

Anyway, I would suggest waiting as there's a new shirt being issued. It has been used only once, but as Ireland hasn't qualified for the Euros, I believe getting the new kit into the stores is not a high priority of Umbro.

You will find a long-sleeved one, but in all my years of supporting Ireland, I have to admit, they have been few and far between. I suspect, from anecdote, that you might have to arrange to get one from a retail outlet in Ireland rather than online, which makes no sense I know, but then again, you are dealing with the FAI.

4. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Worm!!!

I never heard such shite!! It's always cold here. Players have the choice of whether they want to wear long sleeves or not no matter the weather. JOS always wears long sleeves and Dunnie always short for eg.

I don't know wear online you could get a jersey but I could and would get one in a local store if you wanted.

5. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Go with the away kit it's a quality strip and it has some green in it if that's your sole basis for needing it. It's actually got much more detail and design as opposed to the home kit.

6. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...y/graph/EIXX0014?from=36hr_bottomnav_business

That is not cold (its 13 degrees right now, Fahrenheit here). If you are playing football in 40 degree weather with no long sleeves and some Under Armour you will be fine (trust me, I did it not half a year ago and since we were playing nearly on the Lake the windchill was a big factor too). Of course it does get colder, but internationals are rarely played from December through January (February is uncommon as well) so you miss the coldest times anyway.

This is Chicago, which certainly not the coldest place in the USA
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...y/graph/USIL0225?from=36hr_bottomnav_business

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Paul McGrath nearly always played in long sleeves.

Oh and please f**ck off with your knowledge, or lack thereof, of Irish weather. As Malby says it is cold. There's a dampness in the air in Ireland which does make feel colder than Chicago - and yes I've lived in both. Of course it can get colder in the winter from a temperature point of view in Chicago, but I'll take that anyday over a damp, wet November afternoon in Dublin.

And all of this is pretty much moot anyway given that short sleeves/long sleeves, who cares as it is the players choice PLUS the OP asked for a long sleeved shirt.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice (and weather reports) thus far.

That's my fall back plan. Though I always feel that the home kit (of any jersey) is the one to go for.

9. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    never a truer word spoken:mad:

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about piss-poor marketing. Making the kit available the afternoon of St. Patricks Day (two days after people would have been wearing it en masse)? Very smooth. Frankly, I'm happy Eurosport didn't want my $90, it was ultimately better spent elsewhere.