Ireland v Georgia - Pre/In/Postmatch Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Jan 19, 2009.

1. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I thought Doyler was motm myself.

That was bad form by Dunphy, highlighting mistakes by Whelan. The lad is still young.

2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah I too thought Doyle was our best player, Duff and McGeady behind him. About SIreland, if he suddenly says he wants to come back, I don't think Trap will automatically drop the players who have gotten the results so far.

3. BanglaBlue

BanglaBlue Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    The 10 mins after the first Keane goal showed some lovely football by the boys in green. The sloppy opening goal defined the whole game; if Ireland hadn't given that away I think they would have won very easily. Georgia were really quite rubbish. Trap was going bonkers on the sideline the whole game. McGeady and Duff were very good, and Doyle was gritty. Ireland were always set to pull away in the last 20 mins superior conditioning kicked in. So on the one hand; dodgy penalty and disallowed Georgia goal, on the other hand Georgia were outplayed easily.

Very few empty seats at Croke park and a loud crowd. Hill 16 empty due to Fifa rules. Heavens, that is a lovely stadium.

I was shocked however that there was no alcohol for sale!

bb

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    First half goal was wrongly disallowed and Doyle deserved a clear penalty in the first half.

So I'll take that phantom penalty call.

Duff and McGeady were great. The Georgian defense had no answers.

Whelan and (obviously) Kelly were the weak links IMO.

Whelan wasn't terrible, but it would have been nice to have Stephen Ireland or Andy Reid as an option to get the goals needed.

Eitherway, 3 points is good, all we needed.

5. juicethps

juicethps New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    CFB Borden
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    great match, some ups and downs but over all a positive outcome with giving us some important points to put us at the top of the qualifying group with italy...

great play by doyle .. keane is the man as always .. and yea go ireland!!!

6. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    LOL!!! The only time I got alcohol there was for an American football match.

Of course that was at the time there was no foreign sports allowed :confused:

7. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Speaking of alcohol at matches it's a rarity for people here in Ireland.

I remember vividly going to Basle for a Euro qualifier and I was queueing up for some food before match and saw they had beer!! They had an offer if you bought six, so of course I bought 12!! I struggled to lug them all back to my seat but was treated like a hero by my mates so that made up for it. Of course it was later we discovered that they were non-alcoholic beers!!

8. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    non alcoholic beers???? thats a travesty if ive ever heard one lol