Ireland Cricket World Cup Discussion

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by Voodudejnr, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Well, despite my previous prognostications, Ireland have started very well against England. 117-4 and England apparently there for the taking according to some reports.

2. Passage

Passage Member

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    Wow. Keep us updated!

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    128-4 with England looking uncomfortable by some accounts. Ed Joyce, the Irishman playing for England, was first man out for 1 run scored, btw.

4. Voodudejnr

Voodudejnr New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I heard somewhere Ed Joyce use to play for us? If so how come he's with England?

33 overs - 139-4

5. Simo™

Simo™ New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    London, UK
    He decided that for his international cricket opportunities, Ireland wasnt the place and he spent I believe it was 3 or 5 years playing in the English county scene without pulling on the pads for the Irish. Therefore he became an English citizen and is now an English cricketer. Good choice 4 or 5 years ago but Ireland are making a little run at the moment, they are improving and Joyce was the player that would of pushed them and improved them even more then what they are.

But couldnt do much today, terrible judgement of his ball but still a solid ball.

Go the Irish :)

-Simo

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    He's not English and didn't become an English citizen :rolleyes: - no such thing, btw - he qualified under the residency rule. He played for Ireland as recently as 2005.

Bottom line, Test cricket is where it's at in cricket - these One Day Internationals and Twenty/20s and even this World Cup are nice, but if you have aspirations to being a serious cricketer, you play Test cricket. Joyce is good enough to play and went with England as Ireland don't play Test cricket. Interestingly, his first game for England was against Ireland and his brother played for Ireland in Stormont.

Anyway, England with a fight back, now 159-4.

7. Simo™

Simo™ New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    London, UK
    I stand corrected, I thought you couldnt play for your country for at least 3 years before changing to a new country. Thanks for clearing that up Sam.

4-172

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    England pulling away, 226-5, 47 overs. That lead is not insurmountable for Ireland, but if England's bowling is even mediocre, it'll be a tough haul for Ireland.

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    239-5, 47.5 overs.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    266 runs for 7 wickets, 50 overs bowled with England scoring 5.32 runs per over.

That's it for England and Ireland must better those numbers. A very tall order for Ireland. My prognostications just might be back on track. A close loss looks to be as much as they can achieve. Still, it is in their hands.

11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    England got 94 from the last 10 overs.

that is an insane amount of runs to score from the last 10

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yeah, 6s were being served up faster than 6 packs.

Anyway Ireland all out for 218. England by 48 runs. About what you'd expect.

13. freesoccer

freesoccer New Member

Feb 8, 2007
  14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Ireland were destroyed and whumped by South Africa and New Zealand; no huge surprise there as those two should/will make the semis. The only chance of winning a game (and not finishing bottom of the Super 8) is to beat Bangladesh, the next worst team, but they've already beaten South Africa.

As I said earlier, Ireland's best hope will be a close loss; barring a miracle, and they might even need two, they will finish bottom. But there's no huge shame there as they are the only non-Test side in the Super 8.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, next up, Australia, only the best team in the world. Oh, well........

15. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It doesn't really matter thoughh does it? I'm sure that those concerned with cricket are absolutely delighted with how they've raised awareness of the game here.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Betcha the players aren't quite so nochalant about this......

17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    They got absolutely hockeyed by Australia today; I'm not sure that it was ever more than batting practise for the Aussies. On the plus side, at least we don't have to listen to the Aussies whinge for now, anyway......;)

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Well, whaddya know? Potential upset of Bangladesh on the cards.

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Ireland beat Bangladesh, convincingly, winning by 74 runs. That's a real win.

Big upset really, and Ireland now have gained permanent One Day International status. Impressive stuff. With one game to play - Sri Lanka - there's no way they will make the semis, but then again, they never were anyway. But any victory in the Super 8 was always going to be an upset. Maybe Bangladesh is not of the order of Pakistan, but in this WC, Ireland have beaten 2 Test sides and drawn with a 3rd. That's a decent standard.

20. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
  21. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    A monumental whumping by Sri Lanka to end the tournament for Ireland. In beating Bangladesh and keeping England close for a bit, they did somewhat better than expected, but the losses to New Zealand, Australia and Sri Lanka show how much work they have to do.

22. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Ireland will be on the official ICC One Day rankings, since they beat two Test playing nations. I think Kenya are the only other team on their that is a non-Test playing team.

23. Voodudejnr

Voodudejnr New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Anyone got clips of Trent Johnstone doing the funky chiken or the other guy (forgot his name) doing his dance.