Ireland Cricket World Cup Discussion

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by Voodudejnr, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Passage

Passage Member

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    How big of an upset was this exactly? I don't follow cricket.

2. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Something akin to Japan beating Australia at rugby, from what I gather. Or San Marino beating Ireland at soccer...

3. Passage

Passage Member

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    Wow, pretty big hehe.

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    It's difficult to make an exact analogy here. Pakistan are ranked #4 in the world in ODI (one day internationals) and are a former winner ('92). In regular test cricket, they are pretty formidable and certainly would be up there with Australia and England; but Australia are absolute top dog in both ODI and Test. Pakistan are ranked #4 in ODIs and #3 in Test cricket. Ireland are ranked #13 in ODIs and don't play Test cricket.

But what you are looking to capture is the idea of a complete minnow upsetting a proven heavyweight on the world stage. Many have said that Ireland's victory was the biggest upset in cricket ever.

But if you're looking for a sporting analogy think perhaps of the shock when Ireland beat England in the EC in '88, but that doesn't take into account that Ireland were a decent side then and had some good results under their belt. North Korea's victory over Italy in the '66 WC comes close. Buster Douglas over Tyson in Tokyo. Maybe USA over England in the '50 WC.

5. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland

I'd gotten that impression; that's why I went for the rugby analogy since there are very few real, shocking upsets (Italy winning in the VI Nations doesn't count). Japan, or the US, or Spain beating Australia/NZ/France would be major. The San Marino reference was really just a jibe :)

6. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What is Test cricket compared to ODI?

7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Test cricket matches are 5 days long. both teams bat twice and try to score as many runs as they can. however, sometimes a team can only bat once and score more runs then when the other teams bats twice.

they play for 5 days. i think there are 3 sessions each day, about 2 hours each with breaks of 40 minutes for lunch and 20 minutes for tea. they play these matches during the day, but will use the lights at the grounds if it is cloudy (but if it is too dark play will be halted)

ODI matches are a set number of overs, being 50 overs. an over is 6 legal deliveries. so a team has 300 legal devliveries to score as many runs as they can unless 10 guys are out. there is also Twenty20 Cricket, where each team only gets 20 overs.

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    fyp! :D
    What's the highest score ever?

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  10. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    952-6 declared. Sri Lanka made that in their first innings in 1997 against India. decalred means the team agreed to let the other team bat, your forfeit your remaining wickets.

the highest aggregate (most runs over all 4 innings and least amount of wickets lost in 4 innings) was 1981-35 in a match between England and South Africa in 1935.

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Similar to a baseball team at bat with a big lead stopping with only 2 outs, so that the other team can bat & the game becomes official before it rains?

12. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, the US has beaten Brazil in soccer. It definitely happened several years ago. I don't remember the exact circumstances though. :p

Anyway, congrats to Ireland for their win over Pakistan. (I'm probably way too late in saying this by now.)

13. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    yeah. it you are up by enough, and since the game has a set time limit of 5 days, you want to try to be able to get a result. i think in the above example it ended in a draw (game went 5 days and one of the teams was still batting at the end)

14. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  15. Voodudejnr

Voodudejnr New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Why do they get bonus pionts?

16. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    each team gets 2 points for beating the other team in their group that makes the Super 8s.

the Super 8 is the second group stage. The top two teams in each group progress to the Super 8 round. each team plays every other team, so 7 matches. the top 4 are in the semis (1 v 4, and 2 v 3) then the winners in the final.

17. Voodudejnr

Voodudejnr New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Yes I knew that, it was just you said 2 bonus piont, so i thought you meant, if we won we'd get 2 pionts for the win and then 2 further pionts

18. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    well, both of these teams are going to the next round, so whoever wins gets the bonus points

Ireland made 183/8 from 48 overs. there was some rain, so they didn't get to bat all of the overs. the west indies have to hit 190 from 48 overs. why 7 more runs? I have no freaking idea.

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Ireland/England on Friday; realistically, in any of the upcoming games a close loss will be an achievement for Ireland, a draw a superb result and a win probably in fantasy land.

England are vulnerable, but to teams like Bangladesh, West Indies and South Africa. Ireland are not quite in that set yet. Still, you can live in hope.......:)

20. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Is it knock-out from here on out?

[/shamelessly too lazy to look it up]

21. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    nope, round robin. Top 4 make the semis

22. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Merci, go raibh maith agat und danke.

So it's a case of enjoying it while it lasts, eh?

23. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    yup, but you never know. The Irish could make some noise

24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No doubt, but they have certainly lost the element of surprise.