News: IRAQ vs QATAR - TO BE Re-Decided in "Cour of Arbitration for Sports - CSA"

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by hammad_friend, Sep 15, 2008.

1. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Better Late Than "Never" !!!

The above saying is coming true for Iraq and who knows, may be Qatar will be disqualified from the WC2010 Round 4 Qualifying matches even after playing 2 matches.

FIFA got it self into real mess now.

Read the below-mentioned report circulated on http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=864553

I am also pasting the same here and see the comments in bold:

15/09/2008 04:49
    Asian Debate: Should Qatar Be Banned From The World Cup?
    It’s developing into quite a mess but one thing is clear - the issue of whether Qatar should be allowed to qualify for the 2010 World Cup is not going to go away for some time to come.
    »Comments (97) Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us galleria zoom Qatar is a controversial nation in football terms. Its clubs are among some of the richest in Asia and have imported fine players from all over the world. There’s nothing wrong with that - few leagues don’t. Qatar however, has a less common zeal for naturalizing some of the best ones who then appear in the national team shirt before you can say “I have been a big fan Qatari football ever since I could kick a ball.”

It is hard to agree with such a practice but that is not the issue at stake here. The issue is also not whether Qatar fielded an ineligible player against Iraq in a vital 2010 World Cup qualifier earlier this year –that is not in dispute. The issue is whether Qatar should be punished for it.

It all started when Emerson (Marcio Passos De Albuquerque), a Brazilian-born recently-naturalised Qatari player, lined up for the Gulf nation in their 2010 World Cup qualifier against Iraq in March. He helped Qatar win 2-0. The result helped the team finish second in their group to progress to the final round of qualification for the 2010 World Cup. Iraq had three points less and were eliminated.

The problem is that, despite his Qatari citizenship, Emerson had represented Brazil at youth level and was ineligible to play for Qatar. Iraq complained, FIFA suspended the player but although the governing body’s own rules state that any team "found guilty of fielding an ineligible player shall forfeit the match in question" and "victory and the resultant three points will be awarded to the opposing team,” Qatar was cleared of any wrongdoing by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee which, at the same time, also said that: “the player is not eligible to play for Qatar and cannot play any further matches for the representative team of Qatar.”

According to FIFA, Iraq had to make the complaint no later than 24 hours before the match in question, not almost three months later. Qatar also claim that their background checks and research didn’t come up with anything suspicious. Adding to the confusion is the fact that in Brazil in 2006, Emerson was arrested for falsifying his age on his birth certificate.

Emerson may not be the most trustworthy of characters but it is Qatar’s responsibility to ensure that every player who pulls on the shirt is eligible to represent the nation on the football pitch. It is that simple. Such information may be hard to come by but that is no excuse.

Given that the win in which Emerson featured was responsible for Qatar finishing above Iraq in Group One and the end of the Asian Champion’s dreams of 2010, it is not surprising that authorities in Baghdad are peeved.

They have every right to be. The fact that Qatar are not the most popular team in Asia due to their naturalization policy should have no effect on this issue. The practice leaves a bad taste in the mouth but it is within current regulations. The reason why Qatar should not be allowed to play in the World Cup or qualification is because they have broken rules that are clearly stated - just because the complaints came later than FIFA stipulations allow, doesn't and shouldn't change that fact..

Despite FIFA's rulings, the issue is not yet over. With the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) currently considering the case and expected to make their decision known in two or three weeks, the situation could change. If so, expect a mighty mess as the final round of qualification has already started with Qatar leading their group after two matches played.

"We have demanded to postpone the matches in the group until the CAS take their decision," Ahmed Abbas, the general secretary of the Iraqi FA said last week before adding: "However, Qatar FA asked FIFA not to postpone the matches and, if CAS rule in our favour, then FIFA should be responsible for the consequences.”

It does the image of Asian football no favours. Qualification for the 2006 World Cup was marred with Bahrain and Uzbekistan’s controversial play-off and now this, a sorry state of affairs once again played out in full view of the world’s media.

It should not have been allowed to get this far but when it comes to doing the right thing it is better late than never. .

John Duerden

Asia Editor

john.duerden@goal.com

2. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    Would be nice if Iraq comes in.But I think that is just a rumor of some Iraqis maybe,Qatar played 2 matches.It is over.Forget it.

But would be great if Qatar and UAE cheaters would be kicked out.:D

3. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    LOL, Iraq have all righte to take Qatars place like it or not, and it wasnt 3 mounts later...anyway if Iraq make it true then it will change the view that mostly look at AFC

4. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria

true.:)

5. gambiano77

gambiano77 New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Here
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Goodluck to Iraq and the UAE. :cool:

6. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Oh please, don't tell me that you believe that.

7. nimrooo

nimrooo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 16, 2005
    screw qatar!

8. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm going to have to go with Qatar on this one. Seriously, Iraqis talking about fair play is as funny as S. Koreans complaining about bad referees. :D

9. nimrooo

Jan 16, 2005
    ^^^^ ha???
    you're not making sense! You didn't even touch the issue, which is whether or not Qatar cheated!

The fact that (according to you) Iraqis are cheaters, has nothing to do with the problem here.

10. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    All I'm saying is, it couldn't have happened to more deserving team. :p

11. nimrooo

Jan 16, 2005
    lol why??? I actually like the Iraqi team.
    They're one of the handful Arab teams that actually play the game instead of swimming all over the ground. They have really good players too!

12. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Ignore the Saudi haters, they have serious issues these days.

13. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq

You must be Joking righte? and the funny part its coming from a saudi, wasnt you the ones who mailed FIFA like 1 million time becouse Iraq u16 hade 1 overaged player that DIDNT even play one single match, and Iraq was first in the list and India behande,then Viola booom Iraq is gone and you have stolen our place......and now we are talking about WCQ

or are you still mad becouse Iraq won AFC and you didnt?

14. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    If you lose to Qatar home and away then you have no excuse to demand for a spot in the final round.

15. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Japan beat us in two Asian Cup finals, yet I have nothing but the utmost respect for their players. So, the answer to your question is 'no.'

Anyway, I don't know the details of the case or the applicable law, but from the article it seems you had your chance to lodge a timely complaint and blew it (I mean seriously, 3 months?!). Still, Western guilt might just win you guys this case after all. It's going to be interesting.

16. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Its something wieard when it Comes to play against Qatar, but when it comes to wahab..I mean saudi arabia then your no match for ous

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/statisticsandrecords/headtohead/team1=irq/team2=ksa/index.html

Dont belive everything you read, It was less then a mounth

17. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They do have some excellent players. I wish we had a midfielder as good as Nash'at Akram.

18. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :D

Habibi, believe me football matters at least a million times more to you than it does to us. The reason (as you've shown above) is because we see it as a sport while you see it as an outlet for your sectarian grudges. So, when you desperately try to get Qatar kicked out on a technicality after losing to them twice, it becomes very hard for me to sympathize. Plus it provides some amusement.

19. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq

Even IF we lost to them 98-0 both times, and they hade a player that played for Brazil u20 then all matches we be 0-3 to ous (He played one match)

20. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is that what the rules say, though? Are the rules available online? It seems to me that if the Qatari FA did not intend to violate the rules, then it wouldn't be fair to the Qatari players to throw them out as they did nothing wrong, but again that depends on what the rules say.

21. Laith

Laith Member

May 10, 2006
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Iraqis, dont get your hopes up...LMAO

22. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tou...wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

page 9 of 29 on the pdf
    "Any team that is found guilty of fielding an ineligible player shall forfeit the match in question. Victory and the resultant three points will be awarded to the opposing team as well as the score of 3-0, or greater, depending on the score of the match. The FIFA Organising Committee is the competent body to decide this regard."

23. nimrooo

Jan 16, 2005
    saudis aren't familiar with laws etc... As long as you can bribe, who needs laws!

24. Laith

Laith Member

May 10, 2006
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Hey nimroooo dont trouble yourself with trolling, you're on a yellow as of now. Wouldnt want to see you get a red on Saudi's account ;)

Look, its been months, the WCQ final round has been already in progress and Qatar has played 2 matches already. Due to logistical reasons I'm sure the statute of limitation expired. You see, FIFA is a professional world body, not some Iraqi or Iranian sham of a court, and when they make decisions they take into consideration many aspects. You guys think out of nowhere, they will just change Qatar's name with Iraq's and have the schedules change, the official list of lineups, and so on? Dont you think Qatari FA (and the other teams who played them) wont appeal any decision that might negatively affect them? Its good to dream, but I'm here to wake you guys up, Im the alarm clock :D

Again, I want to bet with any Iraqi or Irani about this... LOL LOL!

25. nimrooo

Jan 16, 2005
    I never said they're going to reverse anything!
    I just think it's funny how you guys defend the Qatari's!
    No rational human can justify Qatar and their pathetic attempt to make the wc at any ********ing way possible!