Intriguing Managers Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by reddevilmike, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #176 Ashur, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Will be refreshing to finally have a manager who will encourage the players to take a crack at goal. Can't score of you don't shoot.

Reports, I guess still unsubstantiated at this time, are claiming that Ole will be at the club until May, by which time he will subsequently return to Molde.

2. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    That's crap (the post above). Riding the bandwagon. Let's see what happens with Ole. I am not too high on it.

However, the players have it in their hands, they can still get the champions league qualification and make a run for the UCL (unlikely). They have nothing holding them back anymore.Don't forget the FA Cup.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #178 Ashur, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Not surprised that you would find that "crap": still hung up on a failed United manager, one with who shooting was strictly forbidden, lol...:whistling:

And what bandwagon are you referring? The expectations for this season are very low at this point. That's how bad Mourinho screwed things up. Top 4 is a dream we will not reach, more than likely will be out of the CL in the upcoming round. Yes, the FA Cup is left, but you I hope we don't win it, as it would punch our ticket into the EL for the following season and I don't want it. I'd gladly go trophyless one more season and start the following season with a clean slate, with a better chance at success.
    Ole is fine in the sense that he's got experience and knows full well what is expected and has the mentality to match it. If he's flanked by the likes of Phelan, Carrick and McKenna, it's a good group that hopefully will restore a more positive and United like atmosphere in the squad. Which is badly needed after Mourinho...

4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry, but OGS on the sidelines...my heart flutters. Can't wait until Saturday!

Futbol_Head, J'can, johno and 1 other person repped this.
  5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    OGS!!! He's a fan favourite for a reason. I'm excited. He's a great candidate for caretaker manager. He understands the club, he will have the respect of some players like Paul and Jesse who were in the youth team when he was manager. He's a recent enough player to relate to the guys as well. He's also positive. Ugh... he's like the complete opposite of Jose.

6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    You can't use the "your post was right after my post" argument when almost every single post is after one of your posts.

OGS. Well if nothing else he'll get a massive bounce from the witch being dead. I was worried it would be Carrick.

Fingers crossed we can at least find some pride and enjoy ourselves.

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i don't know why this keeps happening with him. he actively looks for conflict.

===========

anyway, i am happy with the appointment. i only hope the decision making process was not a fluke and there are actually wheels turning in a coordinated fashion to make the next moves.

this appointment is nice but who knows this could have been some guy's idea in a rant after a game. you'd hope not because it sounds farfetched but who knows with this current regime

johno and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Dont care if we have to pay £100 million..get Pochs at any cost.

10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First. What makes you think he wants to come here. Second. What makes you think we will get him.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Despite our recent position, anyone with half a brain knows that we're a bigger club and a more desirable destination than Spurs.

jeff070 repped this.
  12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's in a comfortable position at spurs now with a good team. If he comes here, he would have a daunting task of cleaning last 5 years garbage with huge pressure.

13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Not to mention he has been restricted by Levy of the spending.

We can attract any player, we have the stadium, the history, the marketing pull. The academy is performing excellently since Butt took over.

A six year deal for him. Keep him as long as possible.

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No more 6 year deals. If for whatever reason Poch doesn't work out we'll be in another Moyes situation. Give him a 3 year deal and extend it when he shows he's up for the job.

15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    As mentioned by fellow posters regardless of our failings since SAF we still signed Pogba Lukaku Martial Sanchez Fred. United is on top forbes list we have financial resources and fanbase across whole earth alongwith trophy cabinet ad rich history . We are global powerhouse that can pay top wages and attract top talent ££££ in last 12 months despite our struggles we managed to beat Citeh for Sanchez and Fred. Poch has financial costraints at spurs and IMO Poch and Spurs have given eachother everything hence "Saturation Point".

16. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I envision us getting Poch in the Summer and Eddie Howe will take over at Spurs with Scotty Parker being brought back to the club as an assistant.

jeff070 repped this.
  17. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Woodward probably has to sell his kidney to get poch.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't want to get my hopes too high yet, but I've got a good feeling about Pochettino as well. I think the time is right and not having any money last summer is only a taste of things to come for him and he's going to make the jump.
    Spurs' new stadium need to be complete, so he can fulfill his promise to lead the team into it. Howe going to Tottenham only makes sense and is the right move, career wise (United probably would have been one step too far at this time). He'll blend right in and he'll be a managers most players there will give a chance to.
    Been buzzing for the past 2 days though because things could finally be looking up for us, finally. Knock on wood. Watching our team getting worse and worse, on top of becoming the object of fun from oppo fans, was not a fun prospect in the least.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got money. Tons of it: Poch needs to be treated like a player signing ( it's totally worth it) and yes Levy won't make it easy, but whatever it takes (or just about).
    In the end though, the day Poch hints at being interested in the job, it will pretty much be game over.

20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Then cut it out quick before it's tied to a ********ing sponsorship deal.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    And Paul Mitchell as a DoF. This would be probably the best bit of business and redeeming action for Woodward.

23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am have to agree to @MizzouMUFC view of things. United are business that just realized they should have adapted to what the competition has been doing for the past 5 years at least. So they decided that in year 6 of the 3 year re-build, time to blow it up and get with the program. This season is lost to upper management. I mean we have outside chance at top 4 most likely top 6, but you have key players not trying to talk about re-signing until Mou is gone and the most expensive transfer ever rotting on the bench. So with all of that how do you still keep fan excitement and get bums in seats. Change the manager, but to who since no one you really want is gonna be available now. Give them OGS!!

Now look at how we are all excited, the players get to go into the offseason with some joy and can await the next manager. My question thought is Why have we decided on a coach and not DoF first? Why would we saddle a new DoF with coach he may not like/want/or familiar with. This needs to be done right. Finish Carrigton, get the DoF then get the coach.

the fumbler repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems pretty clear that the search/appointment for a DoF is, in a very real way, tied with the next manager search. Woodward looks to be set in Poch, almost no matter what. The guy who appears to be the front-runner now for the DoF position is Paul Mitchell, a guy who has worked previously with Pochettino at Soton, where they both had success in their respective roles and were said to be pretty close of one another.
    Paul Mitchell may not be the sexy or known name we know of and wanted, but the more I get to know more about him, frankly it's hard not to get excited by him possibly getting the job. And as it's been said multiple times lately, the next 6-8mos are very important and we have to get it right: we'll see how things ultimately shape out, but it looks like things are heading in the right direction. It could be morning for the club and it's fans very, very soon.

25. the fumbler

the fumbler Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Denmark
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But one of the main reasons for getting a DoF should be to restrict Woodwards influence on the sporting side. If he calls the shots regardless - why hire a DoF?
    In my opinion it would make much more sense to appoint a DoF and let him decide who the managerial targets are.

Deadtigers repped this.