Intriguing Managers Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by reddevilmike, Aug 7, 2018.

1. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    United hire the perfect manager to ensure they stay in Europe.
    [​IMG]

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #152 Ashur, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    I wonder what is "foolhardy" by keeping one's options open... I've stated that Lukaku needs to be given a fair look. We've committed ourselves to him, so there's really no choice in the matter.
    He's a solid striker, but at the price we paid, I expect us to end up with an elite striker, which still remains to be seen, despite me rooting for him and my desire to see him do well. His production and performance level has been discussed enough and ultimately, like most offensive players on the team, he gets a pass and we'll see how he performs once a new manager comes in.
    But it's no reason to bury our heads in the sand when it comes to his weaknesses or pretend he's anywhere near elite when he's not: Kane, Suarez, Lewa just to name them, he is not.
    My biggest problem with him has always been his inconsistency, especially when it comes to big games: it was an issue with Everton, it is with Belgium (after being excellent in the group stage of this past WC, he did not score in the knockout rounds, as a reminder) and it's been with us as well.
    Now we've overlooked this because we were desperate for a striker who could score, but also because we believe it's something he can improve upon. That's all I want to see from him, personally. As stated, don't really care for his other shortcomings, as long as he can bang goals in on the reg, against weak and strong teams alike.
    Icardi, we know for a fact is as clutch as they come. And if Lukaku does not show improvement in that area, I'll ask again, what is "foolhardy" in considering an upgrade? One we know at this time can be available for the taking...

3. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have no issue with anything you posted. Not every comment is addressed to you personally you know.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your reply is literally following my post on the subject. Not sure how else I was supposed to take it as, you know....

5. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm sure Ed will select the right man.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's pretty obviously addressed to the guy suggesting we get rid of Lukaku don't you think?

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #158 Ashur, Dec 18, 2018
    At the very least, it looked like you might have been addressing the both of us. Particularly if you couldn't bother to quote him directly, even with another post clearly in between yours and his.
    I have no interest to belabor on this point further tbh. I thought you were responding to me as well and I have posted my reply. That's it really... And in the end, calling someone foolhardy because in their opinion they believe Icardi a better option than Lukaku is unnecessary, if nothing else...

thenamestsam repped this.
  9. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Okay, sorry if it wasn't clear. Your post wasn't between when I started typing. I don't think preferring Icardi is foolish - he's really good. I just think deciding Lukaku is a bust without seeing how he looks in a good attacking team first is silly, which we seem to agree on. Overall, I do not think Icardi would have fared much better under Mou than Lukaku did (although over the last few months Lukaku has clearly been struggling, not uncommon for a player coming off a long world cup). Lukaku may need to be upgraded eventually, but many people seem ready to be done with him already, which is what I was calling foolhardy. He deserves a real shot in a real team here as do all the players who have been shackled by Jose.

benni... repped this.
  10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Exactly. He has a bit of a hangover and our system is such that he get one maybe two chances all game. I think they say the best in the world are usually 1 for 4. So think about that.

I also like that he doesn't just wait for the ball he will move create space for others and try to contribute to the attack in some way.

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This is the thing about the Sanchez purchase that bothers me about an out of form Rome. In theory we have 4 strikers that can play CF so if Rome is dealing with a WC hangover, we cut his workload the first half of the season and use the other 3 but we never saw that. So why did we get Sanchez??

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #162 Ashur, Dec 18, 2018

Not a problem and by and large, as stated, we are in agreement. It's way too early to think about letting Lukaku go, without seeing what he can under a different manager and a new system. The same goes for all our players really and the point made by some that no one can be judged as long as Mourinho is around, was a correct one.
    The slate is wiped clean for everyone and it's an opportunity for a new start. Up to them to rise to the challenge and prove their worth.
    I want and hope Lukaku will succeed here, but the CF position is way too vital for keeping someone who does not produce at the level expected for a United 9. The fact that he does not have anyone behind him, to push him if nothing else, has always been an issue for me. At the very least, perhaps that is so he needs to have be at his very best and more, where we need him to be. Kind of why I would like to see Sanchez used in a more central role in his return, as an alternative/supplement to Lukaku. That looks like the best use of him in our team.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's looking like Ole is all but done as United's temporary manager and the announcement is just a matter of time. Tomorrow perhaps?
    As stated earlier, if it ends up being OGS, with Phelan, Carrick and McKenna, I'll be absolutely delighted: as United we could get (which we need). And with a great mix of the old and newer school. But definitely a with a "United" state of mind.

Deadtigers and Chaz Striker repped this.
  14. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Ole but I'm a bit confused why he would jump ship from Molde mid-season and coach United for a few months? Would it be a try out for other potential PL jobs if he does well enough?

Deadtigers and jeff070 repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #165 Ashur, Dec 18, 2018
    Norway's season is done at the moment. They're in their off season until March. The idea is surely to use this opportunity as a springboard towards a bigger job, presumably in England I suppose. Which I wouldn't fault him for tbh: time for him to take another crack at a job in a significant league.

16. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see. Well even if the season is over for them, I would not expect him to go back after United's season is over. Which is what I was initially thinking could be the case. This is def him trying to dip his feet back into PL management.

17. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It was REALLY clear.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, johno and benni... repped this.
  18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Honestly though, if you don't have a twinge of excitement to see OGS signed as temp manager, then I don't know why you support the club. The season is lost and he (and the supporters) has nothing to lose. Maybe we'll even pull some upsets and at least be able to help derail Liverpool winning the league.

Regarding the speak on Romelu, most here understand that there were facets to his game that we haven't gotten the most of.

jnielsen, Futbol_Head, J'can and 2 others repped this.
  20. Jack Donaghy

Jack Donaghy New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 9, 2018
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only for 6mos, Ole being United manager could be a major blessing to Rashford and Lukaku both. Surely he'd have a thing or two he could teach those guys. Just as important, they'll get the coaching they need as well. Finally.

22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    In a post on the club’s official website which looks back on Solskjær’s finest moment in a Manchester United jersey, the 1999 Champions League final the following caption is attached

‘Solskjær becomes our interim manager’

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition, Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg has since congratulated Solskjær on what now looks to be the imminent confirmation of his installation as Red Devils’ caretaker manager:

Great day for Norwegian football. Good luck keeping control of the Red Devils, @ olegs26_ole

— Erna Solberg (@erna_solberg) December 18, 2018

23. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    OGS is quite a good temporary hire. I think it's critical to assess this decision with the understanding that most tangible on field goals for this season are all but out the window. Either a top-4 finish or winning the CL is a pipe dream (not sure it has sunk in to the fanbase at large how unlikely getting top-4 is); winning the FA cup would be nice but doesn't move the needle.

The most important things we can do with the remainder of this year are 1) put in place a strong structure going forward 2) restore the spirit to the club that has been sucked away by Mou's constant negativity and strife. As far as objective 2, OGS is clearly a perfect fit - nothing more needs to be said. And as far as objective 1, I like that they didn't rush to make a permanent hire. We absolutely must hire a DoF and get to a position as a club where we have a footballing philosophy that incorporates the manager but is not defined by him. And frankly, OGS's thin resume helps us here. He won't stand in the way of putting that structure in place the way Mou allegedly did, and when the time comes to make a permanent hire there shouldn't be any bad feeling about setting him aside as he will have reaped the rewards as well of a huge opportunity that would never have come his way otherwise.

As I said earlier, my only worry is that there will be temptation to make him permanent. It's a certainty that if he does even decently there will be a significant element of the fanbase that will be clamoring for him. Assuming we have made a DoF hire by then (and we had better) it will be a big test to make a decision that will probably be unpopular among a lot of fans (particularly the match-going ones) but is necessary to get in the best manager possible.

24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Facts

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is still a clear hierarchy or order Ole falls way behind of in terms of who we want permanently, even if he somehow accomplished the impossible (is top 4)
    No one is expecting that much from him, granted but it would be only normal if some people did under those circumstances.
    But even so, I don't think there is anyone who would prefer the club to get Ole permanently, without even trying for Poch, ZZ or some else with a better pedigree.